Computer Related > New Virus warnings Computing Issues
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 10

New Virus warnings - BobbyG
Re these new virus warnings that have been issued which amongst other things, can lock all your files until you pay dosh.

What happens if you open these on an android or iphone as opposed to on a PC?

I tend to open most of my emails in the first instance on my android and my missus only uses emails on her iphone?

Obviously very aware of what to look for etc but curious as to whether they have the same powers on a phone?
 New Virus warnings - Stuartli
I use Advanced Mobile Care on my HTC phone:

www.iobit.com/advanced-mobile-care.php

It's free and offered by a well respected software company who deal with Windows systems protection software as well. Just ensure you update the antivirus protection regularly.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Wed 4 Jun 14 at 00:17
 New Virus warnings - No FM2R
A virus is written for a particular operating system. Windows in an operating system (OS), as is Unix, as is Android (based on Linux) and is iOS.

A virus is specific to that operating system and to all intents and purposes does not migrate between them.

The likelihood of a virus therefore relates to how popular or viable a target is. There has always been less iOS viruses, not because Apple operating systems are inherently more secure, but because the target is smaller and therefore less attractive.

Thus, you will not get the same virus on your android. However, they are becoming a more attractive target, and it is likely to happen in the future as there becomes more banking and similar information held on such devices.

As for virus scanners and the like on a phone, I am unconvinced. Virus scanners on a PC rely heavily, although not totally, on a database of previous viruses and look for similarities in code or approach. There isn't that raft of historical information for a telephone, so I am not sure how much they really know what they are l9oking for.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 4 Jun 14 at 01:34
 New Virus warnings - rtj70
For an Android phone, the applications written as Java (or perhaps C/C++ for some parts) needs to be installed before running. And probably from the Google Play Store (or Amazon) unless you've downloaded it as an APK file and turned on the option to only from unknown sources - and then you get asked if you want to install it.

So, if you install a dodgy app from somewhere it might have a dodgy payload. If you don't install anything dodgy that risk is removed. But note there have been 'anti virus apps' in the Google store that do absolutely nothing.

Another risk for any browser, regardless of operating system platform (so iPhones, Android phones, Windows phones, Windows PC, Mac's, Linux PCs, etc.) is there is code in a web page that does something malicious. But again the risk for this is greater on PCs because of how browsers interact with the operating system and the scripts/code options available.

Another exploit as mentioned in the OP is the phishing attempts in emails. But usually there is a link to a dodgy website or a payload that they hope you'll run to install something.

The main risk with any phone or computer is the user is stupid enough to run something they really shouldn't.
www.bbc.com/news/technology-27703318

As with all these things the best safety is a backup.

As well as not installing anything, reading anything or opening anything that you do not know to be trustworthy.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 5 Jun 14 at 14:14
 New Virus warnings - BobbyG
On one of the websites, was it Money Saving Experts, they provided a link to free scanning one of which was Microsoft Defender.
But when I tried to run it I got a warning that it was not certified and not safe!
I then discovered I actually have the defender on my Win 7 computer but I couldn't get it to run!!
>>I then discovered I actually have the defender on my Win 7 computer but I couldn't get it to run!!

You need to check into that. A constant concern is that viruses and similar often run off security software.

I have W7 and use MSE, which I believe includes Defender - so there may simply be confusion.

So just check that you have the correct things running and that if it is not running, that there is nothing preventing.
 New Virus warnings - Stuartli
WindowsUpdate should offer definition updates each Tuesday and Friday for Defender.
 New Virus warnings - Mike Hannon
I was looking at Ebay this morning, out of boredom because it's so hot outside - haven't been on there for months and haven't bought anything for years - and got the message telling me to change my password. I failed to achieve this, mainly because my email address on there is years out of date and their customer helplines seem to be swamped. While I was trying to do this I got one of these pop-ups that said my browser or computer had been locked and it would cost me £100 to unlock it. I have heard about this. Anyway, my browser - an ancient version of Safari on my even more ancient Mac G4 isn't blocked and everything seems to be working normally. I've changed our banking passwords etc just case but should I be worried about this?
No, I don't think so. But you should know what caused the pop up, if only to avoid doing it again.
 New Virus warnings - Mike Hannon
I think Ebay and I are finished forever...
Latest Forum Posts