Computer Related > Sharing New-Google-Maps links Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Mapmaker Replies: 14

Sharing New-Google-Maps links - Mapmaker
It should be easy. The instructions

support.google.com/maps/answer/3727220?hl=en#3727220

say: click on the gear wheel and Select Share and embed the map.

That option isn't there for me. It never has been in New Google Maps. Am I blind, stupid or what?
 Sharing New-Google-Maps links - smokie
Works for me, in Chrome and IE.

Do you have the gear wheel at all (bottom right)? It also has My Places, History and Search Settings in the pop-up
 Sharing New-Google-Maps links - Mapmaker
I have discovered that the missing bit is in streetview. So if you want to link to a streetview place (exceptionally useful when giving directions to somebody) you have to switch back to 'Old Google Maps'.
 Sharing New-Google-Maps links - rtj70
Works fine for me in Safari on the Mac.
 Sharing New-Google-Maps links - Slidingpillar
Generally speaking, I use Streetmap as the arrow can be moved to suit.

Example, W12 7RJ is one of many postcodes assigned to BBC TV Centre (yes, I know the BBC don't use it now).

And:
www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=523180&y=180541&z=0&sv=w12+7rj&st=2&pc=w12+7rj&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf

will put you there.

And this:
www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=523173&y=180912&z=106&sv=523173,180912&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=703&ax=523173&ay=180912&lm=0

gives you the front door of where I last worked. Don't need to know the postcode, it allows you to move the arrow to suit you.

As a result, any website I'm involved in that gives a "where are we?" uses this as I can correct the arrow to the right place and not the sometimes unhelpful one given by the postcode.
 Sharing New-Google-Maps links - Focusless
>> So if you want to
>> link to a streetview place (exceptionally useful when giving directions to somebody) you have to
>> switch back to 'Old Google Maps'.

Apparently you just copy/paste the URL in the browser's address field. Seems to work. If you want a shortened link though you have to do it yourself.
>> If you want a shortened link though you have to do it yourself.

If you want to shorten it, the cog menu lets you choose a shortened version before copying.
Which cog menu? It's not in my new maps cog menu.
In the cogs when you click Share and Embed you get a tickbox for a short URL
Last edited by: smokie on Sat 26 Jul 14 at 07:31
I don't see a Share and Embed in the Streetview cog.
Oops I was looking at maps not streetview. Nor do I.
It was maps I was looking at and clicked on the cog icon.
Right - it's Streetview that was Mapmaker's problem.
>> Right - it's Streetview that was Mapmaker's problem.

But he's wanting to do something in Google maps' Streetview that it does not offer. Hardly Google's fault is it? It's not a problem - its wanting to use a feature that does not exist.
>> But he's wanting to do something in Google maps' Streetview that it does not offer.
>> Hardly Google's fault is it? It's not a problem - its wanting to use a
>> feature that does not exist.

But it does in 'classic' maps - it appears to have been removed from 'new' maps. If you are used to seeing a 'create link' feature, and in the new improved version it's disappeared, it does look like a step backwards.

But it's not really an issue if you are aware of the option to just copy the URL from the browser address bar, which IIRC you couldn't do previously (might be wrong). Just the shorten link option seems to be missing.
Last edited by: Focusless on Sat 26 Jul 14 at 20:02
Latest Forum Posts