Computer Related > Windows 10 - Volume 1   [Read only] Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 117

Windows 10 - Volume 1 - smokie

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 2 *****

==========================================================

I signed up for the free Windows 10 and I think it has started to download - it is due tomorrow. I use IObit Malware Fighter and today it found malware in $Windows/~BT on my C drive, and on investigation that appears to be Windows software which was downloaded today.

Anyone else who has signed up for Windows 10 seeing this folder, as new? I'm basing that on the creation date of some of the sub folders for instance Drivers.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 7 Aug 15 at 10:20

Windows 10 - Zero
Its due to be released on the 30th. I'll fire up the test windows 8 machine and see whats happening, I would be very wary of installing it however, it is reported to be more bug ridden than an ants nest. Its also the first time MS has released an OS as an on air update, this has disaster written all over it.

Windows 10 - Slidingpillar
Sony have said, don't install it until we've made all the drivers etc available (my laptop is a Sony).

I was going to leave it 10 days, for the basic problems to show, but I suspect I'll be leaving it a bit longer.

Windows 10 - Zero
ten days is not long enough.

ten days is not long enough.

If it was carrying a good reputation - 10 days ought to be enough. However the stories on the internet strongly suggest you are right. There ought be be plenty of tales from early adopters to read almost straight away.

Windows 10 - smokie
The library is currently around 6 Gb and growing. So if you're wondering where your spare space on C drive is going, that'll be it!!

Windows 10 - Falkirk Bairn
The maxim used to be - Wait for SP1 before installing a Windows Upgrade..........might be 6-12 months

Windows 10 - Zero
There will be no solid step changes like "SP1" Windows 10 is the first delivered over the air OS.

Windows 10 - Falkirk Bairn
Semantics

It will be called 10.1.xx

Windows 10 - No FM2R
>>It will be called 10.1.xx

Perhaps you are right, but that wasn't my understanding.

It will be Windows 10. There will be no single major releases, there will simply be individual updates.

For Home users the updates will be compulsory, although other users have some [not much] control.

It will simply be Windows 10 at somesuch date.

Windows 10 - spamcan61
>> The library is currently around 6 Gb and growing. So if you're wondering where your
>> spare space on C drive is going, that'll be it!!
>>

As it 'appens my test PC* (the only one that I'll let Win10 anywhere near) has just downloaded the Win10 invite (KB3035883), it claims the Win10 download is 3GB.

Given that Microsoft keep saying Win10 will be available from 29th July, it'll be interesting to see what happens to their servers as 50 million machines (or some very big number anyway) try and download the 3GB install file at the same time.

*currently dual boot Linux Mint 17 Mathe / Win7 Pro.

Given that Microsoft keep saying Win10 will be available from 29th July, it'll be interesting to see what happens to their servers as 50 million machines (or some very big number anyway) try and download the 3GB install file at the same time.

That's the easy one, you'll have it presented in such a way as to allow them to do a staggered release so they'll not have an unmanageable number of folk trying to download at once.

Windows 10 - VxFan
>> it'll be interesting to see what happens to their servers as 50 million machines (or some very big number anyway) try and download the 3GB install file at the same time.

MS will be rolling it out in waves, "slowly scaling up" the rollout as it sees how things are going.

www.theverge.com/2015/7/2/8883325/windows-10-will-roll-out-in-waves

edit, Slidingpillar beat me to it.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 28 Jul 15 at 10:34

Windows 10 - smokie
Well mine seems to have stopped downloading data and that library is now at 6.42 Gb, 3589 files. No idea why it is twice their expected size, maybe it already existed with something in it, but I don't think so.

I went into Manage Updates and put on the latest Windows 7 updates earlier, rebooted etc and made sure they were on. There was a failed update to Windows 10 from earlier, this could be because I blocked it in IOBit Malware Fighter (it saw something as malware) so I need to find out how to unblock before the update will happen.

