Computer Related > Laptop to TV Display Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 12

Laptop to TV Display - Robin O'Reliant
I use a laptop connected to the TV to view the Eurosport App in comfort. The TV is a 32" and the display doesn't fill the screen, it's about 28" or so. How do I get it to show full screen on the TV, fiddle with the laptop display setting or with the telly?
 Laptop to TV Display - rtj70
You don't say what laptop, TV or how you are connecting them. So we don't know:

- HDMI or VGA connection
- Resolution of laptop screen
- HD or full HD (720p or 1080p or even 1080i for the TV)
Compaq laptop with a 15" screen, connected to 1080 full HD (Can't find anything about I or P) via HDMI cable.
>> Compaq laptop with a 15" screen

But what resolution? There's obviously scaling involved. You've still not told us which model laptop either.

If this was a car thread, you'd not be explaining an issue and saying it's a Ford. You'd be telling us it was say a 1.6 TDCi Focus Zetec 6-speed manual or whatever.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 14 Apr 15 at 20:28
In fact it is more likely a 15.6" Compaq. I am guessing it's only 1366x768. Which is at least the same aspect ratio as a 1920x1080 screen. So ought to scale.
 Laptop to TV Display - No FM2R
Televisions have a default view (as opposed to Zoom, Letterbox, etc). First ensure the TV is not set to zoom or crop, since that will just confuse stuff.

Then go to the PC and adjust the settings there for the relevant display.

How you change those settings will depend on the version of Windows and perhaps the model of laptop. But it will be related to the display settings as can be frequently found by right-clicking on the desk top.

It could be under display settings, personalise or other similar menu items.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 14 Apr 15 at 20:34
 Laptop to TV Display - Zero
>> I use a laptop connected to the TV to view the Eurosport App in comfort.
>> The TV is a 32" and the display doesn't fill the screen, it's about 28"
>> or so. How do I get it to show full screen on the TV, fiddle
>> with the laptop display setting or with the telly?

You fiddle with the laptop. When you have the TV connected tot he laptop you fiddle with the resolution, and as it is plug and play it should remember that next time you plug it in.
>> >>
>> You fiddle with the laptop. When you have the TV connected tot he laptop you
>> fiddle with the resolution, and as it is plug and play it should remember that
>> next time you plug it in.
>>
Cheers, I'll have a go at that. It's no great issue but it would be nice to have a full picture.
 Laptop to TV Display - Pat
We do that but just 'mirror' the laptop screen and it fills the TV screen.

Don't ask me how though!

Pat
 Laptop to TV Display - VxFan
>> Don't ask me how though!

Microsoft Fairies ;)
 Laptop to TV Display - Pat
More likely the Flying Witch shouting at Ian, 'I'm NOT missing the start of the race so get it sorted now':)

Pat
 Laptop to TV Display - Focusless
Do you have 'multiple displays' or similar settings in your laptop's graphics properties? If so, that should allow you to watch Eurosport on the TV at its natural resolution while doing other stuff (should you wish) on the laptop at its resolution; we use it when watching stuff on the laptop/TV.

You might find there's a function key on your keyboard that cycles through (or brings up a menu for) the multi-display options .
Thanks everyone, managed to find the display setting on the laptop which recognised the TV and gave me full screen.
Latest Forum Posts