Computer Related > Latest update for Windows breaks things! Computing Issues
Thread Author: Slidingpillar Replies: 5

Latest update for Windows breaks things! - Slidingpillar
Only if you running Windows Vista SP2 or Windows Server 2003 SP2 (which I am on my big PC).

Browser fonts go all horrid. Waterfox/Firefox and Chrome are affected for me. Not much said by MS but they do say:
After you install security update 3013455, you may notice some text quality degradation in certain scenarios. The problem only occurs on systems that are running Windows Vista SP2 or Windows Server 2003 SP2. Microsoft is researching this problem and will post more information in this article when the information becomes available.

On page support.microsoft.com/kb/3013455 which should carry the cure when available.

So don't extract your hair, just blame Microsoft.
 Latest update for Windows breaks things! - Stuu
Thanks for posting that, explains alot! I restored my laptop back to three days ago and fonts fine again so fits with that, I knew it was one of the updates but there were 14 in the bundle.
 Latest update for Windows breaks things! - rtj70
Soon there will be no fixes for Windows 2003 for example. If I knew a security flaw and was so inlined, I'd not exploit it until after patches stop. Unless you're on an extended support contract.

Wait a few month and there will be exploits.
 Latest update for Windows breaks things! - Slidingpillar
I've read what the update covers and as I'm not a total idiot, I reckon I'm pretty safe in taking that one out. I will read up today again though to make sure as this was all found out rather late last night and I don't do joined up thinking near bed-time.

added, MS have added Windows Server 2008 SP2 as affected since last night too
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Thu 12 Feb 15 at 09:24
 Latest update for Windows breaks things! - tyrednemotional
...not a good week for Microsoft Updates!!

I had two of my machines suffer from this:

www.infoworld.com/article/2882348/patch-management/visual-studio-patch-rollup-kb-3001652-causes-widespread-freezing-problems.html

Since the update wouldn't cancel, and closing the machine down simply left it trying to apply the patch, the only way out was to hard reset the machine, restart Windows Update and exclude the "rogue" patch. (I subsequently manually downloaded the patch and ran it free-standing).

The particular item was fairly rapidly "pulled" from the Patch Tuesday inventory, and I understand it has been re-issued (hopefully fixed) today.
 Latest update for Windows breaks things! - devonite
Friend just popped in with his Vista machine, hit with this update problem, stuck in a boot loop due to failing to configure (update stage 3 of 3).

I thought I would share this fix that worked for me, (may not for you!)

boot using Vista/recovery disc,
find and select the Command prompt,
change directory to C: (or whatever yours is)
type in cd windows/win/sxs
type in del pending.xml

then close down, reboot and all should be ok.
Latest Forum Posts