Computer Related > Missing disk space!!! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 8

Missing disk space!!! - smokie
I just noticed something odd. I have a 512Gb (476Gb usable) Samsung PRO SSD as my C drive.

Explorer reports 372Gb free of 476Gb. So about 100Gb in use.

But when I look using Treesize Pro or WinDirStat (showing hidden and system files), or go into the Properties of each folder I can only total about 47Gb data.

I'm definitely including system files like hiberfil.sys but I must be missing something. Or the summary is reporting wrongly. Any suggestions?

I took a Macrium Reflect image and it's just over 60Gb whereas the image in Feb (and I've not installed much since then) was only 44Gb.

Any thoughts?
 Missing disk space!!! - devonite

Any thoughts? - not really except:

Could it be compressing the data, but reporting the original file size? - could the extra 16gb on the image size be due to windows updates?
 Missing disk space!!! - Fursty Ferret
Recycle Bin?
 Missing disk space!!! - rtj70
Smokie posted a reply about 10 minutes after his post last night. He said he'd found the missing space but that post is now gone. He posted at 19:07.
 Missing disk space!!! - Zero

>> that post is now gone. He posted at 19:07.

Indeed it has - thats very weird, proof indeed - if it were needed - that stuff does just magically disappear - I doubt a mod would have pulled it.

However for the avoidance of doubt - I blame Dave.
 Missing disk space!!! - VxFan
>> I blame Dave.

Bound to be him. It always is.
 Missing disk space!!! - smokie
Nah it was I. I found the solution and thought that as many people hadn't seen the orig post and even fewer would be interested in the fix I'd delete the post. So I'm not really sure how this has re-appeared.

Anyway it was down to a single library called LocalMLS which creates jpg files for all your media, unless you disable the service which does it, which is called Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service (WMPNetworkSvc).

There were 1.2m files in that library sitting on 43Gb of disk space - admittedly I do have a large library of media but that is a bit excessive. So once the service was disabled I deleted the library and have recovered my space.

It was the ability to compare the new and old Reflect disk images which led me to the solution. In Reflect you can mount an image as a drive to explore it, and therefore recover just single files if required. Really useful feature.

In case anyone wants to check the size of their LocalMLS you can find it here (need to turn on viewing Hidden files) - C: Windows ServiceProfiles NetworkService AppData Local Microsoft MediaPlayer Art Cache LocalMLS (replace spaces with backslashes)

EDIT Also I just found I'd previously asked and answered the same query here back in 2011...
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 13 Apr 15 at 10:59
 Missing disk space!!! - Manatee
Thanks.

Nothing in mine, though I don't remember specifically disabling the service I suppose I must have on one of my decluttering sessions.
 Missing disk space!!! - bathtub tom
>>EDIT Also I just found I'd previously asked and answered the same query here back in 2011...

What's the name of that disease that makes you forget things, I can't remember what it's called?

;>)
Latest Forum Posts