Computer Related > Changing BB provider & other problems Computing Issues
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 20

Changing BB provider & other problems - legacylad
So after years with Tiscali, then TalkTalk, I bit the bullet & changed my BB & line rental to Plusnet. I was sick of their so called customer service. Router works fine, both laptop & Ipad recognise it and everything's hunky dory. Except I use my iPad for all my emails, and although I am receiving them ok, I cannot reply, and new emails also go straight to my Outbox. The message is '' unable to send email. A copy has been placed in your Outbox. The sender address **** was rejected by the server''.
TalkTalk inform me that I can still use my old tiscali email address, Plusnet have been no help at all, so any suggestions please. Please bear in mind that I only use my iPad for web surfing, email & photos, and try as I might, am still an ignoramus where this stuff is concerned. Thanks.
 Changing BB provider & other problems - Robin O'Reliant
When I changed from Talk Talk to PlusNet a few months ago I opened Gmail account for email. You can set it up so it automatically imports emails sent to your old TT address.
 Changing BB provider & other problems - legacylad
Thanks R O'R
I shall try to do that on my next day off, early in the morning whilst my hard of learning brain is still fresh! Does that mean that emails will come directly to my iPad, and I can reply to them? In the meantime I have several lengthy email replies fitting in my Outbox. At times like this I would much rather be skiing in Mongolia, far away from technology, although yak milk is a poor substitute fir the pints I am about to enjoy!
 Changing BB provider & other problems - Zero

>> TalkTalk inform me that I can still use my old tiscali email address,

Only to receive, you can't use it to send. You need to change your smtp outgoing mail server on the tiscali mailbox on your iPad. Currently its probably set to smtp.tiscali.co.uk. Needs to be relay.plus.net

www.plus.net/support/email/setup/ios-setup.shtml

You need to migrate to a web mail address and all this agro disappears when you want to move.
 Changing BB provider & other problems - VxFan
>> You need to change your smtp outgoing mail server on the tiscali mailbox on your iPad. Currently its probably set to smtp.tiscali.co.uk

What he said. I had to change the smtp settings when I went from Freeserve to Pipex.
 Changing BB provider & other problems - bathtub tom
Just renewed my broadband (not fibre) at Plusnet for £1.95/month. I'd shopped around and found EE did it at this price. Plusnet matched it when I suggested we haggle.

The very pushy sales at EE (Asian call centre?) wanted me to sign up there and then, stating I didn't need a MAC. They didn't tell me it would cost me thirty quid if I left my old provider without getting one first!
 Changing BB provider & other problems - Focusless
>> stating I didn't need a MAC. They didn't tell me it would cost
>> me thirty quid if I left my old provider without getting one first!

Just switched to Plusnet from Sky - no MAC required. Was told it's usually not needed these days?
Last edited by: Focusless on Fri 23 Jan 15 at 14:37
 Changing BB provider & other problems - Robin O'Reliant
>>>> Just switched to Plusnet from Sky - no MAC required. Was told it's usually not
>> needed these days?
>>

I didn't need one when I moved to Plusnet. I think it's not needed if your provider has their own kit installed at the local exchange.

Or something like that.
It's in Plusnet's conditions:
portal.plus.net/support/customer_service/billing/cessation_charges.shtml
Sorry tom - are you saying you there'll be a £30 cessation charge on my first bill?
 Changing BB provider & other problems - rtj70
If BT Wholesale didn't provide your Sky connection, why would there be a BT cessation charge?
Well for starters I don't know whether BT Wholesale provided my Sky connection. Or are you telling me they didn't? If I understood how this all worked I wouldn't be asking tom to spell it out for me :)
 Changing BB provider & other problems - rtj70
>>Well for starters I don't know whether BT Wholesale provided my Sky connection. Or are you telling me they didn't?

You probably know better than I, contracts and all :-) How would I know?
 Changing BB provider & other problems - Roger.
Our transition from TalkTalk fibre to BT Infinity went reasonably smoothly.

A MAC number was not required and we have been able to retain our phone number.

The router arrived in good time and as we were already on fibre it was a self install.
We lost our internet at about 3.00pm on the Friday, so I disconnected the TalkTalk gear (two items) and connected up the BT Hub5. Our phone stayed on as far as we could tell. More or less patiently we waited for BT to go live. Up to midnight on connection day was the time scale given by BT, but by midnight we were still not connected.

Saturday morning I phoned the BT help line to complain and spoke to a man whose accent I could barely understand (I had to pass the phone to my wife to interpret!).
Apparently the exchange had done their bit, but the Openreach engineers had not. Service was promised by Monday.

We were out on Saturday, but when we arrived home at about 4.00 pm the hub was live :-)

So far, as one would expect, the service is working OK. The single BThub5 unit saves space, but I'm a bit miffed that the DNS servers cannot be changed from BT's own - I've used Open DNS for years- so have had to change this on both of our laptops.
I've not yet changed the SSID or the default passwords, or explored other things like port forwarding. Speed is in line with estimates given pre-switch.

This, as mentioned before, is a 12 month reduced rate deal, so early next year I'll be looking at the market again and will not hesitate to switch if a better deal is available.
>> Sorry tom - are you saying you there'll be a £30 cessation charge on my
>> first bill?

I can't answer that question as I don't know who's your actual broadband network supplier.

I'd be liable for the £30 charge if I left Plusnet without obtaining a MAC (according to their small print): "Cessation charges don't apply if:............. You use a MAC key to switch to another provider".
Right, thanks. Not sure who were behind my Sky connection - probably was BT. But I do know that people from both Plusnet and Sky said I didn't need to ask for a MAC key, so I'd be surprised if there is a charge. FWIW I also kept my number.
Last edited by: Focusless on Sat 24 Jan 15 at 19:34
>> FWIW I also kept my number.

Called 'number portability'.

You can also do it with mobiles when changing networks - I have done for over twenty years!
Yeah, I know it's not uncommon - just mentioned it because I thought it might be relevant to the MAC key issue.

Strange though - when I was with O2 before Sky took over and pondering whether to take the Sky package, I made some enquiries with TalkTalk. They assured me I wouldn't be able to keep my number (although that wasn't the only reason we didn't go with them).
I made some enquiries with TalkTalk. They assured me I
>> wouldn't be able to keep my number (although that wasn't the only reason we didn't
>> go with them).

I wouldn't touch Talk Talk with a barge-pole.
Last edited by: bathtub tom on Sat 24 Jan 15 at 23:09
 Changing BB provider & other problems - swiss tony
>> I wouldn't touch Talk Talk with a barge-pole.
>>

They even admit to being rubbish.

On the radio ad, they state that you will have 12 months trouble free.
Then they add its a 18 month contract... that must equal 6 months worth of grief!
 Changing BB provider & other problems - Roger.
We were with TT since buying our present house nearly 4 years ago.
Apart from a hicccup with their mysteriously cancelling our order for fibre (sorted via their member's forum) we were perfectly happy with the actual service provision.
The reason for leavin was their recent hike in prices.
Latest Forum Posts