Computer Related > OS Yosemite? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Haywain Replies: 22

OS Yosemite? - Haywain
Since buying the i-Mac 3 years ago, I've stuck with OS Lion, not bothering with Mountain Lion and Mavericks - but now I see that Yosemite has been released and I'm wondering if it's about time I updated.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of OS Yosemite, and if it is to be recommended? Cheers.
 OS Yosemite? - rtj70
I run Mavericks on two Macs and one PC and please with it. I am glad I upgraded them.

Yosemite offers some advantages, and a lot of those are aimed at iPhone users I'd say. They've flattened the UI along the lines of the iOS updates in the last 12 months.

Would I upgrade? The others shorting my iMac might not like it. And having 10.9 on the iMac and 10.10 on the Macbook might annoy me.

I've got it running on a test system.... and I've not used it enough (at all TBH)! :-)
 OS Yosemite? - Zero
I'm on Mavericks on my Macbook Air. And there I will stay till there have been a few updates to Yosimite. Been caught out too many times by upgrading early on Apple products. Major software upgrades from Apple are nearly always P Poor.
 OS Yosemite? - car4play
We have gradually taken the plunge and moved most our Macs over to Yosemite. You can't really avoid it too much if you are used to loading the App Store app as it constantly reminds you how great it is.
The update has gone very smoothly on all machines so far bar our oldest iMac when it stalled and had to be restarted halfway through the update. Mail crashes quite frequently on it now and it will probably need some more tender care to get it back to full working order.
A few apps also have complained about not having legacy Java runtime, but downloading that sorts that out.
I quite like the iphonesque look and prefer it. Folders are a rather bright blue now though. iTunes gets a bright red icon too.
Overall it has performed well although nothing earth shatteringly new that I would say I had to update it for. Maybe the better messages integration with iPhone? Apart from that everything just feels a bit more polished.
 OS Yosemite? - rtj70
>> iTunes gets a bright red icon too.

The latest iTunes has the same red icon on my Maverick running Macs. The latest iTunes is now version 12 and it's not solely on Yosemite.

They've once again changed the look and feel and how you select music, pod casts, etc.
 OS Yosemite? - Zero

>> They've once again changed the look and feel and how you select music, pod casts,
>> etc.

And probably still not made it simple or intuitive.
 OS Yosemite? - rtj70
Nope.
 OS Yosemite? - Haywain
"The latest iTunes has the same red icon on my Maverick running Macs."

Ditto here - and, as mentioned earlier, I'm still running 'Lion'. AND I never have got my head round i-tunes at all! I use it - but in the same way that I might use a wheel-barrow to eat my dinner off.
 OS Yosemite? - Haywain
Just moving this one along…….

A pop-up has just popped-up on my Mac - again, suggesting that I move to Yosemite. I just wonder, has anyone else on here has made the move and did it go smoothly? Any one with any regrets? How about you, Z, as we've moved forward a couple of weeks? Have there been any updates yet?

Cheers H
 OS Yosemite? - R.P.
I upgraded junior (13" Mac Book Pro) the other night. No problems. It looks good it's smooth - and the "useful" linking of my iPhone to the macbook works well. (one example is click on a phone number within Safari and it'll call the number from your phone). Not updated my older MacBook yet....somehow reluctant as it works well at on it;s older OS.
 OS Yosemite? - rtj70
There's been one update so far (10.10.1). I've not upgraded any of my Macs yet.
 OS Yosemite? - Zero

>> How about you, Z, as we've moved
>> forward a couple of weeks?

Couple of weeks is not enough in my (mac)book
 OS Yosemite? - Haywain
Thanks for the comments and perhaps I can prevail upon Z to post on here when/if he feels the time is right to move. I should add that I am not at all unhappy with the old OS Lion.

I have read a few posts where folks have not been happy with the way Yosemite operates with Time-Machine. I keep an Intenso 1Tb expansion drive plugged into the Mac for Time-Machine - though I am, I confess, rather ignorant of what it's doing ……. but I am informed that 'it's a good thing to do'. I understand that it is some sort of 'back-up' but, just to make sure, I always back up my data and photos separately to another external drive.
 OS Yosemite? - rtj70
>> I should add that I am not at all unhappy with the old OS Lion.

