Computer Related > Android & WiFi Miscellaneous
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 22

Android & WiFi - No FM2R
As an aside, are we supposed to put phone questions in Non-Motoring or Computer Related?

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 running Lollipop.

In my house I have a number of different WiFi networks. Whilst you cannot get far enough away from a WiFi network to stop it working, you can still get far enough from it to make it work badly - and the one my phone picks up as I come through the gates is not the one I want it to normally use.

That particular network is for outside and its reception inside is rubbish. I don't want to delete it, because obviously sometimes I'm outside. But I do want it to favour an internal WiFi.

Anybody know a way? Or even an approach. [Changing to a single WiFi network with boosters I guess might make the problem go away, but a bit of an a*** to do - if in fact you can make it roam from one booster to another]

I think you used to be able to prioritise networks in KitKat, but I can't find a way in Lollipop.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 29 Apr 15 at 00:10
 Android & WiFi - VxFan
>> As an aside, are we supposed to put phone questions in Non-Motoring or Computer Related?

As your question is Wi-Fi related to your phone, I would say you've asked it in the correct place.

But for example if it was a problem with the SIM card, that wasn't browsing related, then t'other place would do.

Back to your question though. Is it not easy just to go into the phone's settings and select the preferred Wi-Fi signal?
 Android & WiFi - No FM2R
>> Is it not easy just to go into the phone's settings and select the preferred Wi-Fi signal?

S'wot I do. But I usually do it because I spot something moving at a snail's pace and eventually guess what it is. (I'm not a quick learner).

I like the fact that one way or another one can configure and adapt an Android to fit pretty much any environment you want, seamlessly. This is one of the two things which mildly irritate me because I can't.

And I have the same problem in more than one place, so if there was a contrived way of getting around it, that would be good to know.

Android & WiFi - smokie
Guess you found this? I've no idea if it works.

"It seems to prioritise based on the most recent network added on my phone so I ‘Forgot’ the network that I wanted to take precedence and then added it again. It now appears to connect to the preferred network after switching wifi off. Maybe it will work for others too"

Not sure I'd use these but you might want to

appslollipop.com/Apps_Change-the-Default-WiFi-on-Mac_Lollipop.html

appslollipop.com/Apps_Wifi-shortcut_Lollipop.html

Somewhere along the way I read something about coding NFC tags to do stuff with your phone, which included selecting your preferred WiFi. I know nothing about NFC except what I've just read, but it looks a bit of fun (if you can think of a practical use) and I think selecting WiFi may qualify. NFC tags are really cheap (I just ordered 10 for £2) and there is a tool for encoding here, probably one of many - rapidnfc.com/how_to_encode_nfc_tags. it may be as clumsy as manually choosing the network though. (The tag writer that page recommends is here play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nxp.nfc.tagwriter&hl=en_GB)
Last edited by: smokie on Wed 29 Apr 15 at 08:38
 Android & WiFi - No FM2R
Good pointer Smokie - Tasker & NFC tags seem to be the way to go. I can have lots of fun with them.

Its certainly worth ordering a few to see.
 Android & WiFi - Dog
Lollipops and KitKat ... the worlds gorn mad I tell you, MAD!

:o}
 Android & WiFi - VxFan
>> Lollipops and KitKat ... the worlds gorn mad I tell you, MAD!

You think that's mad. Check out the names of their other operating platforms.

www.android.com/history/

Android & WiFi - Stuartli
"Check out the names of their other operating platforms."

It's a bit of fun and, at least, there's a theme, unlike Windows 7, 8 and 10...:-)
 Android & WiFi - smokie
Yeah, I'm struggling to find anything really worthwhile for NFC ( - allowing guests onto your WiFi could almost qualify, but too dependent on them having NFC) - but here's some other peoples ideas, with considerable overlap)

trendblog.net/creative-and-useful-ways-to-use-nfc-tags-with-your-smartphone/

lifehacker.com/six-sweet-things-you-can-do-with-nfc-1323120090

www.phonearena.com/news/10-clever-uses-for-an-Android-smartphone-with-NFC-and-NFC-tags_id64874

www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/the-most-practical-creative-ways-to-use-nfc-with-your-android-device/

blog.nxp.com/20-creative-uses-for-nfc-technology/

For me, ones which stand out for the fun factor are sending SMSs, WiFi access, setting up phone for use in car and turning on my PC remotely, although I wanted that to be truly remote not somewhere else in the house, which I already have working (WoL).
 Android & WiFi - Stuartli
My Canon Pixma printer has the NFC feature to enable direct printing from a device such as my HTC One M8.

