Computer Related > Phone apps. Great when they work Legal Questions
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 7

Phone apps. Great when they work - legacylad
I am admittedly a bit of a technophobe. Some might say a Luddite, but at least I try!
My Lumia 800 is ok, and I have put several apps onto it. A few months ago my Metradar app stopped functioning, when touched a page appeared saying ERROR at the top, followed by gobbledygook and OK in a square at the bottom of the page. The only way to get back into my phone is yo close it down and restart it. Shame really because I liked that app.

The Lumia 800 has been connected to my laptop, and 90 minutes later ( honestly) 4 updates had been installed. No change to this particular app though. Any suggestions please from you knowledgeable folks?
 Phone apps. Great when they work - VxFan
Have you tried uninstalling the app and reinstalling it again?
No
I wouldn't have a clue how to uninstall it. Would I have to then buy it again?
Looks like a Sunday morning job!
 Phone apps. Great when they work - VxFan
I'm only used to the iPhone, so no idea how you remove it from your phone.

With apps purchased from the Apple store, once bought they remain your property and can be deleted/reinstalled without having to purchase again.
 Phone apps. Great when they work - smokie
So this'll be Android I presume. Anything you buy or own from the Play store is yours to keep and can be downloaded again free.I don't see many different flavour of Android but on mine, if you got Settings then apps you will see your apps listed. Press and hold the app you want to uninstall and you should get a little menu up which includes uninstall.

If you don't have any personal data on the phone (or if it's backed up), and assuming you know your passwords and mail settings, as a last resort you could reset to factory settings, which will wipe everything, then you can easily re-download your required apps again from the Play store. I've done that once or twice, because in the early days I was downloading all kinds of garbage which seemed to slow the phone. You will also lose you contacts though. There are ways to back them up easily.

UPDATE: Just looked, maybe it's a Windows phone in which case I have no idea but I assume it must be similar to Windows, with a Control Panel where you manage apps.
Last edited by: smokie on Fri 1 Aug 14 at 07:18
 Phone apps. Great when they work - rtj70
He did tell us it's a Lumix 800 so Window Phone not Android. Nokia's Android based phones were the X. But they've been ditched and used a Nokia skin/UI/store/etc.

www.nokia.com/gb-en/support/product/lumia800/userguidance/?action=singleTopic&topic=GUID-F757B77D-F363-40EF-8B26-00934D7B29B7

I assume Legacylad has tried to look up how to do this before his post.
Yes rtj I did! I always try to sort 'problems' of my own before posting, and use the excellent knowledge of this forum if I cannot sort things.

Anyways, I went on the Windowsphone.com website, looked on the 'Apps & Games' section and put in MetRadar...which was the name of the app which had stopped working and would not reload properly.

Quelle surprise. Lots of unhappy folks providing feedback. The app is now on, and I quote, an ''infinite crash loop''.

The MetOffice have overhauled their website recently and now this app cannot patch into the rainfall data feed and so has become incompatible. Lots of unhappy (ex) users.

Thank you to all those who contributed and tried to help.
I shall look for another compatible Windows app showing rainfall patterns over the past 12 hours. The app was great for predicting when rain was due. Accurate as well !
 Phone apps. Great when they work - Manatee
If it's a paid app with a lot of users they'll fix it, maybe.

To remove an app just hold you finger on the tile (windows 8 anyway) and you'll get options to pin/unpin/uninstall.
Latest Forum Posts