Computer Related > Dead Laptop Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 16

Dead Laptop - Robin O'Reliant
Compaq laptop, totally US. The power light does not come on so would I be right in thinking I need a new PSU?
 Dead Laptop - VxFan
Have you got a multimeter to measure the output voltage from the AC/DC adaptor?

Presumably you've checked the fuse in the plug top?
Yes there's power coming though the adaptor. In any case the battery was almost fully charged.
 Dead Laptop - RattleandSmoke
Have you tried it without the battery? If it is totally dead it sounds like a faulty motheboard or a short some where inside it. Depending on your skill level:-

1) Try it without the battery
2) Test or try another AC adaptor, just because there is voltage coming out it doesn't always mean it is working properly, it could cut out the second any load is applied.
3) Strip down the laptop, remove the HD etc

Do the lights flash up for a split second as you plug in the AC adaptor?

I'll try it without the battery later, no lights at all when I push the power button.
I assume there is also no lights at all when the power is plugged in but not switched on?
 Dead Laptop - Zero
batteries can break down internally suddenly - overloading the power supply and shutting it down.

Let us know if it works without the battery in.

Dead Laptop - Kevin
Totally irrelevant to this thread but I've 'mislaid' your email Zero.

Have you seen the remedial verdict. Looks like you've got some extra cash coming your way.
 Dead Laptop - Zero
Yah - I have. There is the appeal to get through yet tho. Did you see the letter about it HR sent to your old colleagues?
 Dead Laptop - Kevin
>Yah - I have. There is the appeal to get through yet tho.

Conf call today with member reps described the verdict as a slam-dunk. Very unlikely an appeal (even if an appeal is allowed) will change anything.

>Did you see the letter about it HR sent to your old colleagues?

Yup, saw the email.
 Dead Laptop - Pezzer
interesting - I am not paying too much attention until leave to appeal is decided. My graprevine suggests that there is a good chance it will be.
>> batteries can break down internally suddenly - overloading the power supply and shutting it down.
>>
>>
>> Let us know if it works without the battery in.
>>
>>
Nice one Z, battery removed and it fired up straight away. You learn something every day!
I think I deserve credit for that too, as I suggested it first :D
>> I think I deserve credit for that too, as I suggested it first :D
>>

After I made my post I did realise that Rattle, but in the excitement of saving a laptop which is ONE WEEK out of warranty I forgot, so many thanks to you too.
 Dead Laptop - Zero
>> >> I think I deserve credit for that too, as I suggested it first :D
>>
>> >>
>>
>> After I made my post I did realise that Rattle, but in the excitement of
>> saving a laptop which is ONE WEEK out of warranty I forgot, so many thanks
>> to you too.

Its a bit like Spurs on Saturday i.e. Don't get too excited, you still have a new battery to buy.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 25 Feb 15 at 07:34
 Dead Laptop - martin aston
Re new battery. It may not need one. For reasons those more skilled than me will understand some faults rectify simply by taking out and replacing battery. Hopefully that's the case here.
>> >> Its a bit like Spurs on Saturday i.e. Don't get too excited, you still have
>> a new battery to buy.
>>

I might not even bother with a battery, I'm quite happy to use it off the mains.

Re Spurs on Saturday, I was following it on the Guardian's live updates and when I read there would be five minutes added time I switched off and made a bet with myself the lead would go. Never mind, one point from safety...
Latest Forum Posts