Android & WiFi - No FM2R
How close does a phone need to be to an NFC tag to react to it?
 Android & WiFi - Zero
>> How close does a phone need to be to an NFC tag to react to
>> it?

Depends on the chip set in the interrogator / receiver, and if it is a powered or passive tag, but 2-6cm max is typical depending on application.

Some applications are of course set to much less than that.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 29 Apr 15 at 19:00
 Android & WiFi - No FM2R
So, I'd need to put these NFC tags right next to where I place my phone, rather than it being able to pick it up anywhere in the room then, I guess.

Does the NFC tag pass a command to the phone, or does the NFC tag simply identify itself and the phone has to know what to do when it encounters that tag?

Android & WiFi - Zero
>> So, I'd need to put these NFC tags right next to where I place my
>> phone, rather than it being able to pick it up anywhere in the room then,
>> I guess.

yes, very close indeed, that is the whole concept of it, up close and personal.

>> Does the NFC tag pass a command to the phone, or does the NFC tag
>> simply identify itself and the phone has to know what to do when it encounters
>> that tag?

you can write the contents of NFC tag with the nfc function on your phone. It just usually only then read by any other phone
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 29 Apr 15 at 19:47
 Android & WiFi - No FM2R
>> It just usually only then read by any other phone

I don't quite get your point, but being read by other phones is exactly what I am thinking of.

Could you explain?
 Android & WiFi - Zero
>> >> It just usually only then read by any other phone
>>
>> I don't quite get your point, but being read by other phones is exactly what
>> I am thinking of.
>>
>> Could you explain?

rapidnfc.com/how_to_encode_nfc_tags
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 29 Apr 15 at 20:07
 Android & WiFi - rtj70
>> So, I'd need to put these NFC tags right next to where I place my phone

It is NEAR FIELD communcation TAG.... so yes the tag and phone need to be NEAR. That's the point. Unlike RFID it is a close proximity form of communication between tag and NFC device. So a matter of inches.
 Android & WiFi - No FM2R
Thanks guys, I've done the same as Smokie and ordered some, although mine will take longer to arrive!

Then I'm going to play.
 Android & WiFi - RichardW
I was going to say "there must be an app for that"... appears to be:

Super WiFi Manager aims to be a "one stop shop" of wireless connectivity. It allows users to scan for free access points, sort and prioritize network connections based on signal strength, auto-connects and disconnects the WiFi radio based on user-initiated rules or preset schedules. It even analyzes and reports on the signal quality and data throughput of your current connection. The free version is ad supported, though they can be removed via an in-app purchase.

Plus loads of others no doubt!
 Android & WiFi - No FM2R
Thanks for that.

Sadly Super WiFi Manager hardly has the best feedback. Most of the ratings which are high are those without comments, which I always think is suspect. Most of those with comments are not complimentary.
 Android & WiFi - smokie
Got the tags yesterday but didn't have time to look at them till this morning. Attaching to a specific already-defined WiFi is really easy. It could be more tricky if you've not previously entered the authentication (i.e. for guests) but the websites say that can be done.

Now I need to find something useful to do with it...

There is some amazing stuff out there when you start looking. I watched a Google video about location tracking and how they have written APIs which massively improve accuracy, indoors and outdoors, and "geo-fencing". It's similar to stuff we already have but seems much more powerful - a programmer can write an app which defines a geo-fence ring (i.e. round a house, or in their suggestion, Starbucks). When a user passes through that fenced area you would get invites/vouchers etc. It was watching videos like this which meant i didn't have time to play NFC tags yesterday!!! The internet can be such a time-gobbler.
 Android & WiFi - smokie
If you have Android Lollipop then writing a tag for guests to connect to your WiFi is easy (including passphrase). Long hold the connection name in settings and there is a menu option to write to NFC tag.

My Xperia isn't yet on Lollipop so I used an app to create a tag to make the connection but it didn't include the passphrase, which you'd then need to manually key as far as I can see - which defeats the point if you are writing a tag for guests to use to log into your WiFi. But if the connection and password is already stored in your phone it just connects right away, which would suit NOFM2Rs need.

Obviously tags will only work with NFC compatible devices.
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 4 May 15 at 15:12
 Android & WiFi - No FM2R
>>Long hold the connection name in settings and there is a menu option to write to NFC tag.

Thanks for that, Smokie. I didn't know it was that easy.
Latest Forum Posts