Computer Related > Graphics card Computing Issues
Thread Author: devonite Replies: 13

Graphics card - devonite
Morning Chaps!
I'm looking to upgrade the onboard graphics on my Dell optiplex gx620 (Intel(R)83945G express chipset family 256mb) for a better mid-priced PCI/AGP card with at least 1GB memory. It needs to be a low-form factor card. It's ages since I last bought a card, and I have totally lost track of them! Can anybody recommend a reliable card for me please? I've been looking at Dells, Radeon and N'vidia cards, but am open to all suggestions!

Thanks!
 Graphics card - Zero

>> please? I've been looking at Dells, Radeon and N'vidia cards, but am open to all
>> suggestions!
>>
>> Thanks!

what ever it is make sure its a a radeon.
 Graphics card - Focusless
>> what ever it is make sure its a a radeon.

Out of curiosity, any particular reason eg. drivers?
 Graphics card - Zero
>> >> what ever it is make sure its a a radeon.
>>
>> Out of curiosity, any particular reason eg. drivers?

Mostly stability and compatibility of drivers yes, and based on the past less of a tendency to clock the GPU beyond good practice - in short they run cooler.
 Graphics card - Focusless
>> Mostly stability and compatibility of drivers yes, and based on the past less of a
>> tendency to clock the GPU beyond good practice - in short they run cooler.

I thought nVidia drivers tended to be more stable (just based on my son's recent search for a replacement card, not an exhaustive survey)?

(Or should "a a radeon" in your post have been "not a radeon"?)
 Graphics card - Zero

>> I thought nVidia drivers tended to be more stable

Based on loads of experience, I disagree.
 Graphics card - smokie
I used to only get NVidias because I thought they were best (not sure why) but my last two cards have been Radeons and all seemed to perform well, and no driver issues I can recall.

Mind you the first of these two was the first video card I've ever had expire on me, and at just 1 month out of warranty too!

EDIT: There is, IMO, too much gravity given to "historic" info. For instance people were going on about IBM disk quality, and referring to deathstar disks, years after the issues which promoted that reputation were ironed out. Same with other stuff too I suppose - if you were around in the 80s would you buy a Skoda?
Last edited by: smokie on Thu 7 May 15 at 10:17
 Graphics card - Zero
>
>> EDIT: There is, IMO, too much gravity given to "historic" info. For instance people were
>> going on about IBM disk quality, and referring to deathstar disks, years after the issues
>> which promoted that reputation were ironed out.

I worked for IBM, the problem with death stars was never sorted out, right up to the time they sold it to Hitachi. Without historic info - we like to call it experience - you only have a crystal ball.
 Graphics card - devonite
Thanks for the advice folks, I read a bit about different cards, but in the end I stuck a "virtual" pin into Ebay and came up with this:

2GB Radeon R7 240 Low Profile PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Video Card With HDMI Port.

Performance -wise it won't break any records, but it will be (should be) better than the on-board graphics!

Graphics card - Falkirk Bairn
Was that the drives that earned the name

Mainz means Faultz

A play on beans mean Heinz
 Graphics card - Zero
>> Was that the drives that earned the name
>>
>> Mainz means Faultz
>>
>> A play on beans mean Heinz

Nah these were made in Singapore, then Malaysia, then Indonesia.
 Graphics card - devonite
set about fitting the card tonight, and soon came across a problem, which raises the query:

Why fit a "Low-profile" card on a standard full-size bracket that won't fit the case?!!
 Graphics card - smokie
I have no experience of these but have a look at this. www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUl0sJ-SK8s (which is some other low profile card). Seems the back bracket may be detachable for low profile, with another low profile bracket being supplied (or maybe an optional extra?).
 Graphics card - devonite
Thanks for that Smokie,

it helped solved the problem, I took the supplied card as the full item, as thats all that came, but watching link made me re-read the listing, and there should be 2x rear brackets!! obviously the low-profile one is the missing one (typical). I wonder why a low-profile card is fitted with a standard one with the low-profile bracket being the optional? might make more sense if it were the other way around.

Cheers!
Latest Forum Posts