Computer Related > Google Chrome no longer supports SkySports etc Computing Issues
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 4

Google Chrome no longer supports SkySports etc - Falkirk Bairn
Occasionally SWMBO is watching her programme and, in order to keep in favour, I watch Sky on the laptop.

Chrome is no longer supporting Silverlight plug-in, - a pre-req for watching Sky.

I have used Firefox in the past. I have had IE issues.

What would the team recommend to enable Sky Sports on my Laptop?
 Google Chrome no longer supports SkySports etc - Robin O'Reliant
I just stick with IE these days. Silverlight works ok on that.
 Google Chrome no longer supports SkySports etc - Stuartli
>>I just stick with IE these days. Silverlight works ok on that.>>

Would be surprising if it didn't...:-)

There is a Silverlight plug-in for Firefox/Waterfox:

www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/Get-Started/Install/Default.aspx
 Google Chrome no longer supports SkySports etc - rtj70
Google has recently disabled the Netscape Plugin API (NPAPI) which stops Silverlight from working. But for now NPAPI can be reenabled and therefore Silverlight should work - but not on a Mac (a 64-bit Silverlight does not exist). Later this year further update will remove NPAPI altogether from Chrome.

I've just updated Chrome on my Windows 7 PC to the latest, reenabled NPAPI and BT Sport works fine. If you're using a 64-bit Mac then you're out of luck.

So try going to:

chrome://flags/#enable-npapi

and relaunch the browser afterwards.

Note I tried with BT Sport (which would have the same issue) because there's no restrictions on which devices can access it unlike how Sky restrict you.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 21 Apr 15 at 14:29
 Google Chrome no longer supports SkySports etc - rtj70
I forgot, Sky stopped supporting Chrome a while back didn't they. This is not a Silverlight issue for Sky Sports viewing - it is Sky not letting you use Chrome. The fact Silverlight is disabled is kind of irrelevant for Sky viewing in the Chrome browser.

What I suggest above won't work in Chrome will it. Sorry. Back to using Firefox, Safari or IE.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 21 Apr 15 at 14:42
Latest Forum Posts