Computer Related > Win 7 June 2014 updates Computing Issues
Thread Author: .... Replies: 11

Win 7 June 2014 updates - ....
Anyone else lost their gadgets as a result of the latest updates ?

I installed all (9 I think it was) updates from Microsoft yesterday. Booted up the machine this morning and noticed my gadgets had gone.
I've gone back and removed KB2800095 (Update for Win 7 for x64-based Systems) rebooted and the gadgets are now back and working.

This is on Win 7 Ultimate 64
 Win 7 June 2014 updates - Duncan
What do you mean by 'gadgets'?
Clock, calendar, antivirus notification etc... which you can add to the desktop.
 Win 7 June 2014 updates - Duncan
I downloaded this when it was offered on Wednesday? IIRC I had some minor problem with the download*, but then it all seemed to work. The clock and the date are in the usual place in the bottom right hand corner of the screen.

Did I have to turn off MSE?
Gadgets are also known as the Windows 7 sidebar, that's different to the taskbar you are referring to.
 Win 7 June 2014 updates - Slidingpillar
Vista gadgets are supposed to be a hackers/viri way in and don't exist in Windows 8/8.1 for that reason. I wonder if your update has removed them?
The release note from Microsoft talks about repairing a USB smart card reader device and Wudfhost.exe process crashes and the smart card interface is not available.
 Win 7 June 2014 updates - No FM2R
I run Win 7 Ultimate 64, it installed that update on 11th June, I run three gadgets in the side bar.

I have no similar issues.
 Win 7 June 2014 updates - Pat
I downloaded them all on Wednesday and my gadgets are just fine gmac!

Pat
 Win 7 June 2014 updates - Stuartli
No problems here.
 Win 7 June 2014 updates - Roger.
Gadgets have been identified as a security risk by MS and are no longer available, or supported.

windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/gadgets
Last edited by: Roger. on Mon 16 Jun 14 at 20:17
To close this off, thanks to everyone for their replies.

After the initial install of the patches as I described above, my gadgets disappeared.
I uninstalled the individual patch mentioned above which restored the gadgets. The release notes for this patch made no reference to gadgets.
Installed that specific patch a second time, gadgets still working. Strange.

I know Microsoft have said gadgets are a security weakness. For general browsing I use an account which is partitioned away from everything else on the machine and do not use gadgets in that account.
Latest Forum Posts