So I've now just taken an image of my C drive so I can roll back to it if required and will let the Win 10 update happen when it wants to. Someone has to be first... :-)

Windows 10 - Observer
Sorry for appearing ignorant amongst all you computer-savvy folks, but I have signed up to receive Windows 10 on my laptop and if what's now being fed out is full of bugs, as some of you are saying, what's the point of delaying the installation? Won't the stuff that's sitting in the computer be as full of bugs in a few weeks' time as it is now?

Or am I missing something? Should I somehow prevent the download from happening now? If so, I've absolutely no idea how to.

Windows 10 - No FM2R
If you want to stop it, right click on the icon in the bottom right of your screen, click on "check upgrade status" and click on "cancel reservation".

Probably wise if you don't know what you're getting into. It will be free for at least a year, and there's no good reason to go now other than the standard "new and shiny and I'm a boy" approach.

Windows 10 - Observer
Thank you.

I have no reason to court problems and I'll cancel Windows 10. I've been quite happy with Windows 7 on the laptop and see no particular reason to move on.

The new PC I've ordered will have Windows 8.1 already installed and it looks as if I should hold off the Windows 10 upgrade on that too.

Windows 10 - No FM2R
p.s.

>>Won't the stuff that's sitting in the computer be as full of bugs in a few weeks' time as it is now?

Yes, but there will be automatic "fixes" and updates which will quickly, if not immediately, download and solve various problems.

However, if you're not going to upgrade now, then its better not to download now since future downloads will have the fixes within them. (probably)

Windows 10 - Observer
OK - got it.

I've cancelled my reservation on the laptop as per your advice.

Thanks again.

Windows 10 - No FM2R
An overview for the curious..

www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq?ocid=win10_auxapp_context

Windows 10 - Focusless
Generally downloads go into a folder for temporary files which you or the system can clear out. It's only when you execute the download to install whatever it is that 'permanent' stuff gets created.
Last edited by: Focusless on Tue 28 Jul 15 at 12:45

Windows 10 - spamcan61
>> Well mine seems to have stopped downloading data and that library is now at 6.42
>> Gb, 3589 files. No idea why it is twice their expected size, maybe it already
>> existed with something in it, but I don't think so.
>>
Maybe it's unzipping itself as it downloads?..but it seems too early for the Win10 rollout anyway.

Windows 10 - smokie
It's deffo Windows 10. Many files re dated 10 July. I found the Setup and am about to run it :-)

Will report back later...

Windows 10 - Zero
we'll never hear from him again

Windows 10 - sherlock47
'My UK social media machine' has been running windows 10 for about 6? months now. It has been pretty stable for all that time. Some updates have been slow when downloading a new Build. Requiring several reboots before it sorted itself out. Boot time now seems quicker than previous XP.

I will however leave my main machine (with the important stuff) several months before upgrading.

I will not go near wifes laptop - if anything bad happens it will be my fault as usual.

The question is whether I upgrade this machine in France?

All 3 desktop machines run dual monitors on a variety of different video cards - I just wonder if those drivers are going to be my major concern.

Windows 10 - smokie
I'd think that the manufacturers have had sight of Windows 10 for long enough to get a stable driver out by now...

I have dual monitors (dissimilar makes) on an nVidia GTX750 card. I'm going to try it out as soon as it lets me so I will update

Windows 10 - sherlock47
>>I just wonder if those drivers are going to be my major concern.<<<

Well I bit the bullet this morning as I was going to be out for 2-3 hours, and let the machine and microsoft do their own thing.

Everything loaded and ran fine apart from screwing up both monitor settings! Just reset the resolution settings in time for the cricket to start.

Played with Edge for a few minutes - looks good, but locked up twice on the bbc.com site.

Next stop cortana :)

Windows 10 - No FM2R
>>Next stop cortana :)

That's easier to start then stop.

Be aware if the potential implications in using a Microsoft Account to sign in, which you have to for Cortana to work. And it can be a bit fiddly getting rid of it all again.

I didn't like Cortana, I didn't like its insistence on using a Microsoft Account and I didn't like.....

Well, I didn't like it. And in any case I didn't think it was very usable or useful. Perhaps different on a phone.

