Computer Related > The iOS Thread Computing Issues
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 48

The iOS Thread - Duncan
iOS 8.0 is now available for iPhones and iPads.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 25 Mar 16 at 01:29
 iOS8 - Zero
And currently, I would leave it where it is.
 iOS8 - movilogo
I'm stuck with iOS 4.3 in my iPad 1 :-/
 iOS8 - VxFan
>> And currently, I would leave it where it is.

Not much choice with our obsolete iPhone4.

It's also not advisable to update a iPhone4S either.

tinyurl.com/kqxlbmm - www.slate.com/blogs
bgr.com/2014/09/17/iphone-4s-and-ipad-2-ios-8-update/

Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 19 Sep 14 at 16:12
 iOS8 - Crankcase
Chucked it on the iPad 3 - not very exciting, bit slower, couple of minorly interesting bits.

Thus dismissing the blood sweat and tears of an entire development team and thousands of hours of work with some insouciance of course.

iOS8 - rtj70
>> thousands of hours of work

Probably millions of hours more like it.
 iOS8 - Runfer D'Hills
It's put wee smiley faces and stuff on my keyboard.

Little cars too. Think I'll try one here. Probably won't work of course. 🚙

Edit - blimey !
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Mon 22 Sep 14 at 22:24
 iOS8 - VxFan
>> It's put wee smiley faces and stuff on my keyboard.

I did that to mine ages ago by going to Settings and adding Emoji to the keyboard list.
 iOS8 - Duncan
On my iphone suggested words come up in a line across the top of the keyboard. I am a slow typist, I find that quite useful.
 iOS8 - rtj70
You can now install alternative keyboards too. Prior to iOS8 that was not possible.
 iOS8 - VxFan
So how did I manage to install the alternative keyboard Emoji if it wasn't possible prior to iOS8?
 iOS8 - rtj70
Was that a non-Apple supplied keyboard then for the Emoji? I thought support for non-Apple supplied keyboards was an iOS8 like Swype. I was not referring to adding keyboard functions from Apple (and option in iOS7). I was referring to using a keyboard from a third party like Swype.

I know Apple has finally caught up with keyboards on Android.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 24 Sep 14 at 09:06
 iOS8 - VxFan
>> I was not referring to adding keyboard functions from Apple

Which clears up the confusion.
 iOS8 - Crankcase
It's not all roses. I had the predictive thing turned on, so amused myself by repeatedly pressing the next suggestion on the right to see what wacky sentence it would provide. Small things amuse me.

However, it promptly learned that obviously I like typing rubbish, and then started to offer ridiculous suggestions as I typed normally. Also discovered if you type something unpleasant (like "terrorist" on Google news or some such horror) it remembers that, so next time you type the letters "te" up comes "terrorist", of course, which is a bit disconcerting, especially if someone else is using it...

Had to poke about to discover you can reset the keyboard dictionary to get it behave sensibly again.
 iOS8 - VxFan
The iOS 8.0.1 update (to resolve problems with the earlier iOS8 install) has been pulled just an hour after its release, following customer complaints.

tinyurl.com/kg83c9m - Telegraph
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 25 Sep 14 at 10:26
 iOS8 - Crankcase
They need to do something. Certainly for me everything is slower - noticeably so - especially Safari. Also had actual app crashes a couple of times, which has never happened before.

It'll get fixed by Apple in due course, and the iPad isn't used corporately so I don't mind much, but our corporate iPhones/iPads, of which we have many, I've banned from updates just yet.

iOS8 - Crankcase
Fwiw, 8.0.2 has sorted most of the performance issues for me.
 iOS8 - Focusless
And Apple have responded to the 'bending' problem:
www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/business/anything-bends-if-you-fk-about-with-it-enough-says-apple-2014092591063

:)
 iOS8 - VxFan
>> And Apple have responded to the 'bending' problem:

A more serious reply this time

www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29371113
 iOS8 - swiss tony
tinyurl.com/qfy6v56

Whoops.....
 iOS8 - VxFan
I'm so glad I've not updated my iPad yet.
 iOS8 - Boxsterboy
My iPhone 4 has now given up the ghost (well, won't charge which is as good as giving up the ghost), so now I have to decide what to do ...

Do I make the switch to Android? Or persist with Apple (but not a 6 - maybe a 5S?). And of course we can't live without a mobile these days so it will have to be a quick decision - or dare I go off the grid?

Life is never simple.
 iOS8 - VxFan
Presumably you've tried another lead and charger?

Dodgy charge socket on the phone?
Plenty of youtube clips showing how2 replace it. Part is < £5
 iOS8 - Bromptonaut
>> Presumably you've tried another lead and charger?

The USB>micro USB leads used by Android phones and many other devices are incredibly fragile and the transformer/charger units themselves little better.

We bought several cheap chargers from Amazon for use both at home and in caravan. We've now had a 'recall' notice on them refunding cost and instructing us to dispose of devices - apparently a few have self immolated.
 iOS8 - BobbyG
Colleague of mine bought an iphone charger from Apple in Glasgow and it caught fire in his house, luckily whilst he was sitting next to it.
 iOS8 - John Boy
www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30655176
 iOS8 - CGNorwich
Don't save a lot of stuff on your iPad. That's not what it's for.

iOS8 - VxFan
"Apple issued a public apology over the botched update but said only 40,000 people were affected by it."

