Computer Related > HUDL 2 Computing Issues
Thread Author: MD Replies: 42

HUDL 2 - MD
Does anybody own one?

I am looking for a tool to show potential customers photographs of a reasonable size without the need to lug a Laptop around. Use spotify and control music to a bluetooth speaker/s. Do ebay stuff and C4P etc. I presume that it will do all this.

It appears that it takes a micro sd card and my cameras take full sized sd cards, so how does one deal with the transfer in this instance?

Can photos from iphone 4 be transferred to Hudl2?

Thanks in advance MD.
 HUDL 2 - Robin O'Reliant
Would one of these be any good?

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CCDS7VM/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0019AJJRK&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=16NRCHW6WKZG5VT4RAH8
 HUDL 2 - MD
Thank you RR. Seems ideal.
 HUDL 2 - Zero
>> Does anybody own one?
>

Not yet, buying one within the next 48 hours or so

>> I am looking for a tool to show potential customers photographs of a reasonable size
>> without the need to lug a Laptop around. Use spotify and control music to a
>> bluetooth speaker/s. Do ebay stuff and C4P etc. I presume that it will do all
>> this.

Yes admirably

>> It appears that it takes a micro sd card and my cameras take full sized
>> sd cards, so how does one deal with the transfer in this instance?

you can do it in a number of ways. When you buy a micro sd card it comes with a full size adaptor. You can put the adaptor with its micro card into your camera.

>> Can photos from iphone 4 be transferred to Hudl2?

via an intermediate pc / laptop - or - cloud service
 HUDL 2 - MD
Thanks Zeddo. I have to say this place would be much less without your input.

Regards....MD
 HUDL 2 - sherlock47
Does anybody own one?

Yes - & happy so far*. I had a Hudl1 which was traded back at full price after 11 months use just before the launch of HUDL2.

Actually I have 2 x HUDL2 one of which went into the wifes handbag intact, and came out several hours later with a a cracked screen.

I went straight out and bought a replacement. There appears to be no internet history of screen breakage problems and I now have a Store Manager verbal that Customer Service may consider the broken screen for a (partial?) refund.

If you are going to use on site the kids rubber protector may be a wise investment?

There are 1 or 2 issues on charging and timekeeping that are supposed to be resolved by the software update due in January? Difficult to replicate but apparently well known on the web, Zero may fill in some detail.
 HUDL 2 - Zero

>> There are 1 or 2 issues on charging and timekeeping that are supposed to be
>> resolved by the software update due in January? Difficult to replicate but apparently well known
>> on the web, Zero may fill in some detail.

There is some variable issue that some Hudl2's wont accept a charge unless its powered down and rebooted. Its not a terminal issue as it can be worked around by powering off for a recharge.

Its a bit unusual in that its based on an Intel chip, so has to go into an emulator mode for some Android apps which is a bit of a power eater, but most people get 10 hours which would be fine by me for a pad. Not much worse than an iPhone.
 HUDL 2 - No FM2R
>>but most people get 10 hours which would be fine by me for a pad. most people get 10 hours which would be fine by me for a pad.

Pretty good, actually. But it will still catch you out. Make sure you have a car charger (plugs into cigarette lighter). On which note, there are good and bad (or low power and high power) chargers. Make sure you get an appropriate one.

Whatever tablet you get, you would also be well advised to keep it synch'd or backed up in case something happens to it - they do live in a vulnerable environment. For this a combination of a general cloud and dropbox works well for me.
 HUDL 2 - rtj70
>> Its a bit unusual in that its based on an Intel chip, so has to go into an emulator mode for
>> some Android apps which is a bit of a power eater,

Most Android development is Java based. The "executables" are Java as in compiled to Java Byte Code. For Android 4.x and before this is then stored and processed as Dalvek executables - so run time compilation. For Android 5.x it is ART (Android Run Time) and the cross compilation from Java to native ARM/MIPS/x86/x64 is done before execution. Which will mean better performance and battery life.

Some Android applications are native code. So if ARM based it will never work on an Intel processor. Android App Store filters this.

There is no emulation and Zero is confused. Android apps are either Java (so will work across all processors) or have embedded native code for a processor.
 HUDL 2 - Zero
>> Zero is confused.