Windows 10 - Zero

>> Well, I didn't like it. And in any case I didn't think it was very
>> usable or useful. Perhaps different on a phone.

Siri is crap, MS cant afford to be left behind in the crap voice features stakes.

Windows 10 - smokie
I had a go with Cortana and it was OK, will take some getting used to (if I decide to keep it). I already had an MS password so not yet seen any difficulty in having to use it. (I do think stuff has happened/is happening in the background which I'm less keen on, can't be specific yet though)

Annoyingly, I seem to have lost my Microsoft games folder and, more importantly, my history. I had a sequence of something like 260 Freecell game wins on the go, without cheating. No idea where that history is kept, probably an ini file somewhere, but while it is annoying it isn't life endangering... :-)

In fact it's probably more life threatening for me to re-find the games, as SWMBO says I spend way too long playing them anyway (mainly Freecell, Minesweeper - record time was somewhere about 120 seconds for the top level, Hearts )try to end the game with a score of 0 - fairly tricky) and just one flavour of Taipei, where just getting out is a bonus!

Windows 10 - Zero
www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology-science/technology/windows-10-microsoft-fans-furious-6163325

Windows 10 - smokie
Oh well, that's a couple of hours a day + that I'll get back I suppose... :-)

(Not really THAT bad, but some days felt like it!!!)

Windows 10 - smokie
Sooner than expected!!

Setup fails at startup - required file is missing - boot.wim.

I guess they are holding that back until they are ready...

Windows 10 - spamcan61
>> Sooner than expected!!
>>
>> Setup fails at startup - required file is missing - boot.wim.
>>
>> I guess they are holding that back until they are ready...
>>

Maybe there's a plan then to reduce server load by sneaking out some of the updates now, and then downloading boot.wim on the day.

Windows 10 - Robin O'Reliant
Mine has downloaded and is ready to install.

That's on the desktop and I'm not going to mess with that till I know it works properly. I have not had a notification on my laptop, how do I get it for that so I can try it?
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Wed 29 Jul 15 at 09:38

Windows 10 - smokie
Have you actually received a notification that your desktop is ready to install? Mine downloaded yesterday but still says I will receive a notification.

To get it - www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-10-upgrade

When I clicked on the icon it came up with the licence agreement and gave me the option to install now or schedule for later.

Windows 10 - Focusless
Nice overview from BBC:
www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-33637586

One final thought: just in case you try Windows 10 and do not like it, it is worth knowing there is a "rollback" option that works for the first 30 days.

Windows 10 - Dog
Yeah, looks good! .. I've not been notified that it's ready to install yet, but going by what I've read on this thread, I don't think I will be installing it just yet.

Windows 10 - Bromptonaut
Will try it but not until I'm back in UK in a fortnight's time.

Windows 10 - VxFan
>> Nice overview from BBC:
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-33637586

"The world's most used operating system has made it into double figures."

So did Windows 98 and XP.

I'm so tempted. I'm not sure if I can last the day.

Last the day? I didn't even last five minutes.

Everything seems to work ok anyway.

Windows 10 - Dog
I musta mist something then, because the Get Windows 10 icon is still sitting there looking at me :)

Windows 10 - smokie
Me too Dog - and I'm hot to trot!!

Windows 10 - Zero
nothing for me either.

Windows 10 - Roger.
Now running Windows 10!
It took well over an hour to download & install it - even with my fast fibre BB.
Be careful when finishing the set up after install - it asks one to use lots of Microsoft apps, as defaults, which SEND DATA TO MICROSOFT!
I turned 'em all off.

Windows 10 - Dog
>>It took well over an hour to download & install it - even with my fast fibre BB.

Well, that's put me right orf then, being my download speed is a whopping 5Mbps.

Windows 10 - Manatee
about 1.6Mbps here. I might have to take the desktop to my daughter's in Cambridge. I've reserved it so I hope there's a reasonable period to install it.

Doesn't the 'reserve' for free offer end tomorrow? Or did I misread that?

