Computer Related > Amazon Fire Stick Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 12

Amazon Fire Stick - Bobby
Anyone got one of these?
I am hearing that they are very good and customisable for downloading apps that allow lots more availability of channels to stream including sports?

Anyone got one, any good, what do you use it for?
 Amazon Fire Stick - Zero
The Roku stick is best, the chromecast is more flexible that the amazon one.
 Amazon Fire Stick - Stuartli
I have a NowTV box and use the Entertainment Pass (great value for money) - I also linked it to the Plex Media Server app about six months ago.

See links for guidance:

blog.eugenesia.co.uk/2014/12/add-plex-to-now-tv-smart-tv-box-and-stream-movies-from-laptop/

www.engadget.com/2014/04/08/sky-now-tv-plex/

digiex.net/guides-reviews/guides-tutorials/media-guides/13101-step-step-guide-installing-plex-nowtv-box.html

Amazon Fire Stick - rtj70
Or get a Windows PC HDMI stick. More costly but more flexible.
Bought the stick for £35 and installed Kodi app on it. Then installed something called wookie and now I have a huge abundance of streamed channels available at my fingertips including all the sports!

And if I was a film buff I am sure it would be of interest to me the long list of very modern films also available!!
 Amazon Fire Stick - Ambo
What about very old films and foreign ones? We use Amazon Lovefilm a lot for these and I imagine the Amazon stick would give access to all of these via Prime.

We also need subtitles. A drawback of Netflix is that it gives them for American material but not British.

Another drawback for Apple TV/Netflix is that the the picture is dim, compared with normal TV broadcasts. Has anyone else had this problem? I can of course alter the lighting settings but don't want to do this every time I switch between Apple and TV.
 Amazon Fire Stick - Crankcase
>> We use Amazon Lovefilm a lot for these and I imagine the Amazon stick would give access to all of these via Prime.

If you mean you use (what was called) Lovefilm DVD rental, then we do too. We also have Amazon Prime streaming. The DVD catalogue available is MUCH larger than Prime streaming. For any given title, especially older or foreign ones, it's nearly always available on DVD for rental but almost never on Prime streaming (or indeed on Netflix, UK or US either).

As to your other points, I also have Netflix - but actually mostly watch the US version and nearly always with subtitles turned on, which are present on everything I've watched, as you say. I don't think when watching from the UK version I've turned on subtitles anyway.

And I also have AppleTV and not had the issue you describe with brightness.

Amazon Fire Stick - Stuartli
Amazon took over full ownership of Lovefilm in early 2011, but took three years to incorporate it into Prime.
 Amazon Fire Stick - Ambo
Many thanks for these comments, Crankcase, which have saved me from buying the device or signing up to Prime.

Apart from the stick there is also the confusingly-named Amazon Fire TV. This has voice support and and twice the memory but costs £79.
 Amazon Fire Stick - movilogo
I have Fire stick and it is wonderful (especially at such low cost).

It converted my dumb TV in to a smart TV.

It is an Android device although you can only install apps from Amazon's own fire TV store.

Just make sure you have good internet speed (8 Mbps is minimum I guess).

movilogo - you can install other apps as well, that's what I have done.
 Amazon Fire Stick - movilogo
You mean any APK file can be installed? How?

I don't see much benefit unless it was designed to interact with Fire TV remote.

Yes - install APK through laptop that sends to fire stick - very easy - if you want to know exact method I can check when I get home?
Latest Forum Posts