Computer Related > Keypad problems Computing Issues
Thread Author: sooty123 Replies: 8

Keypad problems - sooty123
I've just come to use my samsung laptop after a couple of weeks of sitting on the shelf and the bottom row of letters don't work and a few on the middle row work fine. None of them look as they have been knocked or dislodged. I've not come across this before, anyone any ideas?
 Keypad problems - No FM2R
Typically spillage.

Of course it could be hardware failure, but could a spill have occurred?

If so, you need to disconnect the keyboard and spray something in there which will remove the mess and then evaporate. Could be alcohol, nail varnish remover, pledge etc. etc pretty much anything that you have to hand and which will dry without remaining sticky.

Spray enough in there to cause the offending mess to be dissolved and washed out. Then let it dry THOROUGHLY before plugging it back in.
I don't think it is a spillage, it was just sat on the shelf for 2 weeks. But I'll try some cleaner on it. The keyboard though is integral to the laptop.
>> is integral to the laptop.

Unplug and pop the battery out and then clean. Replug and insert battery when dry.
 Keypad problems - ....
>> The keyboard though is integral to the laptop.
>>
As mentioned disconnect the battery and start dis-assembly.
The keyboard will pop out.
Your preferred search engine and YouTube will turn up videos of how to do it for your specific model. The keyboard usually has a few clips holding it in place.
 Keypad problems - spamcan61
Could be tricky on some cheaper laptops as the keyboard really is integral on some.

I'd start by doing a full on power down and battery out then reboot, to make sure it's not a software glitch. does an external keybaord plugged in via USB work properly?
If it is spillage you don't need to take the keyboard out, just soak it where it is.

If it is a communication problem, like cable or hardware, then the keyboard needs to be removed and refitted.
I tried cleaning in situ and waiting for the cleaner to dry, still the same.
Thanks for the tip to look on youtube, i'll take it apart and clean it again see if that makes any difference.
yes a plug in keyboard works fine.
Latest Forum Posts