Windows 10 - Manatee

>> Doesn't the 'reserve' for free offer end tomorrow? Or did I misread that?

Yes I did misread it. 29 July 2016.

Windows 10 - No FM2R
>>Doesn't the 'reserve' for free offer end tomorrow? Or did I misread that?

you misread it. 2016, not 2015.

And it'll probably be extended from that.

Windows 10 - No FM2R
[snap]
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 29 Jul 15 at 14:07

Windows 10 - spamcan61
Ah well my test PC now has Win10 alongside Linux Mint, I let it install whilst I changed the oil on my Astra. Everything seems to work so far, at least I can drive it without resorting to RTFM, unlike Win8.

Windows 10 - Dog
>>I'm hot to trot!!

Like my puppy then, after I gave him a wormer at the weekend [OMG!!}

Windows 10 - No FM2R
Mine is now installing. Seems a strange time to start, but there you are.

Windows 10 - Dog
I've decided not to install it at the present time. I've followed your earlier advice: If you want to stop it, right click on the icon in the bottom right of your screen, click on "check upgrade status" and click on "cancel reservation" but I can't see the 'cancel reservation'.

Windows 10 - No FM2R
I haven't got a conputer to check right now Doug, but it does give you several opportunities not to install so don't stress.

Windows 10 - Dog
Cheers Mart, I wont chicken curry about it then.

Windows 10 - smokie
Hmmm I should have reviewed my update history. it failed a number of times with code 80240020. This apparently means my installation files are corrupt or incomplete.

The folder I referred to at the top of this thread no longer exists. Apparently the trick is to delete everything in c:)backslash)windows(backslash)softwaredistribution and let it re-download, so this is in progress but is awful slow.

Windows 10 - No FM2R
I think 80240020 can just mean the servers are bus . I had that yesterday but it seems to have gone away today.

Windows 10 - smokie
Oh... well it failed three times with the same code. I'll just have to be patient!! :-(

However nothing much seems to be happening...file size/count is no longer increasing - although that original folder has re-appeared.

Windows 10 - Zero
not even had any of the distribution files yet

Windows 10 - devonite
Mine has d/loaded and ready to install, so I followed the instructions to schedule it for later, - it only gave me 3 options , install now, tomorrow or Friday! - you don't appear to be able to cancel at that stage so it' looks like i'm being forced to upgrade on Friday @ 12.00, :-( if I turn the machine on!!

Windows 10 - Roger.
It's working OK for me so far.
Programs are now called "apps" - a horrid slovenly word. It does not seem possible to remove some MS bloat, such as OneDrive & MS Edge (The new browser).

Windows 10 - smokie
Since my last post the softwaredistribution library has increased by 1Gb and the $Windows - BT folder by over 4Gb. That is clocking up pretty fast so it looks like the download goes there then is sorted out into the softwaredistribution folder.

Windows 10 - Roger.
It seems that quite a few (ugh!) "apps" and features require me to sign in to a Microsoft account. I neither have, nor want, one of those, so a big black mark for that.

Windows 10 - No FM2R
So here I am on Windows 10.

At no time did it ask me for a Microsoft account. Perhaps it'll ask me for an MS account when I use new stuff.

It also asked me a couple of times if I wanted to proceed or cancel.

Everything seems to work. The only glitch is that I have a large screen which seems to have completely lost the resolution plot.

The choice of screen backgrounds is naff too.

Windows 10 - No FM2R
Things seem to be graduallly installing and foxfix themselves.

Clearly leaving it well alone for an hour or two while it downloads various drivers and updates would have been a good idea.

Windows 10 - Zero
>> It seems that quite a few (ugh!) "apps" and features require me to sign in
>> to a Microsoft account.

Windows 8 needed exactly the same. Its no big issue to open an MS account, nothing is going to happen to you.
 Windows 10 - devonite
Mine is 2094.5Mb, unfortunately I've noticed my Windows updates page now states "Windows needs to restart to begin the update" - so maybe even though scheduled for Friday it may install at next boot, I'll try it now.......see ya!

