Computer Related > Black ink problem with my printer Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 20

Black ink problem with my printer - MD
Canon ip4700 has been fine up until today. I have set the machine for a deep clean of the nozzles and a print roller clean and a roller re-align. I have changed both Black cartridges, but to no avail. All colours are fine!!

One thing that seems bizarre is I tried to print out an electronic invoice from a company called Names.co.uk. Perfectly happy to do business with them so they're ok. It will print the line "Electronic invoice" etc., but it won't print the invoice body? Prior to this it would only print very patchily. I am now a little lost. Any thoughts?

edited in accordance with the site T's & C's - you know why
Last edited by: Webmaster on Wed 31 Dec 14 at 17:28
 Black ink problem with my printer - No FM2R
>>Any thoughts?

Yes.
Last edited by: Webmaster on Wed 31 Dec 14 at 17:29
We'll done Sir.
 Black ink problem with my printer - Zero
try changing the paper type and print quality in the print settings, check ink is coming out by putting the head/cart on a hanky to draw it through.
I've checked the ink as per your suggestion. I'll try the print quality in the morning, but as I say all colours are fine. Thanks.
 Black ink problem with my printer - spamcan61
Do a proper power off/on reboot.
? It's not used often, perhaps once a fortnight, but it's never failed like this before, so it's always turned off. Will that fulfil your suggestion or should I try more?
 Black ink problem with my printer - devonite
You have taken the tape off the cartridge heads ;-) !
Sorted thankfully. I contacted a company called Printerbase who I bought the Canon from in 2009. The young telephonist got hold of a very knowledgeable chap there who said it sounds like a Spooling problem and to seek out and download the latest Drivers and Firmware, but ensuring all existing/old Drivers were removed. This was duly done along with a mass of other dross that the machine had collected and BINGO were are back in business.

I have no connection with Printerbase other than that I have bought 2 machines from them over the years. All credit to them though. 1st class service.
Now it won't print again (from a PC) but it will from a Mac book so the printer is clearly OK. Software issue perhaps or Windows (7). Any ideas folk?
 Black ink problem with my printer - rtj70
The USB cable used for the Macbook is the same as used for Windows 7?? I know you say it won't print but does the driver have connectivity to the printer - e.g. can it see ink levels?
>> The USB cable used for the Macbook is the same as used for Windows 7??

Yes.

>> I know you say it won't print but does the driver have connectivity to the
>> printer - e.g. can it see ink levels?

Yes.

I have just sent the MAC and email from a supplier that came into my PC. The MAC wouldn't print it. My Wife then tried to print something that was in the MAC and that wouldn't print either. I favour the print head playing up so a new machine is likely to be the way to go. Just after I bought a load of ink too.
I'm guessing the printer is similar to mine - I have the IP5000.

You could try making the printer print a test page itself. I imagine the steps are the same for an IP4700. To do this, with the printer turned off:

1. Press and hold the cancel/resume button.
2. Press the power button whilst still holding the cancel/resume button.
3. Release the cancel/resume button.
4. Whilst still holding the power button, press the cancel/resume button twice. The power/error LED light will show orange and then green.
5. Release the power button.
6. Press the cancel/resume button once (LED turns orange)
7. Press the power button.

It should now print the test page.

It would rule out the Mac and/or PC for starters.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 10 Feb 15 at 15:31
Hi RT. I have printed test pages from a menu without going through the rigmarole you have suggested, but to no avail. Would your method be likely to produce a different outcome do you think? Anything is worth a try although I have now ordered a new machine.
My suggestion does not rely on it being connected to a computer. It could be the connection that's wrong and the printer is okay. Or possibly not. If it prints then it might indicate a problem with the USB lead for example.
I'm on the case after dinner Sir.
No go Sir. I've tried twice.
 Black ink problem with my printer - McP
Try sitting the printhead in a shallow saucer of warm water for 5 minutes.
Dry off with kitchen roll or a cloth you don't want to keep.

I used to repair inkjets and have resurrected many printheads this way.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEkKGBUSwNg
Despite my earlier post it is now printing correctly. My earlier post referred to it not printing a test page. However after I tried your method it was reluctant to do anything. I then removed the USB lead at both ends and re-fitted, something I have done several times before and it printed OK. My money is now obviously resting on the printer (USB) lead, but possibly at the machine end. Thank you.
 Black ink problem with my printer - Zero

>> have done several times before and it printed OK. My money is now obviously resting
>> on the printer (USB) lead, but possibly at the machine end. Thank you.

Err no. It will be the driver on the PC. Unplugging the USB cable re-loaded it.
He had tried the cable on the Mac and that didn't work either. Which is why I suggested he try making the printer generate a test page without using a computer.
Latest Forum Posts