Computer Related > Do I Need Silverlight? Computing Issues
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 7

Do I Need Silverlight? - Duncan
I have just downloaded a raft of Microsoft Updates. One of the optional updates was for Microsoft Silverlight. I declined it.

Was that wise? Do I need Silverlight?
 Do I Need Silverlight? - Bromptonaut
It's used for Parliament's TV site covering both debates in the chamber and proceedings in Committees. Presumably other streaming video services too.

The Parliament site offers an alternative using Windows Media Player.
 Do I Need Silverlight? - commerdriver
>> It's used for Parliament's TV site

Sorry, does that mean I need it or not? :-)
 Do I Need Silverlight? - No FM2R
You don't particularly need it, although some web sites use it.

I;m not sure of any advantage in *not* having it though. Virtually no disk space used and rarely uses any significant amount of system resources.
 Do I Need Silverlight? - rtj70
Silverlight is Microsoft's equivalent of Flash. Or was. They stopped development of it ages ago. But the likes of Sky Go uses Silverlight. I have a feeling Netflix does too.
 Do I Need Silverlight? - Zero
If you have it, then you need to update it. It say it wants to download updates so you have it therefore you need to update it.

Do you need it it or not? well the reason you have it is because something needed to download it, so I would guess you have a need for it.

It will be superseded eventually by new net standards, as will Flash. till then? just go with the flow.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 15 Oct 14 at 11:30
 Do I Need Silverlight? - Robin O'Reliant
I had to install it when I took out a Eurosport sub.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Wed 15 Oct 14 at 11:46
 Do I Need Silverlight? - Crankcase
With various blockers on, I get warned when stuff is trying to run. I signed onto ebay this morning and bizarrely it wanted to run silverlight. Why would the ebay sign on page want silverlight, I wonder.

So I said push off, you shall not pass, and it signed on anyway.

Latest Forum Posts