Computer Related > Samsung Galaxy S3 screen Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 25

Samsung Galaxy S3 screen - Pat
Has anyone changed a screen on one of these?

Every thing still works it's just cracked all over.

Is it easy or is it best to take it in somewhere and have it done properly?

I have been quoted £70 and 1.5 hours wait at Huntingdon, but the issue is finding the time to get there.

I dropped it...what a stupid shape and size that phone is anyway.

Pat
 Samsung Galaxy S3 screen - Zero
www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQO7ZvSa5Lw
 Samsung Galaxy S3 screen - Pat
Yes, that's why I asked:)

Pat
 Samsung Galaxy S3 screen - VxFan
>> I have been quoted £70

Can't vouch for the Samsung, but try shopping around for a cheaper deal. My niece is forever breaking the screen on her iPhone and she used to pay something like £40 or £50 a time to have it replaced, but has since found someone else in Oxford that does it for something like £20.
 Samsung Galaxy S3 screen - No FM2R
Dave makes a good point about shopping around, but you do need to be careful about what parts are used. Non-genuine glass is a lot more delicate as far as I can tell.
Funnily enough I just had to deal with this.

There are three layers; glass, digitizer and LCD. If the glass is broken, its obvious. The next layer down is the digitizer. If it won't accept finger movements, then that's broken. If there is no display showing, even though the phone is on, then the LCD has gone as well.

Replacing one or two of those is difficult and risky, IMO, even though I have done it on other phones.

Replacing all three is more expensive, but easier. You will need steady hands and confidence and a good YouTube video, but its quite doable. Most of the difficult/daunting work is dismantling the phone.

There are both genuine and pattern parts available. Right now, in the UK, the genuine thing retail is £110. Its showing cheaper on eBay, but then you don't know what you're getting, and I wasn't sure enough to chance it.

In the end I paid for it to be done, the potential saving wasn't worth the risk. Obviously the end cost will depend on what you need replacing - from the quote and details you're showing I'd guess your LCD and digitizer is ok, and its just the glass.

Getting the old one off is a pain, heating and glueing the new one on is tricky to get right. .

With the quote you've got, I'd just go for it. I don't think you'll save enough to make it worthwhile doing yourself.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 22 Oct 14 at 10:43
p.s. there's lots of places that do it, perhaps you can find a more convenient one?
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 22 Oct 14 at 10:44
 Samsung Galaxy S3 screen - R.P.
If you get it fixed buy an Otterbox for it. Got one for my iPhone5 from new. Fallen off the back of a moving bike once and dropped statically numerous times. No issues
 Samsung Galaxy ace screen - sooty123
Similar problem in that I'm pretty sure the digitizer has gone. The screen is irractic to my finger movements. It will often 'hold' words back when typing so all the words appears at once. It will add double spaces/letters in as it gets confused on swipes across the screen.

I found a little repair kit on amazon for about £8 delivered.

Does anyone know where I can get a decent digitiser from ?
 Samsung Galaxy ace screen - RattleandSmoke
Avoid the £20 merchants, there is no way run a legitimate business charging that little and when all your data has been sold onto the Mafia you will see why it is so cheap.

£40-£50 is about right when all the overheads and risk of damaging the phone and having to pay for a new one is taken into account!
 Samsung Galaxy ace screen - Pat
Thanks Rats:)

No data on my phone to worry about though, it's a phone, I make phone calls and the occasional 'talking' text message.

I don't do emails, banking or shopping on it, that's what the desktops for, I do take a few pics with it!

Pat
 Samsung Galaxy ace screen - Robin O'Reliant
Maybe a few naughty selfies that could end up going viral?
I don't know how to do it backwards R O'R ;)

Pat
 Samsung Galaxy ace screen - neiltoo
Oooh Matron!
 Samsung Galaxy ace screen - Robin O'Reliant
>> I don't know how to do it backwards R O'R ;)
>>
>> Pat
>>
BBD will be glad to help.
 Samsung Galaxy ace screen - sooty123
All sorted now about 45 min and £15 on the internet works fine now. Not as hard as I thought, just the digitizer from the screen the glue does need heating to unstick.
 Samsung Galaxy ace screen - No FM2R
>>No data on my phone to worry about though, it's a phone, I make phone calls and the
>>occasional 'talking' text message.

Maybe you've sorted this out now, but just in case.....

If all you do is phone/text, you could probably buy a more limited Android phone for less than the S3 is going to cost to repair.

An LG L20 for example, which I choose at random, is about £45 and will do most things that you seem to want.

And going by your original note, you may well find the size and shape more acceptable.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 5 Nov 14 at 22:50
 Samsung Galaxy ace screen - rtj70
You can get some cheap Motorola's unlocked in Tesco and other places for similar prices to this screen repair. And a bit more gets something better than an S3 after repair costs are considered.
I'm hoping to get it done on Sunday if the phone shop in Huntingdon is open, it was a good excuse to meet family and book Sunday Lunch at Brampton to put the waiting time to good use (he wants it for 1.5 hours).

The choice of phone was made because family all have that one and it's easy to ask them how to use it until I got used to it, but I agree, I certainly don't use it to it's full potential.

The size I find difficult to cope with. My hands don't open as wide as they used to and this phone is at full 'span' meaning it's always going to be dropped. I also manage to turn the sound down or alter the text size whenever I pick it up.

It sits on my desk in a charging cradle which I like, and when I'm working I use an earpiece so I can use the phone while it's safely in the cradle.

It's when I go out, or in the garden, I don't tend to bother to put it in the case, as once again, I simply cannot get it out again.

I wanted a reasonable size keyboard but have found that with the talking text I don't need that so yes, a different phone may be the way to go.

Pat
 Samsung Galaxy ace screen - Duncan
>>
>> The size I find difficult to cope with. My hands don't open as wide as they used to

>> Pat
>>

Where's Bigger Badder Dave when you want him?
>> I'm hoping to get it done on Sunday if the phone shop in Huntingdon is
>> open, it was a good excuse to meet family and book Sunday Lunch at Brampton
>> to put the waiting time to good use (he wants it for 1.5 hours).
>>
>> Pat
>>

Have you tried this place in St Neots, Pat?

Not far away. Excellent food and a wide choice of drinks all at very popular prices (as they say).

tinyurl.com/ntz2oyp
If that's the only choice I'll stick with my cracked phone screen Duncan:)

www.theblackbull-brampton.co.uk/index.htm

Try this one, quirky but excellent menu and home made pies to die for!

Pat
>> If that's the only choice I'll stick with my cracked phone screen Duncan:)
>>

>> Pat
>>

Oh! Sorry, Pat. I didn't realise that you had already been in there.

Tell me, what was it that you didn't like about the Weeping Ash in St. Neots?
It's because the pub and it's owner's name both begin with a W ;)

Pat
 Samsung Galaxy ace screen - Roger.
Sort of like this?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1R7NwPG2jY
>> It's because the pub and it's owner's name both begin with a W ;)
>>
>> Pat
>>

I did see the smiley (no nose?), but the owner's name is Tim Martin and the pub is called the Weeping Ash?
Latest Forum Posts