Computer Related > "Test my laptop to see why it's slow" Download? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fenlander Replies: 7

"Test my laptop to see why it's slow" Download? - Fenlander
Is there a safe download that would run some sort of scan on our Toshiba laptop before I call it u/s and replace.

I've seen overheat warnings but ignored them as the fan seems to cut in and out OK.... and there is no dust or crud to be seen.
 "Test my laptop to see why it's slow" Download? - No FM2R
I'm not entirely sure what you're after FL, but this will add to your knowledge, especially about the temperature issue.

openhardwaremonitor.org/
 "Test my laptop to see why it's slow" Download? - Zero
Yup good place to start by Mark.. Test the hardware before you start poking around in the software specially when you are getting warnings.

Most modern CPUs throttle back when they approach critical heat levels. (after the days when a range of AMD cpus used to combust spectacularly)
OK thanks guys... I'll see what NoFM's download shows up... if anything.

Just that our fairly lightly loaded Windows 7 laptop that seems free of virus or malware is grinding to a halt... add in the occasional overheat warning despite it being free of dust and I'm wondering if it is recoverable without real effort or if its time is up.

Busy tomorrow but will have a look on Sunday.
 "Test my laptop to see why it's slow" Download? - rtj70
It might be free of dust but the fan for the CPU could have failed.
 "Test my laptop to see why it's slow" Download? - Kevin
Had this problem on Mrs K's previous laptop.

The fan was working OK but the thermal paste between CPU and heatsink had deteriorated.

With any machine less than about 10yo a faulty fan will throw up an error from firmware when it is booted.
I'll have to look at that. You can see a fan spinning if you look in the bottom but perhaps there is another that's failed??

However I've run that program of NoFM's and it seems, at the moment, to be a fairly stable 50degC which seems about right?

I've also run a program I found somewhere that advised upping the power plan to highest (from something like balanced). Immediately the screen was brighter and everything is faster.

As a matter of accuracy I should say this laptop is running directly from its mains power supply with the, long failed, battery removed.

So perhaps with a little more housekeeping it will be fine.... or at least acceptable.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sun 3 May 15 at 00:46
 "Test my laptop to see why it's slow" Download? - Zero

>> However I've run that program of NoFM's and it seems, at the moment, to be
>> a fairly stable 50degC which seems about right?

50c is fine. Start tinkering with the software. A complete format and reload would really whiz it up.
Latest Forum Posts