Computer Related > Disappearing Favorites Computing Issues
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 12

Disappearing Favorites - Ambo
I have about 15 Favorites folders with an average of 20 entries in each. The first, Arts & Audiovisual, has disappeared three times recently and has had to be re-built. What can be causing this?
 Disappearing Favorites - smokie
Dunno but you may as well back them up to save rebuilds, which browser?
 Disappearing Favorites - bathtub tom
I've been meaning to back up my bookmarks, but blowed if I can find where they're stored.

I'm running firefox and googling the question tells you to go to the help/options sub-menu, but the layout seems to have changed since that was published.

Anyone help another dinosaur?
My Browser is IE11
Well in IE I'd just Export them to somewhere (hot Alt button to bring up menus, then under File you have Export)

I expect the option is similar in FireFox.
 Disappearing Favorites - No FM2R
Internet Explorer..

Click on "File". If you do not have the option "File", then right-click on the top border of the IE window and ensure that the Menu Bar is checked.

Run down the menu and click on "Import and Export"

Click Export to a File

Click on Favourite

Select the ones you wish to export. If you select the top level, they will all get exported.

Choose (and remember) a file name and location.

Did that do the trick?
Waterfox (which should be the same as Firefox)

Ensure menu bar is enabled

Click Bookmarks
Click show all bookmarks
Click import and backup

Follow the prompts...

OK?
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 7 Jun 14 at 16:02
Pretty much what Smokie said, though he was quicker than me!
Yes, it did work, sort of. I stumbled on Export before reading your post and did not note where the file has gone. I will try it again and make a note tis time.

I seem to recall from about two computers back that this file copy has all the entries but not in alphabetical order. I believe the links did not work either but at least I had the file titles.
You can always search your entire disk for files created on the day you backed up. Or just do it again.

I think by default IE will go to C:UsersDocumentsbookmark.htm
>>I believe the links did not work either but at least I had the file titles.

It generates a file which is mostly only useful if at some point in the future you re-import it.
>>>Did that do the trick?
Yes, thanks
 Disappearing Favorites - Roger.
You can back up everything (except passwords) both in Firefox & Thunderbird with a nice little free utility called Mozbackuop - here is the developer's page:- mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/
Works a treat.
For passwords in Firefox use the FF add-on Password Exporter 1.2.1.
This happily exports them to a location of your choice and will import them from there on demand.
Useful utilities, especially if you do a Windows re-install.
Latest Forum Posts