Computer Related > Fibre Optic Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 15

Fibre Optic - Robin O'Reliant
Just been enabled for the above in this part of the world and I'm getting it installed next Friday, only an extra fiver a month from PlusNet. I'm only on 2Mb at the moment, will I notice much difference?
 Fibre Optic - Zero
>> Just been enabled for the above in this part of the world and I'm getting
>> it installed next Friday, only an extra fiver a month from PlusNet. I'm only on
>> 2Mb at the moment, will I notice much difference?

Is this FTC? (Fibre to the cabinet) How far away is your cabinet.
>> >>
>> Is this FTC? (Fibre to the cabinet) How far away is your cabinet.
>>
Four to five hundred yards max at an estimate. PlusNet estimate between 39 and 41Mb, would that be realistic?
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Thu 7 May 15 at 19:38
 Fibre Optic - Zero
then you'll get between 12-20mbs
>> then you'll get between 12-20mbs
>>
That'll be like lightening compared to two.
 Fibre Optic - spamcan61
>> then you'll get between 12-20mbs
>>

Recently changed my Plusnet BB to FTTC, seeing as us yokels are now getting 'superfast' broadband, and it's 2 quid a month cheaper than the ADSL package I had. Reckon it's 400m to the cabinet and I've gone from 12Mbps to 24 Mbps down, 1Mbps to 6 Mbps up. Noticeable when downloading big files, I'm more interested in the increased upload bandwidth as that makes cloud backup of photo/video a lot quicker.
 Fibre Optic - No FM2R
I would think it is almost inevitable that you will see a HUGE improvement.

The only thing which might hang it back is if you are a long way from wherever the optic cable finishes.
Just measured it on Map-O-Meter and it's actually 150 yards.
 Fibre Optic - No FM2R
At 150 yards you will be restricted by your contract, not the technology.

In the real world you will really notice a big difference - never mind if you download stuff, but image drawing, streaming video on the BBC website etc. etc.

Loads quicker.
 Fibre Optic - zippy
My girlfriend has FTC from Talktalk. She is about 300 yards from the cabinet and gets a consistent 34mbps down and 2mbps up. It was 1mbps previously.

It is really noticeable when downloading files like MP3's, PDF's etc - they come down the line at lightening speed. Web browsing is better / faster but not 30 times faster.

The real difference comes from video on demand. The Fire stick is excellent as is Sky OD. Programs load almost instantly in HD (720p / 1080i) and there is no pausing. Previously downloading videos was not practical.
 Fibre Optic - Falkirk Bairn
A son lives about 500yds from the exchange - 6 mbps which was acceptable as it did most of what he wanted.

Fibre in his street 12 months ago - he has NOT upgraded to fibre - he is getting 16mbps!

Happy days - more than 2 x the speed and no extra cost
 Fibre Optic - Stuartli
I switched to fibre broadband last November on the 38Mb level from ADSL2+, which had averaged around 13 to 14Mb.

Consistently get the full 38Mb and have even substantially bettered that on a number of occasions, based on regular speed tests. I did the latter because at times the speed would drop quite dramatically and if I needed to tackle my ISP about it, I would have had the evidence. The cabinet is only a couple of hundred yards from where I live.

In general use there's actually little difference to notice unless, of course, big files are being downloaded. However, the additional bandwidth does prove beneficial.
 Fibre Optic - Dog
I live in a remote isolated area of Cornwall, one mile from the cabinet, two miles from the exchange.

On ADSL2+ I get 7.50Mbps down and 0.9 up which I'm more than happy with. Fibre is available here amazingly enuff, but I neither want nor need it.
 Fibre Optic - movilogo
I have BT Infinity. I get appx 20-30 MBps. In my old Sky broadband I used to get 4 MBps.

So, yes, difference is noticeable especially for video streaming.

>> I have BT Infinity. I get appx 20-30 MBps. In my old Sky broadband I
>> used to get 4 MBps.
>>
>> So, yes, difference is noticeable especially for video streaming.
>>
>>
>>
Good to hear because Mrs O'Reliant keeps trying to watch various dramas on iplayer on the TV and I keep getting earache when it freezes because it is so slow.
 Fibre Optic - Dog
>>Mrs O'Reliant keeps trying to watch various dramas on iplayer on the TV and I keep getting earache when it freezes because it is so slow.

I had that problem for years when I woz wiv PlusNet and could never watch Noughts HD choo choos.

I switched to a decent ISP (Xilo) bought my own cheap router, and all is now tickety boo.
Latest Forum Posts