Windows 10 - Roger.
At least there is, for 30 days, the option to roll back to Windows 8.1 (in my case).

Windows 10 - devonite
Phew! - still on 7!

Windows 10 - Stuartli
>>At least there is, for 30 days, the option to roll back to Windows 8.1 (in my case).>>

You beat me to it..:-)

This might be prove useful:

www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-downgrade-windows-10-to-windows-7-8-3615606/
Last edited by: Stuartli on Thu 30 Jul 15 at 00:24

Windows 10 - No FM2R
Well I've been messing around with it for a few hours now and it seems just fine.

It was incompatible with one product (Fences) but I knew I was running an old version as I had declined their kind offer to upgrade to the paid version some time ago. So that had to be deleted.

It took a while to sort out some of the drivers, in particular the display drivers. It said the install was complete, which I guess technically it was, but various tasks were going on in the background. I added no value at all and all I needed to do was let it alone and reboot it when it was ready (about 45 minutes).

I have usually had Windows Search turned off because it annoys me. But as I haven't used it in years, I thought I'd give it a try again. The indexing process is taking its time and is beginning to irritate again, so we'll see how that goes.

I use both Windows 7 & 8.1 - this user interface is a combination of the two, and seems so far to combine the best of both. I haven't used it on a touchscreen though.

A few things are different, but nothing so obscure that it couldn't be worked out with a moments thought. When I couldn't find something, for example when I was looking for how to set "Default Programs", rather than hunt for it I just typed it into the Start Search Bar and up it popped. Rather good actually. Clearly that search bar will come into its own as I get used to it.

There's quite a lot of touches which look good and bode well.

All in all, no real issues (touch wood) and a nice operating system. I'm glad I installed it now. I certainly cannot imagine rolling back. It already feels more modern than 7 or 8.1
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 30 Jul 15 at 02:04

Windows 10 - Dog
Avez vous had a play with Cortana yet? .. I would like that, asking what is the weather forecast for St Awful
[as if I didn't know :(]

I like Edge. It's quicker than IE.

Windows 10 - No FM2R
It is quite nice.

But another thing that has irritated me now is how default programs are set.

In the case of internet browsers previously when one opened a browser it would perform a check to see if it was the default; if not it would then offer you the opportunity to make it so. (and also the option never to be asked again).

Well now that still happens, but if you're after switching the default away from Edge it doesn't work. It will say it has, but it hasn't.

You need to go into a separate program where default programs are stored and change it manually. Not difficult, but sneaky.

And thus annoying.

Windows 10 - No FM2R
>>Avez vous had a play with Cortana yet?

No, not yet.

Actually I suspect that I'm not going to like it, since I don't like similar on Apple or Android, however that's not the particular issue.

To enable Cortana you have to sign in with a Microsoft account, be that hotmail or whatever. Now that's not particularly an issue; I have one.

But it seems that Windows will then immediately assign the password for that Microsoft account to your computer, and apparently you will then need to type in that password to access your PC.

That's a bit of a showstopper, if I've understood it correctly.

I don't have a secure password to access this PC and the password is generally known by Tio Tom Cobley y todos who use this machine - and I'm not sharing my email passwords with that lot.

I guess I can create a new Microsoft account that I don't care about, but that's a pain, and then will no doubt mean the computer has a more complex password than I want it to.

And in any case, I'm now irritated. So I'm pondering.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 30 Jul 15 at 12:35

Windows 10 - Dog
I have an Outlook.Com email account so that's OK. I've got it set up in Windows Live Mail so I don't have to sign in to it every day. I have to sign in to this computer every morning, which is silly really as no one else uses it.
I'll get around to doing something about it ... one day :)

Not yet offered to me, but for those that have, a question.

Do I need to reinstall everything else when it's done, or will my other programs still be there?

I cannot remember for the life of me what Windows 8.1 did, and it's not a problem to reinstall, but obviously I'll need to make a list before upgradeing. If programs are kept, I'd best work out how to turn classic shell off first as two competing start menus is probably not the best of ideas...

