Computer Related > Mozillla Firefox Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 12

Mozillla Firefox - Ambo
This has features that are improvements over IE but two that are missing.

-If I click a link to another site, for example from a postings on this site, then click the X button to reurn to this site, I get the message "You are about to close two tabs. Are you sure you want to continue?" The Back button being inoperable at this point, closing takes me back to having to reopen Firefox and logging in again.

-There is no spellchecker for entering texts.

Suggestions for remedies gratefully received.
 Mozillla Firefox - smokie
Spellcheck support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-do-i-use-firefox-spell-checker#w_disabling-automatic-spell-checking

Note:
Automatic spell-checking is only turned on for text boxes containing more than one line, where you can enter as much text as you want.
 Mozillla Firefox - John Boy
I'm using Firefox and it has neither of those shortcomings. I'm using Version 38.0.1.

This page tells you about the spellchecker:

support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-do-i-use-firefox-spell-checker
 Mozillla Firefox - No FM2R
>>-If I click a link to another site, for example from a postings on this site, then click the X button to reurn to this site, I get the message "You are about to close two tabs. Are you sure you want to continue?" The Back button being inoperable at this point, closing takes me back to having to reopen Firefox and logging in again.

You are opening the link in a new tab. It will be the first address visited in that tab, so there is nowhere to go "back" to.

You are clicking on the "wrong" X to close the tab, and are clicking on the X which closes the browser. Instead of looking in the top right of the browser for a red X, look a bit further down and towards the left for a black X near the heading of the tab you are in.

I use automatic spell check all the time and it works just fine.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 27 May 15 at 12:24
 Mozillla Firefox - Ambo
>>I use automatic spell check all the time and it works just fine.

Did you have to do anything to in stalll it or did it come up automatically?

I will try yopur other suggestion.
 Mozillla Firefox - smokie
Ambo - see the link I put above for how to activate
 Mozillla Firefox - Stuartli
In Firefox>Tools>Options>Advanced tab>General tab, you'll find the Check My Spelling feature.

If you install the British English Dictionary 1.19.6 extension, you can right click on a multi-line text area, select Languages and then English/United Kingdom.

The dictionary extension can be downloads from:

addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/british-english-dictionary-/

All this might well have been already stated earlier in the thread...:-)

Firefox now installs the dictionary in an add-ons Dictionaries folder.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Wed 27 May 15 at 15:13
 Mozillla Firefox - Ambo
Smokie; I found that the "Check my spelling as I type" box had already been ticked and spellcheck now works, thanks.

Stuartli. I downloaded the extension and completed the rest.

No FMR. There is no black X on the screen but the back button now works, maybe as a result of the other operations.

Thanks to all.
 Mozillla Firefox - Ambo
I posted to the effect that I had found the black arrow and "Should have gone to SpecSavers". Can't think where the posting went.
 Mozillla Firefox - Pat
You certainly did Ambo, I read it but can't find it now.

Pat
 Mozillla Firefox - No FM2R
>>the black arrow

Arrow? Do you mean the X?

Assuming so, glad you got it all sorted.
 Mozillla Firefox - Ambo
Yes, I meant X
 Mozillla Firefox - Stuartli
>>I posted to the effect that I had found the black arrow and "Should have gone to SpecSavers". >>

I think you mean the small x in each tab at the top of the screen; clicking on it closes that particular tab. The + sign allows you to open a new tab alongside those already open.
Latest Forum Posts