Computer Related > Firefox Computing Issues
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 11

Firefox - Ambo
I am trying out Firefox. I like its speed compared to IE/ Google and its ability to retain login details inclcludng passwords. However, the three features it lacks by comparison are a spellckecker; the "eyebrow" that follows unretained passwords and enables the actual characters to be displayed pro tem (not the asterisks) and a View command to enlarge the font size.. Is there a way round these? (I want a spell checker that intervenes without extra clicks or expense).
Last edited by: R.P. on Mon 6 Apr 15 at 16:00
 Firefox - Stuartli
To Enable the Spellchecker, go to Tools>Options>Advanced>General tab>tick the Check My Spelling As I Type box.

If you want to Enlarge the webpage images, it's Ctrl and + to Enlarge or Ctrl and - to Reduce.

Not clear what you mean by the "eyebrow"....

Waterfox, the 64bit version of the browser, is worth adopting if you have a 64bit operating system as it's quicker. You can also use Speedyfox to further improve speed. See:

www.waterfoxproject.org/

www.crystalidea.com/speedyfox

It uses the Firefox profiles and you should choose it as the Default. Update both Waterfox and Firefox as necessary.

Also clear the web cache frequently (from the route for Spellchecker earlier, but Network tab).
Last edited by: Stuartli on Mon 6 Apr 15 at 15:22
 Firefox - No FM2R
>>a View command to enlarge the fontsize

I use Waterfox and its simply View / Zoom / Zoom in.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 6 Apr 15 at 15:29
 Firefox - Stuartli
>>I use Waterfox and its simply View / Zoom / Zoom in.>>

They replicate Ctrl + and Ctl - ...:-)

Worth ambo reading Firefox tips:

support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/customize-firefox-controls-buttons-and-toolbars
Last edited by: Stuartli on Mon 6 Apr 15 at 17:01
 Firefox - Zero
TBH, "speed" of browser is myth. They are all just as "fast" as each other. The differences of geeky microseconds is of no consequence for the normal user. The use of a browser is all about its look, feel, features and facilities. But most importantly its about ability to render web pages correctly 100% of the time - which some of them still seem PP at sometimes.
 Firefox - Ambo
The trouble is there is no task bar and I can find no way to install one, thus I can't use any of the commands suggested. Is it possible i some way to mis-install Firefox?
 Firefox - Zero
press f11?
 Firefox - No FM2R
I don;t know if this is the best way, but it may help..........

Go to the URL About:config

[i.e. type about:config into the address bar]

That will show you all settings. Search for the word "Toolbar" and make sure its set to True.

Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 9 Apr 15 at 14:33
 Firefox - bathtub tom
>>The trouble is there is no task bar

Tap the 'Alt' key.
 Firefox - Stuartli
Right click on an empty area of the "Task bar" and tick Menu bar from the menu.
 Firefox - Manatee
Waterfox seemed to have no advantages on my laptop, and ultimately caused a problem - I kept getting warnings about spurious updates, and some extensions didn't work. Neither would it uninstall properly.

I'd leave that alone if you can get what you want with Firefox, which seems fine recently.
 Firefox - Stuartli
>> Waterfox seemed to have no advantages on my laptop, and ultimately caused a problem -
I kept getting warnings about spurious updates, and some extensions didn't work. Neither would it uninstall properly.>>

Never had such problems over many years, but you do need a 64bit version of Windows to use it...!! You should also ensure it's the Default browser over Firefox or any other browser.
Latest Forum Posts