Computer Related > MP3Tag and WMP Miscellaneous
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 21

MP3Tag and WMP - No FM2R
I use MP3Tag to complete all the tags on my music.

I also use Windows Media Player which will organise and rename the files according to the tags.

It will organise everything by Album Artist, Album and track title. Irrespective of what the file was called before, what directory it was in. It gets renamed and moved.

If I copy a bunch of MP3s from somewhere, set their tags correctly, because most people don't. And then just leave it there, WMP will at some point grab it, rename it, create the appropriate directory structure if it does not exist and move it.

Fantastically useful but I really dislike WMP.

Is there another product which would rename and move the file into a directory structure according to its tags? It doesn't have to be a media player, it might just be a tool to do that.

I have searched, but I didn't get anywhere. I feel I am missing something obvious.
 MP3Tag and WMP - smokie
If you specify Keep iTunes media folder Organised, then iTunes stores mp3s in a separate Directory for each Album Artist (not Artist), then underneath that a directory for each album with all of the tracks under it. It does rename the file to . It takes info for all this from the mp3 tags,and I too am careful to correct these and use Tag and Rename to do it. The help text says it also uses disc number in the file name but this is only when there is more than 1 disc.

If you have the option checked then any new files added will be put into that structure.

If you have let iTunes roam your computer finding your mp3s then you can select the whole list and Consolidate library, which will copy (not move) the files to the desired location.
You cam consolidate music into this structure if it is not already.
 MP3Tag and WMP - Zero
>> If you specify Keep iTunes media folder Organised, then iTunes stores mp3s in a separate

I wish I had been evil and vindictive enough to tell him to use iTunes.
 MP3Tag and WMP - Zero
Have you tried media monkey? it has a few file management add ons as well.
 MP3Tag and WMP - No FM2R
With all due respect, iTunes? That may be the only product int he universe that irritates me more than Windows Media Player.

I haven't tried Media Monkey, although I am now downloading it. I suspect from reading the website that the functionality I need will be in the Gold version.
 MP3Tag and WMP - smokie
LOL I use iTunes, always have done - I've tried others but always gone back to it. What did you find wrong with it?
 MP3Tag and WMP - No FM2R
>>What did you find wrong with it?

It is too controlling.
It sucks up the system resources
It doesn't (or at least didn't used to) cope with all the different formats
It has Apple's overall approach of telling me how to do things

And finally it doesn't cope well with my music collection; which, and I've just this moment checked, is 51,866 files in 3,051 folders occupying 390GB.
 MP3Tag and WMP - Kevin
> 51,866 files in 3,051 folders occupying 390GB.

Good Glub,

I never knew that Right Said Fred had recorded so many tracks.
 MP3Tag and WMP - Zero
>> > 51,866 files in 3,051 folders occupying 390GB.
>>
>> Good Glub,
>>
>> I never knew that Right Said Fred had recorded so many tracks.

He's got Abba on there as well, the 12 inch Dancing Queen is a fair few mb.
 MP3Tag and WMP - No FM2R
I do have Abba. I really like Abba. I saw Abba the Movie when it came out a squidrillion years ago, and I've seen Mama Mia live (twice) and the film (lots).

How can you not like Abba?
 MP3Tag and WMP - Zero

>> How can you not like Abba?

>> Mama Mia live (twice) and the
>> film (lots)

The film alone is lots of good reasons why.
 MP3Tag and WMP - No FM2R
Well, it wasn't as good as the stage show, which I enjoyed very much, but it is still fine Sunday afternoon viewing.

Are you honestly saying that you do not now, and didn't back then, like Abba?

MP3Tag and WMP - Zero

>> Are you honestly saying that you do not now, and didn't back then, like Abba?

I do not, and I didn't. Honestly. I honestly can't see how any bloke can. Its bubblegum music.
 MP3Tag and WMP - No FM2R
>> I honestly can't see how any bloke can

Well, I do. Its not "sit down and listen to an album in silence" music, but I do enjoy it when it comes on.
 MP3Tag and WMP - spamcan61
>> >>What did you find wrong with it?
>>
>> It is too controlling.
>> It sucks up the system resources
>> It doesn't (or at least didn't used to) cope with all the different formats
>> It has Apple's overall approach of telling me how to do things
>>
+ PITA trying to have 2 different music collections on 2 different iDevices managed by iTunes on a laptop.
 MP3Tag and WMP - smokie
I'm not disagreeing but:

- I'm not sure how it is controlling, your initial request was for a product which will control certain aspects wasn't it?
- I don't see it sucking up significant resource - it used to but things have improved dramatically since maybe v10
- It probably still doesn't cope with the different formats but I'm happy with that, I prefer to have a standard anyway (and at my level of deafness, and that of most people, it is near impossible to tell the difference between lossless and high quality mp3)
- I don't get your last point, but it's not important.

My library is significantly larger than yours. iTunes used to be incredibly slow loading and manipulating and there was a time I was tempted to look for an alternative but is now much much better.

I suppose I am used to it, I know it's limitations and how to manipulate it. There are bound to be better products out there but for me, iTunes will do.
 MP3Tag and WMP - No FM2R
Re: Smokie's various points....

It may very well have improved, I guess its been 4 years since I last used it. But to be honest it irritated me soo much before, and it seemed to me at the time so difficult to extricate everything, that I am loath to go back.
 MP3Tag and WMP - No FM2R
>>My library is significantly larger than yours

I'm impressed, because I am struggling to make good use of mine, hence looking at other software.

Unfortunately it seems that these days there are so many good radio stations around, that opportunities to sit and listen to albums of a single artist / group / composer / etc. are becoming fewer and farther between.

I think I'm about to split it up into stuff I want to keep but really don't listen to much, and stuff I like to listen to often. We shall see if that helps.
 MP3Tag and WMP - spamcan61
>> Have you tried media monkey? it has a few file management add ons as well.
>>
+1
 MP3Tag and WMP - Bobby
Many moons ago I got great advice in here re iTunes and making sure I had my settings set so that, in effect iTunes read my files rather than copying them all.

SO I have about 50GB of music in my music folder and every time I get something new, I set all the bog standard "file details" to include album, artists, year etc, put into my music and then import the folder into iTunes.

Bit long process but realistically I am not actually adding too much music to my collection nowadays. The only annoying factor of doing this is when you get to compilation albums or albums like Les Mis film where every song has a different artist / contributing artist so in iTunes they can appear all over the place!

Have also now mastered the art of doing my own ringtones via iTunes - looked to be a pain in the backside but was very straight forward and quick process especially if you are doing a few at a time!
 MP3Tag and WMP - smokie
For compilations I set the Album Artist to Various Artists which then groups the album properly but allows search of artist (note that's ALBUM artists, not artist).
 MP3Tag and WMP - No FM2R
>>I set the Album Artist to Various Artists

I do exactly the same.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 18 May 15 at 23:33
Latest Forum Posts