I suggest you spend less time trying to appear to be clever and scoring points and spend some of that time investigating "arm binary translation mode"
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 29 Dec 14 at 10:25
 HUDL 2 - Roger.
I have a hudl2.
Works OK but a bit miffed that I cannot easily write to the expansion card I have.
The initial problem I had with low volume when using headphones has been resolved by a factory reset, which incorporated a software update.
I have the screen set to fully bright, so usage time is no more than 3 to 4 hours or so, when running video or reading ebooks.
Last edited by: Roger. on Thu 1 Jan 15 at 20:09
 HUDL 2 - Zero
>> I have a hudl2.

Had mine for 48 hours now. Its a fantastically built and specified bit of kit for the price. The only drawback caused by the low price is the weight, its a little heavy.

Trimmed the tesco fat down as much as possible, then disabled it so it looks more or less like stock Android. Have loaded up all the apps i think I need and I have 8gb left. The Android KitKat feature (not just a hudl thing) blocking writing to the SD card is not an issue for me as I write stuff to it using the pc.

Really not sure why you need the screen fully bright, its very sharp and clear and when turned right up its bright enough to burn your retinas out. I get 8 hours using an ebook reader.

I don't expect to see any update to 4.4.4 or 5.0 lollipop pushed from tesco for this device.

Edit, I have a widget on the home screen to turn wireless on and off - save batter power.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 1 Jan 15 at 21:36
 HUDL 2 ITV player problem - sherlock47
The only problems I have experienced are using ITV Player.

It sometimes crashes - but only at the transition between adverts and resuming the program. Restarting the player means watching the adverts all over again to get to the resume point. It does not remember the the resume point.

Happened on Broadchurch 5 times!

Z any ideas#?
 HUDL 2 ITV player problem - Focusless
Hudl1 mentioned on their Android page, but not Hudl2. Worth contacting the support team if Z can't fix it?
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.ITVMobilePlayer&hl=en_GB
 HUDL 2 ITV player problem - Focusless
>> Worth contacting the support team if Z can't fix it?
>> play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.ITVMobilePlayer&hl=en_GB

Have you tried it? If they don't know it's broke, they ain't going to fix it.
 HUDL 2 ITV player problem - Zero
I did, and sent off the diag report.
Not got the ITV player. I'll download and try it.
Yup, it sure does. Stopped in the middle of Add breaK 2.

Seems to be a recurring problem with ITV player on lots of pads. I note it doesn't have official hudl 2 support. Her indoors hasn't moaned about it tho, she has a Nexus 7 on 4.2.2
 HUDL 2 ITV player problem - sherlock47
Thanks for trying it. Had to resort to PC to watch the 2nd half! Pity because 32" definitely better than 19".
 HUDL 2 ITV player problem - Roger.
Talking of tablets - my Halifax mobile banking app, previously fine, no longer works (incompatible, it declares) on my hudl2.
I queried this with Halifax who confirmed, today, that the latest app update ONLY allows it to work on mobile phones.
"It's a MOBILE banking app" said the lady on the phone,
"Yes", said I, "but my hudl IS mobile - I take it with me on trips!
Silence.
On-line banking may still be accessed via the tablet's web browser.
Last edited by: Roger. on Tue 13 Jan 15 at 15:37
 HUDL 2 ITV player problem - Stuartli
>>Seems to be a recurring problem with ITV player on lots of pads>>

I recall that quite a few people had trouble using the ITV Player on various devices a while back. Some found the solution was to use the Scottish ITV Player equivalent.
 HUDL 2 ITV player problem - WillDeBeest
...while others took it as a sign from the taste gods and mended their ways.
 HUDL 2 - Zero
Hudl 2 update now available, supposedly fixes some of the charging problems, but more importantly has created more use of the sd card, some apps can now be moved there.
 HUDL 2 - Roger.
Update done - thanks for the head up :-)
 HUDL 2 - Roger.

>> has created more use of the sd card, some apps can now be moved there.
How? I cannot see it :-(
 HUDL 2 - Zero
Settings, Apps, choose your app and it now has a button "move to sd card"

if the app can be moved the button will be active, if it can't it will be greyed out.

Most apps you download from the playstore can be moved, most apps that come with the base android can't.
 HUDL 2 - MD
I pad mini :-0)
 HUDL 2 - Zero
>> I pad mini :-0)

no sd card slot.
 HUDL 2 - Roger.