No, only 40,000 people probably complained. The rest either didn't bother, or didn't know who to complain about it to.
 iOS8 - Duncan
My iPhone tells me that update 8.1.3 is available. Has anyone tried it?
 iOS8 - VxFan
What model iPhone is it? If it's a 4S then don't as it will slow it down to a crawl.
 iOS8 - Duncan
>> What model iPhone is it? If it's a 4S then don't as it will slow
>> it down to a crawl.
>>

It's a 5.

I'm not bothered about this. Normally I download the updates as soon as they show on my phone, but this time, for no very good reason, I thought I would ask if anyone had tried it.
 iOS8 - VxFan
>> It's a 5.

Should be ok. I'm sure they'd be plenty of complaints floating around the net if it wasn't.
 iOS8 - Zero
>> My iPhone tells me that update 8.1.3 is available. Has anyone tried it?

Yes someone is bound to have tried it.
 iOS8 - Duncan
I have just installed it and I can't tell the difference.

These are the official Apple release notes:-

support.apple.com/kb/DL1758

Looking at some of the unofficial sites, they say that if you have a jailbroken phone this update will re-lock it.
 IOS 8 - MD
Is there a worthwhile difference twixt IOS 7 and 8. I haven't bothered to load the 8 for whatever reason.

iPad 2 mini and iphone p4
 IOS 8 - Zero
nothing in 8 of value for your stuff, and unless that iPhone 4 is a 4s its not supported under iOS8 anyway. (and frankly nor is the 4s man enough for 8)
 IOS 8 - MD
Cheers
 IOS 9 - Haywain
IOS 9 has been out for a few days now but, so far, neither my wife nor I have bothered to move on from IOS 8.

I just wonder if anyone on here has tried IOS 9, and was the move successful?

Edit - BTW - that's on ipads.
Last edited by: Haywain on Tue 22 Sep 15 at 09:19
 IOS 9 - Falkirk Bairn
Grandaughter's Ipad updates crashed the tablet - known issue on some editions - so it would be advisable to wait or at least search for which models affected.
 IOS 9 - Crankcase
I put IOS9 on the iPad. It's an older iPad 2, from about 2012 I think.

So far, I've found (or confirmed) that:

None of the new features like split screening work on this model
It's chomping through the battery at an alarming rate
Searching for a mail within the mail client now takes so long you think it's crashed
Searching for a mail using Spotlight doesn't give me sensible results
The new keyboard with lower case on it feels like primary school
The new "two fingers on the keyboard to make it work like a trackpad" is not intuitive to me and I can't make it work
The new content blocking abilities of Safari can't be used on this iPad as it's too old
The whole experience is just that tiny bit slower again

Can't honestly say I've found anything positive yet.

None of this was any surprise to me - luckily the iPad is just for home playing about with and I don't have any great demands on it, so don't care too much. With hindsight, if it were possible, I'd have stuck with IOS6, which was when it performed at its best.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Tue 22 Sep 15 at 10:11
 IOS 9 - Bobby
I have updated on my iPhone 6 and am delighted that the one bugbear I have had on this phone is now resolved.
When you click a link within an email and it opens a new webpage, you now have the option of pressing a back button to go back to the original email.
Something I could always do on android but not iPhone until now.
 IOS 9 - Haywain
Thanks for the comments. My ipad is a 4th generation (retina display) model (A1458) and my wife's is a mini2 (A1489).

I've just spoken to a friend who put it on his ipad2. He hasn't had time to assess it properly yet, but his first observation was that it screwed up his internet connectivity and his e-mails somehow. I understand that seems to have sorted itself out now.

I think we might wait a week or two before trying it.
 IOS 9 - Haywain
I just received an email from the same friend to say that the first update 9.0.1 came through last night - and he had fun and games downloading it. The dreaded i-tunes featured somewhere in the drama. I think we'll continue our wait.
 IOS 9 - Bobby
Another update out today......

Now has a (possibly) handy News App thingy
 Apple pulls iOS 9.3 update for older iOS devices - VxFan
Apple has temporarily stopped offering the iOS 9.3 update for older devices like the iPad Air and earlier and the iPhone 5s and earlier due to installation issues some users have experienced. On older devices, iOS 9.3 requires users to input the Apple ID and password originally used to set up the device, which can lead to the device becoming stuck at the Activation Lock screen if the original account information can't be recalled.

www.macrumors.com/2016/03/24/apple-pulls-ios-9-3-older-devices/
www.theregister.co.uk/2016/03/24/ipad_reader_stories/
www.forbes.com/sites/amitchowdhry/2016/03/24/apple-ios-9-3-is-causing-serious-ipad-problems/#3854d57d7c79
 Apple pulls iOS 9.3 update for older iOS devices - Duncan
>> Apple has temporarily stopped offering the iOS 9.3 update for older devices like the iPad
>> Air and earlier and the iPhone 5s and earlier due to installation issues some users
>> have experienced.

I updated my iphone 5 yesterday. it wanted paswords and stuff, but otherwise, no problem.
 Apple pulls iOS 9.3 update for older iOS devices - VxFan
>> but otherwise, no problem

Like the reports say, not everyone is affected.
 Apple pulls iOS 9.3 update for older iOS devices - smokie
Fix is issued

www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35898788
 Apple pulls iOS 9.3 update for older iOS devices - Haywain
"Fix is issued"

I installed 9.3 on my iPad yesterday and, to be honest, I haven't noticed any difference.
Latest Forum Posts