Computer Related > Windows 10 Upgrade Computing Issues
Thread Author: Stuartli Replies: 21

Windows 10 Upgrade - Stuartli
Just received formal notice from Microsoft about the free upgrade to Windows 10, the opportunity to reserve it, download it and, if I wish, to Install it...:-)

Some thought needed, me thinks.....
 Windows 10 Upgrade - sajid
same here, am in two minds about the upgrade, as the only benefit i can see that it has direct x12, the disadvantages are that some legacy hardware may not have upgraded drivers for them.

i reserved it but i just wait what people will say for those who have installed it.
 Windows 10 Upgrade - Pat
Me too...and I followed the same steps as you Sajid:)

Pat
Yes, I reserved it as well. Since writing the original comment, been discussing it with a professional IT consultant who seems quite relaxed about installing Windows10 from the end of July..:-)

Bit more info (plenty on the Net now):

tinyurl.com/nlpquxy

Last edited by: Stuartli on Mon 1 Jun 15 at 17:58
 Windows 10 Upgrade - Falkirk Bairn
The old maxim is never install a new version of Windows until SP1 appears!

Better late than sorry.
 Windows 10 Upgrade - No FM2R
It looks good, but this new approach to versions and updates needs thinking about. The actual operating system looks great, but I think people are missing that this represents a fundamental soft in how Microsoft is going to manage its userbase and generate revenue.

Microsoft has had, and still has, huge issues shifting people off old versions of Windows.

Seemingly there are now going to move away from new versions of Windows, but instead will upgrade via updates, gradually replacing everything over time.

To state the obvious;

Some people don't leave old versions of Windows because they don;t want to. They will lose that option, although it probably won't be particular notice since it'll be gradual change.

BUT, some people stay with old versions of Windows because their hardware won't support the demands of the new one. Well Microsoft can now drive you off that computer by gradually and consistently increasing the demands of Windows.

And you won't be able to stop it unless you disable updates with all the work and implications that involves.

And since Windows is supported for the life of your existing device, when you buy a new one then someone is going to be paying Microsoft for a new copy - be that you or the PC manufacturer.

If you replace your computer every two or three years, probably not an issue. But otherwise......

It will also allow Microsoft to build a defence against the opposition; if they can copy every idea anybody else has in their operating system by updating just that bit in Windows, then future competition will challenged.
 Windows 10 Upgrade - rtj70
I particularly disliked Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012. For a keyboard/mouse interface the two ides of the user interface was wrong. You could get used to it I guess but I'd rather not.

Put someone in front of a Windows Server 2012 desktop and they would struggle to find the applications, shutdown, etc. The 'fixes' for Windows 8 and 8.1 aren't generally going to be acceptable for a server.

I didn't particularly like Windows 7 on my home desktop or work laptop either. I think the low resolution of both (1280x1024 and 1366x768) was a factor. My new monitor has made both a lot better! 2560x1440. New work laptop ordered too (Core i7 with 16GB RAM).
 Windows 10 Upgrade - Duncan
I have had the offer of Windows 10 on my PC, but not on my laptop. Should I be worried?
 Windows 10 Upgrade - Zero
>> I have had the offer of Windows 10 on my PC, but not on my
>> laptop. Should I be worried?

Just been busily firing up the windows 8 laptop. How do you get notified?
 Windows 10 Upgrade - Slidingpillar
Not had a notification on the Windows 8.1 laptop, but I'd expect them not to do all customers at once. However, said lappy runs Classic shell to make it usable, so I'd not be too suprised if intentionally or not, I didn't get an invite.

Added - look for the windows logo in the system tray (right hand icons) click on it, I'm about to!
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Tue 2 Jun 15 at 09:19
 Windows 10 Upgrade - Bromptonaut
>> Added - look for the windows logo in the system tray (right hand icons) click
>> on it, I'm about to!

That's what I got yesterday on my W7 laptop.

I'm already zipping between XP and 7 pro at work; CAB are updating. Some of the 7 machines seem to have a windows 'classic' view installed - probably user action as we don't have profiles that follow us round.

Not sure I want a fourth different interface to deal with.
 Windows 10 Upgrade - smokie
Zero - see the bottom of Stuart's link to find how to get notified (re KnowledgeBase article)
You should get notified when updates "KB3035583" and “KB2952664” make it to your system.

Obviously you therefore need Windows Update turned on and to be up-to-date.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 2 Jun 15 at 10:23
 Windows 10 Upgrade - Robin O'Reliant
I've registered and eagerly await the 29th July.

I don't need W10, it will probably screw my PC up and need a complete re-install, but I'm a sucker for anything new and shiny...
 Windows 10 Upgrade - ....
>> Just been busily firing up the windows 8 laptop. How do you get notified?
>>
Windows logo appears in the icons wherever you have your taskbar.

After reading the info., it appears you have up to 12 months after launch to upgrade for free. I have Windows 7 Ultimate which gets me Win10 Pro. Wonder what will be missing ?

Think I'll let the early adopters run with this one.
It'll be a pain to download because everybody will be doing it at the same time, it'll be full of bugs, and it may well screw things up.

Clearly the most sensible thing is to leave it for 6 months.

But like R O'R says, its new and shiny.......... Maybe I'll just have a little go......
If there is anything badly wrong, it'll show up quite fast. I've 'reserved' the upgrade, but I'd be surprised if problems take more than a week to show up.

In any event, I'll need to take an inventory of my applications as it's very likely I'll have to reinstall the lot. So I'll give it about 10 days and probably start then. (From downloading Windows 8.1 to a happy stable environment took me about a week - another PC to refer to is a great help).
 Windows 10 Upgrade - Zero
>> If there is anything badly wrong, it'll show up quite fast. I've 'reserved' the upgrade,
>> but I'd be surprised if problems take more than a week to show up.

fixes take considerably longer......

>> In any event, I'll need to take an inventory of my applications as it's very
>> likely I'll have to reinstall the lot. So I'll give it about 10 days and
>> probably start then. (From downloading Windows 8.1 to a happy stable environment took me about
>> a week - another PC to refer to is a great help).

I have a toy machine that I keep up to date with MS on that. I'll bung it on there.
fixes take considerably longer......

Would not dispute that, but unless it contains a time bomb, if it needs fixes should be noted quite quickly and you can then take a decision to wait if needed.
>>Think I'll let the early adopters run with this one.>>

Gonna let the laptop take the strain first. If no BSOD etc will then fire up the desktop...:-)
 Windows 10 Upgrade - neiltoo
For those who want to remove the reminder, and a little background:

wattsupwiththat.com/2015/06/03/damn-you-microsoft-how-to-remove-the-windows-10-free-upgrade-icon/

Neil
 Windows 10 Upgrade - Robin O'Reliant
>>>>
>> Gonna let the laptop take the strain first. If no BSOD etc will then fire
>> up the desktop...:-)
>>

That's what I'll do. The desktop is my main work machine so I'll make sure it runs on the laptop first.
Latest Forum Posts