>> Most apps you download from the playstore can be moved, most apps that come with
>> the base android can't.
>>
Ta - I've moved the moveable, but what would be nice is a way to select a download location and also to simply be able to move actual content to the SD card - and directly delete from it, too.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 23 Jan 15 at 13:53
 HUDL 2 - rtj70
You can delete content on the SD card by using a File Manager app.
 HUDL 2 - Roger.
Not with my file manager app, I can't
 HUDL 2 - Zero
>> Not with my file manager app, I can't
>>

you can with mine. I use SD maid, its a good tool for keeping your android tidy
 HUDL 2 - Roger.
Got it - thanks again.
 HUDL 2 moving apps to SD card - sherlock47
Have you sucessfully moved BBC Iplayer?

Going through the tools menu,- apps, -BBCiplayer it shows that the app (and data) have been moved. However they have not moved to my external SD card (SD1) which is still showing most of its 16G free!

The app (and content) seemed to have only moved to the internal SD0 emulation which is part of the built in memory. Hence not freeing up the internal memory.

Is there another setting that should be used?
 HUDL 2 moving apps to SD card - Zero

>> Is there another setting that should be used?

Something is working, when I move Iplayer the free space on my sd card goes from 2.56gb to 2.51gb.

I would guess they way they make it work is to emulate it, hence the file manager not reporting it correctly.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 29 Jan 15 at 21:25
 HUDL 2 moving apps to SD card - sherlock47
>>Something is working, when I move Iplayer the free space on my sd card goes from 2.56gb to 2.51gb<<

Z
Thanks for trying that, but could you pse try to download a a program file - 'exploring' my sd1 card shows a folder/file hierarchy of
Android folder - BBC iplayer folder - BBCiplayer app file (sloppy naming ! Hudl not in front of me).

However the large media files seem to be in SD0 ie internal.

p

HUDL 2 No More - Bromptonaut
My Hudl 1 has developed a fault, the headphone socket has failed. A significant issue as I use it quite a bit for catch up radio.

Hudl 2 seemed obvious replacement but it's been discontinued. Rumours of Hudl 3 are premature or even ill founded.

Looks like it wasn't profitable enough.
 HUDL 2 No More - sherlock47
Following the recent financial Tesco problems they announced that they were withdrawing from the Tablet market (ie own brand) and not proceeding with the plans for a 'Tesco' smart phone. They need to cncentrate on their core business? One vanity project too far? Along with their aspirations of becoming a an aircraft fleet operator? I guess that having shaken up the market and pricing there was just not enough money left. Other cheap tablets but without 'Brand' support and reduced price branded products have attacked them in both directions.

However, when I was last in the local store they seemed to have them in stock at 99 pounds.

www.theguardian.com/business/2015/apr/15/tesco-selling-last-corporate-private-jet

www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2382075/tescos-hudl-2-tablet-doesnt-recognise-its-own-charger

HUDL 2 No More - sherlock47
Just a thought, why dont you use the Bluetooth facility - it means that you can listen in bed without strangling yourself:)
 HUDL 2 No More - WillDeBeest
Beestling Minor's Hudl 2 just died after five months - refuses to even take a charge or light the red LED that shows it's connected to a charger. Seems to be a well known problem, so we're awaiting a replacement.

We've had half a dozen Android devices here and they've mostly had problems, including more than this one that have simply stopped working. My five iOS devices over seven years, on the other hand, have been faultless - if occasionally, as with my iPhone 4S, hamstrung by a software upgrade too far. But batteries, screens, all the usual trouble spots - just fine thank you. Maybe I've been brainwashed.
 HUDL 2 No More - rtj70
Seems you're comparing Apple's with 'oranges'. Of the problematic Android devices, were any of these premium? It's a little unfair to compare a Hudl2 which probably cost £40 to make compared to an Apple product that cost several times that - but hugely profitable for Apple all the same.
 HUDL 2 No More - hjd
Tesco selling off remaining HUDL2 stock online for £99 this weekend - don't know if instore too.
 HUDL 2 No More - Zero
most of the store stocks have gone, the word went out a while ago this was at the end of its run. Most of the accessories have gone.
Latest Forum Posts