Computer Related > Chromebook Computing Issues
Thread Author: Skip Replies: 14

Chromebook - Skip
Does anyone own or used a Google Chromebook and if so what is your opinion of them ? I am thinking of getting one to replace the 6 year old Acer Netbook I currently use to surf the internet which is spending more and more time freezing now.
Last edited by: Skip on Sun 19 Oct 14 at 08:26
 Chromebook - Zero
>> Does anyone own or used a Google Chromebook and if so what is your opinion
>> of them ? I am thinking of getting one to replace the 6 year old
>> Acer Netbook I currently use to surf the internet which is spending more and more
>> time freezing now.

If your use is mainly surfing the web and posting little, then a Tablet is the best medium. If you need to do anything else then a laptop is your best bet.

The chrome book falls between those two stalls, which is why its never caught on.
 Chromebook - VxFan
>> I am thinking of getting one to replace the 6 year old Acer Netbook which is spending more and more time freezing now.

Overheating issue? Has the dust ever been cleared out? Does the cooling fan still work?
 Chromebook - No FM2R
Don't you hate that? You finally get an excuse, a believable excuse at that, to buy a new toy and some interfering git comes along and tells you how to fix the old one.
 Chromebook - Skip
>> Don't you hate that? You finally get an excuse, a believable excuse at that, to
>> buy a new toy and some interfering git comes along and tells you how to
>> fix the old one.
>>

True Mark, but at 6 years old it will probably be uneconomical to repair :-)
 Chromebook - VxFan
>> some interfering git comes along and tells you how to fix the old one.

I'm a firm believer in trying to repair something before resorting to chucking it out. That, and also being tight as a ducks wotsit ;)
 Chromebook - Skip

>> Overheating issue? Has the dust ever been cleared out? Does the cooling fan still work?
>>

Ahh, now you say that Dave I haven't hear the fan running lately !
 Chromebook - rtj70
And if it uses an Intel processor, if it overheats it will throttle the CPU frequency right back to prevent damage. And therefore slow right down. This would appear as 'freezing' in extreme circumstances.

I had a work laptop that had the fan go wrong - it ran all the time. The fan was swapped from another non-working laptop. If yours needs a new fan it might be easy to get hold of but then the fan/heatsink might just need cleaning out.
 Chromebook - Skip
I decided to send the notebook to have it checked out and the below is the report. I received. He had previously confirmed that the fan was working ok.

"Finished going over your notebook, the problem you are facing with regarding to the system 'hanging' and becoming unresponsive is a result of 2 issues, firstly I have discovered a series of corrupted Windows DLL files, these files are typically loaded at startup, when they become corrupted, you will as a result witness erratic behavior (such as you have been facing)  Secondly, the notebook is only running 1GB of ram, despite the fact that it is only running Windows 7 starter, the demands placed on the system are a lot heavier now then they were 5-6 years ago when you purchased it.

I would suggest replacing the ram with a 2GB module, this would make a huge difference to system performance, along with a system clean up, this would certainly give your notebook a new lease of life.

I could repair the system corruption as well as replace and fit a new memory module for £50.  This would include a service to ensure that your operating system is running correctly and that there are no viruses/malware instances in place."
 Chromebook - Zero
50 quid? inc a memory upgrade? sounds good value to me.
 Chromebook - Skip
>> 50 quid? inc a memory upgrade? sounds good value to me.
>>

yes it sounded reasonable to me too. Can you explain to me in simple terms what the corrupted Windows files are that he mentions?
 Chromebook - Zero
A DLL (dynamic linc library) is essentially bits of operating code that can be shared by other programs. Sounds to me like he will be doing a windows repair from a windows load disk.

The 2gb memory module (probably a sodimm) alone is 20quid+ to buy

It all sounds like good advice at a good price to me.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 24 Oct 14 at 23:00
 Chromebook - Skip
Thanks Zero
 Chromebook - smokie
I'm sure he'll have already run some diagnostic to check it's a quick job for him, and it does sound good value.

Might be worth just asking him to confirm that your machine will still have your versions of Microsoft product, or if not, that they would be legitimate and activatable just in case he is thinking of re-installing it to correct the issues using a "pre-used" licence code.
 Chromebook - Paul Robinson
I've had a Samsung Chromebook for about two years and I've been very pleased with it. I use it for email and browsing (I'm using it now). The things I like are:

It was cheap! (about £200)

Open it and it's on straight away - like an ipad

You don't need to worry about anti virus - they do that for you

You don't need to worry about updates - they do that for you too.

It's fast!

So if you only use your netbook to surf the internet, then I think you would be happy.
Latest Forum Posts