Computer Related > Book reader / Android Miscellaneous
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 6

Book reader / Android - No FM2R

I read a lot on my phone - outside school, outside fencing lessons, outside cheerleading classes etc. etc. etc.

I use Amazon Kindle. I'm quite happy with the functionality. I keep my library on the PC in Calibre. I use the "EMail to Kindle" option, or whatever its called to push books to the phone.

However, the App isn't great. It crashes quite a lot and it can be quite slow. Its on a Galaxy S5 if that makes a difference.

Can anybody recommend another App?
 Book reader / Android - Roger.
Cool Reader from Google play store
 Book reader / Android - rtj70
If you're keeping books in Calibre then they're clearly not Kindle books. Plenty of ebook readers to try. What format are your books? I assume ePub?? And are they protected by DRM?

On the Android tablet and phone version of Kindle - I've used it since 2009 and it's been reliable. Maybe it doesn't like the books you're making it access? And another reader is the best bet. There are dozens. I used to use more ePub books on my phone but switched to Kindle books (used to have a Sony eReader from late 2010) so haven't used one much since.

The one I have on the phone for technical type books is Mantano Reader. Can't remember why I picked that.
Some are Kindle books, the majority are not.

Some with DRM, not enough to worry about.

.mobi, .epub & .lit and a fair amount of .doc & .pdf, most books in more than one format. Add together libraries belong to me, the two children and my wife and its about 3,000 books.

Library management in Kindle App and Amazon website is pants, hence Calibre.

The typical App crash is on startup or during synch, not when actually reading a book.

I know there are dozens, which is why I was hoping for hints. I do hate changing something like this, so I'd like to try as few as possible.

Will try Cool Reader, thanks.
 Book reader / Android - Focusless
You could try giving the Samsung-specific version of the Kindle reader a go:
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/digital/kfs-landing-page

Free eBook every month "and the ultimate e-reading experience" so it must be good :)

I tend to use Kindle on my own little HTC rather than the work Samsung, and it can be a bit temperamental on there. In fact I re-installed it a month or 2 ago, and that did seem to improve things a bit.

EDIT: I only read (free) books from the Kindle store
Last edited by: Focusless on Fri 7 Nov 14 at 19:17
 Book reader / Android - Focusless
>> EDIT: I only read (free) books from the Kindle store

...as notified by this app mostly:
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.app.digitalbook&hl=en_GB
I didn't know there was a Samsung Kindle App. Thanks for that, I'll give it a go.
Latest Forum Posts