Windows 10 - Zero
Programes should work fine when you migrate, you'll probably find your classic shell will be disabled when it upgrades.

Although for the life of me, I can't see why anyone would bother to upgrade if they have made win 8 look like 7.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 30 Jul 15 at 15:21

Ah, but I think MS aims for most of the support for 7, 8, and 8.1 to go quite quickly as users had the opportunity to 'upgrade'.

It looks like the simplest way of making sure Classic Shell doesn't run is just to uninstall it. I'll ponder.

Windows 10 - spamcan61
>> Ah, but I think MS aims for most of the support for 7, 8, and
>> 8.1 to go quite quickly as users had the opportunity to 'upgrade'.
>>
Win7 is supported until 2020, at least for security updates, I don't think Win8 is supported at all - 8.1 is after all 8.0 SP1 to all intents and purposes; not sure when 8.1 support stops.

Much of the corporate world has only just upgraded to Win7 (then there's those still on XP...), and will be in no hurry at all to burn money all over again upgrading.

Windows 10 - Roger.
>> Ah, but I think MS aims for most of the support for 7, 8, and
>> 8.1 to go quite quickly as users had the opportunity to 'upgrade'.
>>
>> It looks like the simplest way of making sure Classic Shell doesn't run is just
>> to uninstall it. I'll ponder.
My Classic Shell did not affect W10, but no longer needing it I uninstalled it after the upgrade had been tweaked to suit my requirements.
I have unpinned all tile from the start menu except the weather, the news and the card games.I've also got rid of the search toolbar on the task bar.
I would say that W10 is no quicker than a well fettled W8.1
I still won't use a MS browser as I prefer the intense customisation I can get with Firefox.

Windows 10 - spamcan61
>> Programes should work fine when you migrate, you'll probably find your classic shell will be
>> disabled when it upgrades.
>>
>> Although for the life of me, I can't see why anyone would bother to upgrade
>> if they have made win 8 look like 7.
>>

yeah everything seems to still work post upgrade; VLC, Chrome, Mediamokey etc. etc. Still dual boots OK for that matter.

No WOW moment for sure, I just thought I'd try it on one machine out of curiosity. Irritatingly the one household machine I would like Win10 on, an MSI netbook which runs like a one legged dog on Win7 Starter, hasn't had an invite yet, despite meeting the minimum spec.

Windows 10 - No FM2R
This will allow you to download Windows 10 either to directly install on your computer or to create a USB stick /DVD to install to one or more other machines.

www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Windows 10 - spamcan61
Cheers for that, I just need to work out whether I can do in in place upgrade from that or only a clean install.

I accidentally fell into the Windows account login trap, having to type a password for an account that I don't want associated with the PC is REALLY annoying!
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Thu 30 Jul 15 at 16:12

Windows 10 - No FM2R
You can absolutely do an upgrade from that, I just finished No. 1's.

Windows 10 - Zero
what license key did you use?

Windows 10 - No FM2R
The W7 Pro one already on her computer.

Windows 10 - Zero
Hm what I really want is the iso to do a clean install, not an upgrade. Always hated upgrades form a technical perspective.

Windows 10 - No FM2R
Apparently if you upgrade to W10, then that machine can then subsequently be clean installed.

A bit time consuming, and I haven't done it. But its apparently all done from the USB stick created by my previous link.

Windows 10 - smokie
A tip on that download, if you intend burning it to DVD.

Don't choose to have both the 32 and 64 bit versions at the same time as they don't both fit on one DVD!! (Obvious now, didn't cross my mind at the start. And maybe you can just be selctive about what you burn)

Windows 10 - spamcan61
I'm confused myself now, as I want to download the ISO using my 64bit machine, but the target machine for the upgrade is 32 bit. Think maybe I need to go find a 32bit machine to do the download on, to make life simpler.

Windows 10 - smokie
When you run the download you get options for which version of Windows (Home, Pro etc) and 32 or 64 bit.

