Computer Related > Scam BT emails Computing Issues
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 6

Scam BT emails - Ambo
I use BT and got an email, apparently from them, addressed not to me by name but to "Dear Customer". It refers to to "Planned Software Upgrade" and invites me to enter my details.

BT confirmed it was probably a scam and emailed me links to useful guides to scams and phishing.

I often get claims that they have a billing problem with me although payments go through as planned. These I ignore.
 Scam BT emails - Aretas
A couple of days ago I got a particularly realistic looking scam that was pretending to be Amazon. One giveaway was that it showed the sender as amazon.com rather than, for us UK customers, amazon.co.uk
 Scam BT emails - Robin O'Reliant
Any email that invites me to provide personal details automatically goes in the junk folder.
 Scam BT emails - Roger.
You can use Trusteer Endpoint Protection (free) which is available from a number of UK banks as well as from Trusteer, to protect ANY site, not just your on-line banking.
Basically once you protect a site a green icon appears, next to your address bar, if you are at the real site. Unprotected sites - such as a forum like this - display a grey icon
If you click on a link in a phishing email which purports to take you to one of your protected sites it wont!
I protect my on-line banking, eBay, Facebook & Twitter in this way.
Last edited by: Roger. on Mon 16 Jun 14 at 20:24
 Scam BT emails - Robin O'Reliant
Trusteer slowed my PC to the point it became almost unusable, something others have also found.
 Scam BT emails - Dulwich Estate
I got a very (but not quite) believable scam email from BT. It appeared to originate from the right place too.
 Scam BT emails - WillDeBeest
Some of the BT scam mails have looked very convincing, especially around the time of the switchover from BT Yahoo to BT Mail.

Sadly, the new BT Mail interface is so unusably awful that the consequences of clicking one of the phishing links might (almost) have been preferable.
Latest Forum Posts