Computer Related > broadband problems Computing Issues
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 2

broadband problems - Focusless
I've got my Sky router plugged into the BT test socket, but I'm still only getting 3 or 4Mbps (or less) instead of the usual 12 or 13. Running broadbandspeedchecker, there's an initial burst for about a second or less where it might get up to 7, then it drops down to 0, then recovers to 3 or 4, were it typically stays for the rest of the test. This seems to be repeatable. I'm using a cable (same on wifi), and tests using phones give similar results.

Earlier, before taking apart the BT/OpenReach box, I talked to a Sky technical help person with whom we tried a different microfilter, and making sure nothing else was connected. She said they are seeing 15+Mbps at their end.

We didn't get as far as trying the test socket together, as it's a bit inaccessible and it was obviously going to take me some time to take the faceplate off; she's ringing back tomorrow morning. It was only after the call that I managed to remove the faceplate and try plugging in. It doesn't appear to make any difference.

Hopefully it'll be fixed tomorrow, but anyone like to hazard a guess? Router on the blink?
Err... I'm using a different speed checker (Ookla) and it's showing 13Mbps.

However the other one is reading more than it did before, so I still think there might be something wrong, or at least there was.

Will have another go tomorrow morning before Sky ring back.
Now Ookla on my Samsung S4 is reporting 2Mbps, while I'm still getting 13Mbps on the laptop (using wifi). Odd.
Last edited by: Focusless on Sat 26 Jul 14 at 21:52
Latest Forum Posts