Computer Related > Hard-drive brands Computing Issues
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 19

Hard-drive brands - Rudedog
My son is after an external hard-drive for use with his x-box one, we have got the choice down to two, both 5TB, one from Seagate the other Western Digital.

Is one better than the other?
 Hard-drive brands - Zero
>> My son is after an external hard-drive for use with his x-box one, we have
>> got the choice down to two, both 5TB, one from Seagate the other Western Digital.
>>
>> Is one better than the other?

nope.

I just avoid HDS drives.
 Hard-drive brands - No FM2R
HDS?
 Hard-drive brands - Zero
>> HDS?

Sorry lost the plot, been out the corporate IT game too long.

I meant HGST. Who I now see are a Western Digital Company. So thats a change to my original advice, Go Seagate.
 Hard-drive brands - smokie
That'll because of the issues they had prior to Hitachi buying them from IBM will it? If not, what's up with HGST/WD?
 Hard-drive brands - Zero
>> That'll because of the issues they had prior to Hitachi buying them from IBM will
>> it? If not, what's up with HGST/WD?

All advice is based on past experience is it not?
Well yeah but that issue was about 10 years ago was it not? :-)
 Hard-drive brands - Zero
Whatever
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 27 Jul 15 at 12:31
I expect in-the-know people will have an opinion but in my experience mostly they are based on anecdotal or aged knowledge.

I have two identical USB3 5Tb Seagates which I use for backups (i.e. infrequently), had them less than a year and they're still working...
Thanks for that - the Seagate is the one he favoured, I've bought WD in the past so thought I'd look at them as well (both are the same price).
 Hard-drive brands - Stuartli
Either, as stated, will be fine. I've had both over a (great) number of years and each has been very reliable. More than you could say for IBM hard drives before it gave up producing them.....

By the way, Seagate have the free DiscWizard utility on its website, which is a lite version of Acronis True:

www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/internal-hard-drives/desktop-hard-drives/barracuda-xt/discwizard-master-dl/
Last edited by: Stuartli on Mon 27 Jul 15 at 00:05
 Hard-drive brands - devonite
this site ("Extremetech") may help you make an informed decision,

www.extremetech.com/extreme/175089-who-makes-the-most-reliable-hard-drives

Seagates seem to look fairly average.
Last edited by: devonite on Mon 27 Jul 15 at 15:03
 Hard-drive brands - Zero
>> this site ("Extremetech") may help you make an informed decision,
>>
>> www.extremetech.com/extreme/175089-who-makes-the-most-reliable-hard-drives
>>
>> Seagates seem to look fairly average.

Sorry any article that states

"Every time a drive fails, it takes considerable time and effort to pull the drive, slot in a new one, and rebuild the RAID array.

Is talking M****. Its the work of about 5 seconds, and the raid array rebuilds itself while still working. Thats why its called RAID
Average is fine by me.. looks like I'm going for the Seagate at £129 delivered.
 Hard-drive brands - Focusless
>> Seagate at £129 delivered.

Save a tenner?
www.ebuyer.com/store/Storage/cat/Hard-Drive---External/5TB

(apologies if different model)
Save another tenner, Argos

www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2465629.htm
And another tenner (£99.99 with free delivery) but it's a Tosh

Dabs

tinyurl.com/nwvujo2

Plus 4% Quidco...
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 27 Jul 15 at 23:25
 Hard-drive brands - MD
Toshiba. The last one that we bought probably 4 years ago is silent and works just fine. Put Storage Crypt on it and the Feds will never get in. Or so I am told.
 Hard-drive brands - ....
I suppose they're like cars, you get good and bad of the same brand.

I've never had a problem with WD drives but their NICs are rubbish with a 50% failure rate for me, again could have just been a lemon in the batch. I've got a 2TB Seagate USB3 drive plugged into the router for movies and such stuff on the network. Works quietly enough.

Now there's a thing, anyone tried plugging an SSD into the router and using one of those through a USB adapter?

How does the old saying go ? There are those who have experienced hard drive failure and those who will experience it.
Last edited by: gmac on Fri 7 Aug 15 at 21:47
 Hard-drive brands - VxFan
The two Maxtor hard drives in my old Windows XP machine are still working. The original 200 Gb one is over 12 years old, and the 300 GB slave one is over 11 years old.

*Maxtor were taken over by Seagate in 2006. No idea if the build quality is still up to much since changing hands.
Latest Forum Posts