So you're quite a few version behind if you're still on OS X Lion (Lion was 10.7). Then came Mountain Lion 10.8. Mavericks was 10.9 (free download like Yosemite is now) and now we have OS X 10.10.

So if you didn't upgrade to Mountain Lion or Mavericks.... why are you thinking of upgrading straight to Yosemite (i.e. 10.7.x to 10.10.1)?
 OS Yosemite? - Zero
10.9 - Mavericks, was a waste of time - backwards step in fact, a paragon of unreliability when it arrived.
 OS Yosemite? - Haywain
"So if you didn't upgrade to Mountain Lion or Mavericks.... why are you thinking of upgrading straight to Yosemite (i.e. 10.7.x to 10.10.1)?".

I guess it's because I'm a late adopter; I'm the sort of chap who will drive an old banger until it falls to pieces rather than risk something 'new'; yes - it's a fear of the new. Windows XP worked fine on my old pc and I carried on defiantly whilst those around me cursed Vista, bought new machines, and developed ulcers.

But, now I'm just wondering if I'm missing out on something good ……. it's as simple as that. And, if I've decided to move forward, there's no point in going one step if everyone else has taken 4 steps.
 OS Yosemite? - rtj70
Following on my thought process on wanting to go straight from OS X 10.7 to 10.10.... is the Mac fast enough? How much memory etc.

You might find it slower because it's not remotely current. Although Lion was 2011 and I bought my iMac in 2009 and it runs Mavericks fine (8GB RAM).

A bit like having a low spec Windows XP laptop in 2011 and wanting Windows 10 on it now.*

* I've still to install Windows 10... I've downloaded the preview. And it's been updated since as well.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 5 Nov 14 at 23:56
 OS Yosemite? - Haywain
I guess that 'suitability' is part of my original question.

My Mac is a 27", mid-2011 model with a 2.7GHz Core i5 processor and 20GB memory (I added another 16GB to the original 4) The OS is defined as Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)

It seems to run reasonably fast - well, I haven't got anything to compare it to, though believe that any speed frustrations are largely due to the 3Mb broadband speed.
 OS Yosemite? - rtj70
Downloading the OS over the 3Mbps broadband is going to take a while then :-) It's over 5GB. I suppose one of us could send you the file instead on a disk.

Machine spec wise... that looks more than fast enough. It's the RAM more than anything that could be an issue (it uses more than Mavericks apparently) but you've got plenty.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 6 Nov 14 at 09:35
 OS Yosemite? - car4play
Having used it for a while now there are a few new things it does do that I like:

- the hands off feature where a call or text message comes in on your iPhone and you can answer or reply to it on your Mac.

- you can now screen share using iMessage. Previously you needed an AOL account to do this, but now it works using your Apple ID. This has been invaluable already in fixing people's macs where it is much easier to see their screen, or in demoing our software to a remote person when I want them to see my screen

- the autofill of passwords for sites seems to work better as it can hold multiple logins for the same site. It gives you a list of possible logins within Safari which makes life really easy.

Problems encountered
One of our Macs through a hissy fit installing and then subsequently mail crashed very frequently. We ended up reinstalling Yosemite from a download which fixed the issue. Apart from that it has been problem free.
 OS Yosemite? - rtj70
If I had an iPhone or iPad then I might try it - but I'm not sure what I'd really gain.

I will probably update at some point.

One tip if anyone has two Macs or more that you want to upgrade. When you download the install from the App Store it will be as an application (container) in Applications. When you run this it will remove it when finished. So before actually running it, take a copy of the Application container to use on the other Mac.

However, the version on there will be 10.10.1 at the moment. It will no doubt be patched to 10.10.2 at some point so this is going to get out of data unless you download it again or install and then grab patches. But at over 5GB you might not want to download it to each Mac.
 OS Yosemite? - R.P.
My little MacBook (Yosemite) backed up to the Time Machine exactly as it should the other night.
 OS Yosemite? - rtj70
Depending on capacity of the Time Machine disk, might make it interesting to do a restore to a previous date.

I've got Yosemite in a VM and I'm not sure I like the UI. If you like the last two iterations of iOS it will appeal.... I'm not so sure.
Latest Forum Posts