Computer Related > Downgraded ! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: borasport Replies: 5

Downgraded ! - borasport
I've had to resurrect an old XP PC as my windows 7 PC is a bit poorly
The old PC is an Asus Terminator 2.4 gig and is just used for email (outlook express) browsing (google chrome) and I've installed AVG and it is as slow as a very slow thing, as Baldrick would say.
Chrome and AVG seem to be constantly consuming processor power, you can boot it up and go away and make a brew, a very, very, strong brew before coming back to it and being able to do anything constructive
Even though AVG isn't scheduled to do any scans on boot AFAIK, it appears to

Any recommondations for browsers/AV that dont mean I have to wait quarter of an hour before I use it every time I turn it on ?
 Downgraded ! - devonite
I would begin by removing AVG and installing Avast free Antivirus, then I would install spybot s/d. set it to advance mode to give you access to the "tools" menu, choose "Start-up" from menu, and then right-click on the double arrowed tab on rhs of window. Highlight the different items in the list and uncheck any that spybot tells you are "not required" or "user preference".
Then do a "check for problems" scan, fix any issues it finds, then shutdown and reboot.
should speed it up quite a bit!

HTH

Spybot S/D version 1.62 is the easiest to use, there is a later version which is more complex, but 1.62 is kept fully supported and updated.
Last edited by: devonite on Sun 29 Jun 14 at 17:59
 Downgraded ! - devonite
www.safer-networking.org/mirrors16/
 Downgraded ! - smokie
Try a safe boot and see if is considerably quicker. It almost definitely will be.

When it is up and running make sure you have no devices configured which are no longer there, it will often search for stuff during boot and wait a bit to see if it finds it.

Run msconfig and check what is starting at boot time, disable the stuff you don't think is required.
 Downgraded ! - VxFan
>> I would begin by removing AVG

Wot he said. AVG is very bloated and makes old machines very sloowww.

As soon as I removed AVG from my old Win-XP machine and installed MSE there was a considerable improvement.

>> install Avast free Antivirus

Unfortunately when I ditched MSE for Avast, it slowed the PC down again. Not as bad as AVG did, but it was still noticeable.
 Downgraded ! - Stuartli
Avast! has never slowed my system down and I've been using it for some years.....

It replaced AVG...:-) About two or three times a year it nabs a nasty in the bud, otherwise everything is, as they say, is as smooth as silk.
Latest Forum Posts