Computer Related > Gapless playback Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 9

Gapless playback - Crankcase
Knowledge, edge of...

Ok, I've ripped some CDs into Itunes on a PC and made them into mp3 files (took me about two hours to work out how to do that, blimey I'm getting old), and put them on a USB stick, and amazingly, they play in the car.

I tried to make wavs as I thought they would be lossless (?) and I'm not worried about space, but the though the car manual says it supports wavs, it didn't pick them up.

So if I have to have mp3, with which I can live - is there a way of making them gapless at the PC end, as the car doesn't offer me an option to do that and I get these annoying little silences in the middle of the music as the track changes.

Not wedded to iTunes by any means - nasty bloaty thing.

Gapless playback - Zero
>> I tried to make wavs as I thought they would be lossless (?)
not always the case.
>> not worried about space, but the though the car manual says it supports wavs, it
>> didn't pick them up.

Most car stereos only accept .wavs on CD - not USB input.

>> So if I have to have mp3, with which I can live - is there
>> a way of making them gapless at the PC end, as the car doesn't offer
>> me an option to do that and I get these annoying little silences in the
>> middle of the music as the track changes.

The gapless is usually catered for by a function of the player app or device. To make the files themselves gapless you need to edit them with an audio editor trimming the ends really tight even then they wont be completely gapless because you have individual files, the only way to make a gapless stream of music is to edit all the files together into one big one, fading the music together.

You are a strange one, you don't get 45 minutes of live gapless performance, why would you want a recorded one?
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 26 Feb 15 at 13:16
Hmm. I have two cds on there (it's all a bit new to me as my previous cars didn't have this facility) and both of them are entirely gapless (40-50 minutes music with no audible breaks between the tracks) when played on a CD player, even though they have a number of "tracks" labelled on the covers. From memory I have a few more as well, but it's all poncy New Age stuff and that's how it rolls.

Dog would have liked them, even if nobody else but me does.

Thanks for the info on the wav/cd thing - I could try that, but then I might as well just stick the CD in, so a bit pointless. And also thanks for the gapless info - at least I know there isn't some obvious tick box or third party software that "just does it", so I won't waste time hunting.

Gapless playback - Zero
>> Thanks for the info on the wav/cd thing - I could try that, but then
>> I might as well just stick the CD in, so a bit pointless. And also
>> thanks for the gapless info - at least I know there isn't some obvious tick
>> box or third party software that "just does it", so I won't waste time hunting.

Woow hold on there - I didn't say that I said its a function of the player app, there are indeed apps that have that tick box for that function - iTunes is one of them. The point is tho its done by the player, and your car does not have that feature.

There are loads of audio editing apps around that will allow you edit to the type of listening you want.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 26 Feb 15 at 13:44
Ta. Like anything with Pcs you have to weigh up the likely time spent getting it to work against "things you'd rather be doing", like breathing. I'll look about for some sort of audio editing thing (I assume I want to make all the tracks one long one, especially as I don't care about skipping to the "next" track.)

If they were simple text files I could have just done it the old fashioned way in a dos box, like

copy *.txt bigfile.txt

but if only it were that easy. I'll look for something that effectively does that though.

Gapless playback - No FM2R
And if every text file had a blank line then bigfile.txt you retain that line between "paragraphs" .

Its the same thing; you can join the mp3s but to an extent each track will still rearetain the silent parts of the fade in/out.

And I know the typing is awful, sorry. Barbecue sauce and smart screens don't seem to get along.
Yes, it was figurative rather than literal but your point is taken. Maybe I should change my musical tastes. Be easier.

Now, where's that Hawkwind CD?

PS Barbecue sauce is the spawn of Satan.
>> PS Barbecue sauce is the spawn of Satan

Not when its made from raw ingredients by my wife, it isn't.
 Gapless playback - WillDeBeest
...you don't get 45 minutes of live gapless performance...

Not a Wagner fan, then?
Latest Forum Posts