Computer Related > strange youtube search behaviour Computing Issues
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 5

strange youtube search behaviour - Focusless
'Strange' as in I don't understand it...

There was a band called 'Slaves' playing a track called 'Hey' on Jools Holland's 'Later' TV programme on Tuesday night. If I search for 'slaves hey later' on my phone's youtube app, it comes top of the results. Similarly if I go to youtube.com using the phone's Chrome browser.

But if I search using Chrome/youtube on my laptop, I can't see it in the results at all - top 3 are the official video, the record company's video, and a Latitude Festival live version.

I thought it might be something to do with my company laptop configuration ie. it's an American company and AFAIK some BBC content isn't available abroad. But if I enter the video's youtube url directly into Chrome, it plays fine.

Any ideas?

Video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6oFBFcX8eM
BTW my youtube 'country' setting is UK.
 strange youtube search behaviour - Zero
Using google.co.uk on Safari with search words ~ slaves hey later ~ i get

1/ The youtube vid you linked to

2/ the official youtube vid of the song

3/ inthejunkyardmusic.co.uk/2014/10/22/watch-slaves-perform-hey-on-later-with-jools-holland/

If I use Google.co.uk on chrome I get the same three top hits in the same order.

Are you using google.com or .co.uk? are you through a gateway in the states?

Mind you I wished I hadn't found those hits, Its a ruddy awful song.

>> Using google.co.uk on Safari with search words ~ slaves hey later ~ i get

It's the youtube search I don't understand.
 strange youtube search behaviour - Zero
And I completely didn't read your post and searched google instead of youtube.

Youtube is not a search engine, it tailors and delivers content based on your previous history and your location.

Delete youtube cookies on your laptop, use a proxy and you will get identical results to your phone
>> Delete youtube cookies

Yeah, that was it - deleted all cookies in Chrome (laptop) and video came top of the search results. Ta.
Latest Forum Posts