Computer Related > Samsung Smart TV Wireless Computing Issues
Thread Author: nice but dim Replies: 19

Samsung Smart TV Wireless - nice but dim
Good afternoon folks, does anyone have experience of recent Samsung Smart TV's where you can purchase a wireless adapter to connect to a wireless network and stream from devices connected to the WLAN?

How would it connect to a PC? Does the adapter come with an app for Windows which allows you to select what you want to view?

The TV doesn't allow VGA connections and LAN isn't feasible for where it is situated. We want to be able to view PowerPoint presentations on the TV (is in a reception area)

Thanks
 Samsung Smart TV Wireless - Roger.
We have a Samsung smart TV which is now 15 months. old.
If yours is truly "smart" it likely is wi-fi enabled.
Ours has built in wifi and with Samsung "All Share" free software on a PC/laptop, one can certainly stream videos and view photos. I've never used it to show documents.
Whether it will accept live TV streaming from a PC, I don't know - but why would you want it to?
Last edited by: Roger. on Fri 4 Jul 14 at 17:24
Roger - can you advise how to do the All Share software please?

I have got the Wi-Fi adapter connected and it is connected to the WLAN with an IP address. There is a definite lack of information on the internet for this - I'm surprised.
The Samsung All Share needs to be downloaded from Samsung, and installed on your PC or laptop - although it appears it has been superseded by an"improved" version, so I'm not properly familiar with how to work the new version!
Luckily, I have the original program installer saved should I need it.
If you start the Allshare program (or its successor) after making sure your TV has its wireless switched on, it should find your TV, by model number, if I recall correctly, and you then link the TV to your Allshare app.
Allshare can be a bit buggy, but a Google search will give advice. I must admit I don't use it a lot, so my recollection of detailed use is pretty hazy!
Last edited by: Roger. on Wed 6 Aug 14 at 15:22
Thanks Roger, my boss was up all today playing with it and he is very into new technology and he said it cant be done - end of. Taking it back to Tesco tonight and refund I think, see what happens there!

We are going to go with a HDMI solution with Intel WiDi wireless broadcast, our new Dell laptops support that.
 Samsung Smart TV Wireless - No FM2R
Its difficult, since the variations are many without trying it is problematic to be sure that it will work or not. If it does work, then it will do what you want.

However, you may wish to think about a coax-out from the PC. A TV-Out card and a bit of coax is pretty cheap. Although if LAN is not suitable, perhaps no cable solution will work. How is the TV fed at the moment?
 Samsung Smart TV Wireless - rtj70
Sounds like this TV is in a commercial premises as you mention reception area. If you need to run PowerPoint presentations, are these created to auto run through times slides?

Most SmartTVs will normally be able to connect to a media share using the DNLA protocol and allow you to watch video stored there (typically in MPEG4 or M4V files). What they don't allow you to do is stream the content of a remote PC screen to the TV.

So some thoughts:

1. Can a PC be connected via HDMI - or is it too far away?
2. Convert the presentations to MPEG4/M4V format and play them - probably just off a USB stick though for ease.
3. Get a Google Chromecast (so SmartTV is irrelevant) and stream presentation from Google Drive

Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 4 Jul 14 at 18:50
>>probably just off a USB stick though for ease.

And that's probably exactly the right, simple and easy answer.
It is. We don't know the version of PowerPoint he has access to. But saving/converting to a WMV file is an option in the later versions. Might then need to covert WMV to something else for the TV?
Thanks for all replies, at the moment all the TV has is power and that's it. We were looking for something that the receptionist can easily update and send to the TV like visitor names and other messages as well as having the company branding scrolling. It doesn't have Wifi built in Rog, confirmed that. Its not such a 'smart TV' it seems.
Any thoughts on powerline adapters in this scenario, how would it affect the core network?
Even if you could plug it in with a power line adapter or directly into an Ethernet socket on the corporate network, what do you hope to do? Sounds like you want it to mirror what's on a PC in reception. You mention people's names, messages etc.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 4 Jul 14 at 21:54
Yes that right run off a dedicated PC from under reception desk.
I will do some testing with LAN and see what it possible to display, if it comes to have cabling run it might have to be.
 Samsung Smart TV Wireless - Slidingpillar
I don't approve of power line stuff on principle. Ring mains are not designed for radio frequencies and radiate horribly. Spoil MW and SW reception. I was however on the RSGB (Radio Society of Great Britain) EMC (Electro Magnetic Compatibility) committee so that view is hardly a surprise.
Powerline stuff works just fine, and is proven and vastly more advanced than when it started. You just need a clean run between the sockets.
 Samsung Smart TV Wireless - smokie
Someone said above about long HDMI. I just accidentally bought a device which runs HDMI over Cat6 (I think it would work over 5e too). Accidental because I didn't read the spec and was thinking I could use existing network, whereas this is a cheapie and requires a dedicated cable. It was under £20 incl delivery. So with an HDMI port on the PC you could run it as a second monitor over Ethernet (but not your network, that costs more). I think it's good for 30 metres.

If you want to buy such a device cheap, let me know. I tried returning it but they wouldn't play.
 Samsung Smart TV Wireless - Slidingpillar
Powerline works - never said it didn't.

But, and it's a big one, it raises the radio frequency noise floor. And if your hobby involves the finding of weak radio frequency signals, then this is an issue. Although better and more recent powerline adaptors do filter out known broadcast bands, it's quite surprising just how far a weak signal will go. There really is a radio amateurs club for those who communicated at 1 million miles per watt.

There are perfectly good systems out there that are designed to carry radio frequencies, so using the mains which isn't, is just not logical (with apologies to Gene Roddenbury).
 Samsung Smart TV Wireless - Fenlander
I know nothing of the tech stuff (and that can be a help sometimes) re Wi-Fi and powerline etc but I can say the powerline setup we have in this house has been the most reliable method of connecting PC/broadband hub/TV digibox etc.

It works perfectly and doesn't interfere with anything else we use.
tinyurl.com/o5y2dcp
Latest Forum Posts