Computer Related > Genina Sudoku app Computing Issues
Thread Author: Mike H Replies: 15

Genina Sudoku app - Mike H
Just wondered if anyone here was using the free sudoku app from Genina.com? I have a bizarre problem with data usage on my Motorola G running Android 5, in that the SIM shows only 35Mb data used in the last two and a half weeks, but my service provider reckons I've used 1355Mb, which all seems to be in twice per minute data packages of 400 bytes (I'm lucky enough to be able to call up a detailed breakdown online).

This morning, I've proved that these small data packages start and stop when I connect and disconnect respectively, to a wifi network, which makes it all the more bizarre. There was a gap of a few days when it didn't happen. It only seems to start after I've used the sudoku app. Details of the app shows that it wants access to the phone id and network. Anyone else seen a similar problem? There are ads showing on the free app and I'm wondering if this is how it's funded? I've now uninstalled the app to see if anything changes.

If anyone has any other ideas, I'd be delighted to know about them! This is my first foray into the android and smartphone arena, so I'm on a learning curve, although I'm impressed with the ease of use and intuitiveness so far. Thanks in advance :-)
 Genina Sudoku app - Zero
Well, there are plenty of soduku apps about, I use "Soduku Daily" and have done for a while on iPhone, Android and on Macbook.

did you have that right? 1.3gb of data in two weeks? thats a lot, a lot more than your 400 byte packets, which sound to me like regular handshaking
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 28 Mar 15 at 11:57
>> did you have that right? 1.3gb of data in two weeks? thats a lot, a
>> lot more than your 400 byte packets, which sound to me like regular handshaking
>>
Yup, 1355Mb! In 24 hours, at two packets of 400 bytes per minute, works out around 115Mb. I had been keeping a daily record, but didn't yesterday as I forgot, so it's been going on for over 2 days.

I first noticed it just after I got the phone. Within three days, I'd run out of credit, which caused me to investigate. Then it stopped while I was out of Austria in the UK from 17-21 March. I switched data roaming off, checked it every day, and nothing extra was recorded against the SIM according to the phone. When I got back on the 21st, I switched data back on for my home network. Until Thursday (2 days ago), the usage recorded on the SIM and the usage recorded by my service provider both crept up by a couple of megabytes. So far so good. Then, and this is also strange, within a minute of checking the data records online on Thursday, the small data packets came back and have continued until I discovered them this morning just before I posted, which works out around 400Mb. They stopped for an hour or so yesterday when I left the house and was out of wifi range!!

There are two issues here - one is the discrepancy between what the SIM and my service provider are recording, and secondly, perhaps more bizarrely, these data packets only occur whilst connected to wifi.

I get a line-by-line account from my service provider, there are currently 5700 pages of data at around 12 lines per page to wade through.....

P.S. I have double checked that I'm quoting the correct units in this latest update ;-)

PPS Should also add that the packets aren't always precisely 400 bytes, but it's the most common figure, some I've noticed are 358. The only two apps that I leave running with my knowledge are Messaging and Email.
Last edited by: Mike H on Sat 28 Mar 15 at 13:25
 Not the Genina Sudoku app - Mike H
Update: still continues since the Sudoku was uninstalled, so clearly not that! Have closed Messenger down to see what happens.
 Genina Sudoku app - Focusless
>> Yup, 1355Mb! In 24 hours, at two packets of 400 bytes per minute, works out
>> around 115Mb.

400 * 2 * 60 * 24 = 1.15Mb per day

Over 2.5 weeks gives approx 20Mb, unless I've got some units wrong or something.
Last edited by: Focusless on Sat 28 Mar 15 at 15:41
 Genina Sudoku app - Focusless
It's not something like Dropbox syncing all your photos/videos onto your phone?
Last edited by: Focusless on Sat 28 Mar 15 at 15:43
>> 400 * 2 * 60 * 24 = 1.15Mb per day
>>
>> Over 2.5 weeks gives approx 20Mb, unless I've got some units wrong or something.
>>
True, obviously didn't check the units thoroughly enough :-(

Interesting point though, perhaps the service provider's software is making the same mistake somewhere along the line? They're relatively new. The service provider is Aldi, aka Hofer in Austria, providing a service on the back of T-Mobile.

But to go back to the point, there seems to be no reason earth why the SIM card is showing such radically different data usage. And the only apps I am aware of that were running were Email and Messenger, and I've shut the latter down now. I don't have Dropbox installed, although Google+ does a weekly backup.

Is there any way of finding out which background apps are running silently in the background?

I want to be sure it's a service-related issue before pursuing it with them, although it can't, as far as I can see, be anything else.
Last edited by: Mike H on Sat 28 Mar 15 at 16:19
...and as a matter of interest, the service provider is now showing 1457Mb, whereas it showed 1408Mb 3 hours ago. I have't touched it during this time.And the SIM data value is unchanged at 34.81.

I need to sit down and scribe a full description of this to my service provider, something is clearly very wrong :-(
Just phoned the service provider, who have asked me to email screen shots of the phone and the online account, and one of their technicians will look at it on Monday - meanwhile it gobbles my money :-( Obviously nothing straightforward.
 Genina Sudoku app - Zero
>> Is there any way of finding out which background apps are running silently in the
>> background?

There is a way to show which apps are using the data

Settings/Wireless & Networks/Data usage

and one to show whats running

Settings/apps/running
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 28 Mar 15 at 18:13
>> There is a way to show which apps are using the data
>>
>> Settings/Wireless & Networks/Data usage
>>
Yep, knew about that, adds up to 34.81Mb

>> and one to show whats running
>>
>> Settings/apps/running
>>
Blimey! There's quite a few that seem to have no good reason to be active, e.g. Kindle, Facebook, Gallery. Is there likely to be any harm done by stopping them?
 Genina Sudoku app - Zero

>> Blimey! There's quite a few that seem to have no good reason to be active,
>> e.g. Kindle, Facebook, Gallery. Is there likely to be any harm done by stopping them?

you can stop those you recognise as not wanting or using. No permanent damage is done just by stopping them, a power off and on will restore stuff to its running states.
OK, have been in touch with the service provider. They advise me that it's a known issue with the phone, that causes it to access the mobile network while on wifi, and that I should manually switch data off every time I hit a wireless network. Took this with a pinch of salt, but have found some references to it being a problem with the Motorola G, and found a way of automating it with an app called Tasker. I have at least proved that, if I turn the SIM data off while on wifi, it records no data access.

Smartphones can be a steep learning curve when things don't go according to plan :-(
 Genina Sudoku app - Zero

>> being a problem with the Motorola G, and found a way of automating it with
>> an app called Tasker.

not a problem with my Moto G
I gather it doesn't necessarily affect them all, perhaps there is some sort of interaction with other apps. There's still the question mark in my mind as to why so much data gets recorded on their system but virtually none on my phone. But certainly turning data off on the SIM seems to sort it.
 Sudoku - Falkirk Bairn
You can buy Novelty Toilet Rolls with some words + dictionary entries - pronunciation, meanings etc.

They then thought about Soduko Toilet Rolls but it never took off - only No1's and No 2s were allowed!

I'll get my coat
Latest Forum Posts