Computer Related > Kindle Version 4.1.2. Connectivity Problem Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 30

Kindle Version 4.1.2. Connectivity Problem - Ambo

I have used this for about three years without difficulty. It now tells me that it is not connected to my network, BT hub (with a very strong signal), so I can’t download from Amazon and Gutenburg. The networks list had “forget” against it. Clicking on this I get “Connect” with a padlock symbol but clicking this I get an instruction to “Enter Wif-Fi password’. I am certain I never had one and this is confirmed by the ”Set Password” page, which shows there isn’t one. Rescan on the connection page makes no difference. I can’t find anything on Amazon to help.

Oddly, the hub still streams to the TV in the next room. It has no reset button. I reset it by switching off and on and again no difference.

Maybe it is a server problem but BT switched me to an Indian call centre and I could make no sense of what was said through the respondent’s accent.

Can anyone suggest a solution please?

Kindle Version 4.1.2. Connectivity Problem - Zero

>> Can anyone suggest a solution please?

The padlock means you are trying to connect to a password protected wifi, and you need the password.

What hub do you have?
BTHub5-JH5F. The password was not connected before this happened and there was no problem.
Well thats a BT home Hub 5 with ssid jh5f* And it does have a password, the password is on the little plastic card in the slot on the back of the hub

*assuming thats your hub, it could be the one next door! your problem could be that someone has a new router and you are trying to connect to that
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 2 Jun 15 at 13:27
 Kindle Version 4.1.2. Connectivity Problem - No FM2R
Go to the set WiFi password and set one - you may find it asks for a password which could be "spaces" or something, so you may need to reset the router.. Then remove it. Then try again.

(Although you should keep a password on your WiFi router, even if its not a very good one its better than nothing).
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 2 Jun 15 at 13:05
 Kindle Version 4.1.2. Connectivity Problem - commerdriver
if you are on a recent BT hub, there is almost certainly a small card / sticker with the pre set password for that router on the back of the router, if so, try entering that as the password

edit, as Z posted 2 minutes ago while I was typing this
Last edited by: commerdriver on Tue 2 Jun 15 at 13:29
I had already tried this "Admin Password"
As Kindle says just "Password I presumed it meant one I had entered myself
>> As Kindle says just "Password I presumed it meant one I had entered myself
>>
>> >>>Clicking on this I get “Connect” with a padlock symbol but clicking this I get an instruction >>>>>to “Enter Wif-Fi password’

the wifi password is on the little plastic card on the back of the router. under the bit that says 2 enter your wireless password/key
It is not an admin password it is the access code all connected devices will need to connect to that router if you have accepted the security defaults on setup.
It says Admin Password on the cad. By the way, I can still read material previously downloaded, so it is odd I am not connected.
 Kindle Version 4.1.2. Connectivity Problem - devonite
Now nowt about Kindles, but could it be a Malware blockage? - I don't know whether you can get malware on a Kindle tho'? On a P.C it can cause similar probs!
>> Now nowt about Kindles, but could it be a Malware blockage? - I don't know
>> whether you can get malware on a Kindle tho'?

you can't, so its not.
 Kindle Version 4.1.2. Connectivity Problem - devonite
Well that's that not that then! - at least I learnt something else! ;-) so my post wasn't wasted!
>> It says Admin Password on the cad.

Tell us everything you have on the card in the back of your router

>> By the way, I can still read material
>> previously downloaded, so it is odd I am not connected.

Because its been previously download and is now stored on the kindle you have in your hand.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 2 Jun 15 at 14:57
BT Home Hub Settings
Wireless SSID:
BTHub5-JH5F
Wireless Key:

And to the right

A thing suppose is for visual scanning
Admin Password:
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 2 Jun 15 at 17:07
the wireless key is what it is looking for as a "password" to make the connection
Now that you have put it in a public place I would change it if you are findable to nasty people via the internet or otherwise
 Kindle Version 4.1.2. Connectivity Problem - Stuartli
Deleted comment..!
Last edited by: Stuartli on Tue 2 Jun 15 at 16:16
>>the wireless key is what it is looking for as a "password" to make the connection
Now that you have put it in a public place I would change it if you are findable to nasty people via the internet or otherwise

-Still doesn't work

-How do I delete it?
1) Kindle wirelessly connected to router.

Most of your data is on there and as such access to the internet is irrelevant. It only needs access to the internet if you want to look at something or download something you don't have.

If you want it to connect to the WiFi, then your router will want a password;

WiFi Name: BTHub5-JH5F
WiFi P/W: c6bc9a25da

2) Router connected to internet

If you wish to access the router, then you will need the router password. You will also need to know the router address, just look at IPCONFIG.

Username: Admin (It doesn't necc. ask)
Password: HA9KJ7AJ (Unless you changed it)

Your Kindle is asking for the WiFi Password or "Wireless Key". To change that Password or Key, you will need to acccess your router (2) and change the settings there. Usually under Wireless Security".

>> Your Kindle is asking for the WiFi Password or "Wireless Key". To change that Password
>> or Key, you will need to acccess your router (2) and change the settings there.
>> Usually under Wireless Security".

You don't go changing settings on the BT home hub. He just needs to put the wireless key that is already on the home hub, into the kindle.
>>put the wireless key that is already on the home hub, into the kindle.

Sounds promising but how?

(Many thanks to the Moderator for removing key details from my earlier posting. )
what version of kindle do you have?
This'd be a starting point, can you back to that point?....

"The networks list had “forget” against it. Clicking on this I get “Connect” with a padlock symbol but clicking this I get an instruction to “Enter Wif-Fi password’."
>>what version of kindle do you have?

Version 4.1.2
>>can you back to that point?

I'm not sure what you mean. With no password I can't get any further.
Password and key are the same thing. If you are at the point where it is asking for a key or a password, because you canbot get further, then can you not type it in?
Ok lets try this again.

What type of kindle do you have.

Original? touch? paperwhite?
I don't believe it. It has just this minute worked without further intervention, after several days.

Very many thanks for the time you have all taken over this, and apologies for taking it up.
>> I don't believe it. It has just this minute worked without further intervention, after several
>> days.
>>
>> Very many thanks for the time you have all taken over this, and apologies for
>> taking it up.

If mark had any hair left, I would fly over there and tear it out
Like you could reach that high.
Latest Forum Posts