Computer Related > New posts Computing Issues
Thread Author: sooty123 Replies: 10

When using the tablet to look on here and my phone it seems to know what I've already looked at. Say I'll look at some posts on my phone, look at some on the tablet.when i go back to the phone there will be no 'new' posts on the phone next to posts I've read on the tablet. If that makes sense?

How does it know?
Are you using chrome on both?
No, just whatever samsungs come with as standard.
>> there will be no 'new' posts on the phone next to posts I've read on the tablet. If that makes sense?

Of course there won't be. Because you've read them on the tablet they've been flagged as being read and this will duplicate itself on your phone because your cookie file that's saved on both devices (providing you use the same log in name) knows what you've previously looked at and what you haven't.
I have never understood the logic behind the logging in process with this software.

Assuming that on the computer / phone / tablet that I am using I have at least once logged into Car4Play, then it has the cookies and will thus record my send/unseen etc. etc. against my username.

If I want to actually post a note, then I have to type in my password to be able to do so.

I presume that I have to type in my password to write something in case its someone else using my computer. Fair enough.

But if its not me using my computer, I don't want it updating my seen/unseen map either, so that also should only work after I have logged in.

Now, I know I was heavily involved, and I know that Stephen worked very hard to respond to all the functionality requests we gave him, and to address everything we thought was inappropriate, but I cannot for the life of me remember that issue being discussed, or if it was discussed, why I thought it was ok. But I guess there was some logic we agreed with at the time. I blame alcohol.

Stephen's cooperation and enthusiasm for achieving the right answer was all the more impressive when you consider the fact that the rest of us had not clue 1 about what we were trying to achieve.

I'd guess it was around 2001/2, because I'm sure I was living in Copacabana at the time.

Anyway, the point is if you have ever used that machine to log into car4play, it will always maintain your seen/unseen map every time you access the site even if you don't log in.

If you have never logged in on that machine, then it will not. Or it will try to, but it all goes a bit squiffy because it doesn't know who you are.
>> But if its not me using my computer, I don't want it updating my seen/unseen
>> map either, so that also should only work after I have logged in.

I think though I'm right in saying it will only update the seen/unseen map if the site is opened in your browser. That might be a problem if a shared machine's browser uses a common set of tabs which open automatically for all sharing users. It seems OK otherwise.

The current set up on HJ by contrast requires the user to log in again at regular intervals failing which the seen/unseen feature disappears. On HJ that is at least straightforward as log in dialogue box is embedded within each forum page.

The Caravan Club's forum logs users off at an even shorter period and requires them to click a login/register link in order to log in each time which is a PITA. TBH few sites are as easy as this one.
I f you are using Android,you are using chrome as your browser. It has the ability to synch everything - cookies, auto fill lists, history, across devices.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 1 May 15 at 08:19
Can it do that even if you don't synch the devices ?
>> Can it do that even if you don't synch the devices ?

the bowser in android does it explicitly unless you tell it not to.
> Of course there won't be. Because you've read them on the tablet they've been flagged
>> as being read and this will duplicate itself on your phone because your cookie file
>> that's saved on both devices (providing you use the same log in name) knows what
>> you've previously looked at and what you haven't.

Even if I'm not logged in. The log in is quite short, if it just says my user name is that enough?
>> Even if I'm not logged in. The log in is quite short, if it just says my user name is that enough?

Yep. The cookie remembers your session whether logged in or not - that's why your username still gets displayed. Even as a returning "guest" on the same browser will do it, but not on different PCs / web browsers.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 1 May 15 at 16:10
Latest Forum Posts