Computer Related > Home plug network extender Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 9

Home plug network extender - bathtub tom
My Humax PVR has expired (after only three and a half years damnit) and I'm thinking of replacing it with a Sagemcom RT195.

First of all any comments on the Sagamcom and what's a 'home plug network extender'. I'll apparently need one if I want to get Iplayer. My router's upstairs, the telly's down.
 Home plug network extender - Focusless
Do you need HD? FWIW we bought a reconditioned Bush off ebay like this one over 18 months ago and it's been fine:
r.ebay.com/D0wzo9 (it's about the size of a thick paperback book)

Then for iPlayer, and players for the other channels as well as apps such as youtube, we've got a £10 NowTV box (connects via wifi).

EDIT: sorry, I can see the Sagem is HD so presumably you are looking for HD boxes
Last edited by: Focusless on Sun 2 Nov 14 at 22:31
 Home plug network extender - Focusless
BTW the NowTV is 720p, which looks fine on our 37". Actually it's no great hardship watching the SD Bush either.
>>Whats wrong with it? fixable?

It would seem the hard disc drive's given up. I can source another for around forty quid, but I'm not 100% certain it is the HDD and as it's three and a half years old, is it worth fixing?

Thanks for the explanation, I can see that makes sense.

I thought I'd go for an HD PVR as I'll no doubt change my CRT telly for something more modern one day (I'm fighting a rearguard action against SWMBO who wants a new one, but I like the sound of the old one). I don't really want a 'second' product and I'm a bit off Humax as this last one's failed prematurely.
 Home plug network extender - rtj70
I found this review of the box online:

"It's OK if it would work!
This box was purchased for my elderly mum. It is relatively easy to use, with the remote having nice, big clear buttons. But the reliability of the box severely lets it down. After 2 weeks, the Hard Drive failed. We exchanged the unit for another one. This one lasted 7 weeks before simply not recording at all, despite shows appearing in the 'schedule'. Exchanged again, we're now on our 3rd one. If this goes faulty, we're upgrading to a different brand! By the way, the retailer (a large chain) did not seem surprised by our 2nd exchange - they know it not to be very reliable!)"
 Home plug network extender - Stuartli
>> BTW the NowTV is 720p, which looks fine on our 37". Actually it's no great hardship watching the SD Bush either.>>

I have a Now TV box which I use with a 42in Panasonic Full HD plasma - display quality is more than acceptable via two TPLink Home Plugs costing just £15 and a few pence for the pair.
 Home plug network extender - tyrednemotional
An alternative to using Home Network plugs for "wireless" networking of devices such as this that only have an ethernet port is to purchase a wireless access point that also works in "AP Client Mode".

Normally designed to be connected by ethernet to your main router, and provide a separate additional wireless access point remote from it, configuring in AP Client Mode effectively reverses the concept, and you can connect a device via ethernet, and it will talk wirelessly to your router (rather like the concept of a USB network adapter, but connected to your device via ethernet).

I've successfully networked both smart TVs and Set Top Boxes that have only ethernet connections in this manner (and across storeys and distances).

Currently around £16 + p&p, so somewhat cheaper generally than the "plug" method.

Home plug network extender - Ambo

Try emailing uksupport@humaxonline.co.uk and asking for help.

My Humax Foxsat PVR has gone nearly 5 years without technical problems. I found this service helpful for an operational problem (how to do a factory reset without losing stored items).

However I have found that, generally, with computers, hi-fi and cameras, repairs are not economic.

(I opted for Freesat as there was no HD on Freeview at the time.)

>>Try emailing uksupport@humaxonline.co.uk and asking for help.

Been there, done that. About as much use as a chocolate teapot. Gave me duff info a couple of times, before THEY gave up. Much more informed help at hummy.tv
 Home plug network extender - Ambo
Thanks for a useful lead.
Latest Forum Posts