Computer Related > Ext HD problem Computing Issues
Thread Author: sooty123 Replies: 10

Ext HD problem - sooty123
I've come to use my Samsung 500GB ext HD and I can't get power to it. Tried a different lead two different laptops, different USB ports, but the light won't come on and I can feel it's not running as it makes a small humming noise when on. Anyone any ideas?
Thanks.
 Ext HD problem - No FM2R
Presumably nothing has changed since the last time you used it?

It may well be the leads you're using even though you've tried two. Do you have one that you know has worked with that disc?

If there's anything important on the disc it may be worth investigating the approach of taking it apart and putting the actual disc into another caddy from somewhere like Maplins.
No not that I know of.

The original one that is on it worked last week. I'll try the lead on something else though to make sure.

I assume the caddy, is a term for the 'case'?
 Ext HD problem - No FM2R
Sorry, yes it is. Can also be called an "enclosure".

This sort of thing...

www.maplin.co.uk/p/probox-25-inch-sata-usb-20-enclosure-a38kj
OK I'll have a look and order one. I take it the working parts aren't too difficult to swap over?
 Ext HD problem - No FM2R
Firstly this is assuming that this will solve the problem, it is possible for the disk itself to have died.

I would take apart your existing one first. It should simply be a matter of unplugging the disk and plugging it into a new case.

Scroll down on this link to see what the disks actually look like..

www.explainingcomputers.com/storage.html

This is really a process to follow to save data. If you have no information on the disk that you care about, I would buy a new one.
Normally I would buy another, unfortunatly it's full of things I need. Holiday snaps, films I copied over the years etc.
OK I've had a fiddle, taken the drive out (helpfully snapping half the clips in the process) and got it working. There's a fabric part near the micro usb port, I squeezed on the and the light turned on, all working fine. Good warning for a back up though!

Thanks for the tips No FM2R.

Ext HD problem - spamcan61
If you're happy with random ebay sellers this is an awful lot cheaper than maplin, I've bought a couple from here:-

tinyurl.com/mfd7quy
 Ext HD problem - rtj70
Sounds like the case is broken if squeezing it got it working.... Time for a new case. And time for another copy (or more) of files that are important to you.
The plastic was fine, it wasn't on the metal surround either. It's some fabric near the micro USB socket. Yes ordered and on the way!
Latest Forum Posts