Windows 10 - No FM2R
Zero...

>>what I really want is the iso to do a clean install

Its not what you were looking for, but this might help.

www.howtogeek.com/132428/everything-you-need-to-know-about-refreshing-and-resetting-your-windows-8-pc/

Windows 10 - No FM2R
From W7 to W10 absolutely everything worked with no input from me.

I'll let you know about W8.1 to W10 later today!

Windows 10 - VxFan
>> Not yet offered to me,

Nor me. Presumably I'll need to leave the PC on for a long period of time for anything to happen, or will it download more and more files every time the PC is on - like a torrent download?
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 31 Jul 15 at 01:19

Windows 10 - rtj70
Are you sure you have accepted the upgrade? If you click on the Window icon in the right hand side, does it say you're waiting (words to that effect).

Windows 10 - VxFan
>> Are you sure you have accepted the upgrade?

Yep. Obviously I'm low down on the pecking order. Not too fussed, I still haven't updated my iPad to iOS8.4 yet.

>> >> Not yet offered to me,
>>
>> Nor me. Presumably I'll need to leave the PC on for a long period of
>> time for anything to happen, or will it download more and more files every time
>> the PC is on - like a torrent download?
>>

Microsoft scan your computer first to make sure it is ready for 10. If they find lots of hardcore pornography on your drive they won't let you have it.
 Windows 10 - Dog
www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/594707/Windows-10-How-To-Skip-Queue-Wait-Force-Download-Free-Update-Now

Windows 10 - No FM2R
Cortana is a s*** thing on a s*** day having a really s*** moment. s*** s*** s***. Disabled. (which is a lot more obscure than enabling it).
 Windows 10 - No FM2R
Also check all privacy settings. Its a bit open-kimono, and I'm not even paranoid about this stuff.

Windows 10 - smokie
Finally got it up, within 5 minutes I was ready to roll back to Windows 7 but a little perseverance has paid off and I quite like it.

Lots to explore in it - it doesn't look radically different but I do like to understand what's going on under the bonnet.

I was surprised that all apps appear to be working OK so far, even some really old ones.

Windows 10 - No FM2R
You have probably signed in with a local account.

You may have decided to try signing in with a Microsoft Account. Perhaps you want to have a go with Cortana, maybe with the new Email program, or the news or whatever - all of which you have to give it your Microsoft Account details for.

It is very easy to change from signing in locally to signing in with your Microsoft account.

But then you might decide that you don't like it. All of a sudden it is trying to connect EVERYTHING together - email, calender, different accounts, forcing you to log in with your Microsoft account all over the place, your phone, syncing all your information to OneDrive, trying to sign you into Office 365, can't control Cortana properly etc. etc. etc.

So you decide you want to go back to using a local account. Well I defy you to find the option that says "Change to signing in with a Local Account".

And really, conspiracy theories to one side, it is trying to link and control everything. But there is *NO* option to disconnect your Microsoft Account.

So here's how....

Go to what passes for the start menu, click on your username and select "sign out".

Pull out your Ethernet cable / switch off the router, turn off the WiFi, whatever, just make sure the computer cannot get to the internet.

Sign in as usual, using your Microsoft Account password and it will go in as if everything is working.

And goodness me if it doesn't suddenly give you back the "Sign in with a Local Account" option.

Select that, and every thing returns to normal.

And don't do it again.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 31 Jul 15 at 00:23

Windows 10 - No FM2R
One difficulty with this upgrade is that everybody is doing it at the same time.

Consequently there is not an internet full of experience which you can google answers, instructions and clues from.

And sometimes the Microsoft how-to instructions are not very good - and in fact leave some issues dark - intentionally so, I think.

Windows 10 - smokie
Dave - check your Windows Update status Control Panel - Windows 10 consistently failed for me (I think, although I can see some misleading reporting in the log!!)

So I used the link Mark provided above and you can install it from there.

www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Last edited by: smokie on Fri 31 Jul 15 at 08:02

Windows 10 - VxFan
>> Dave - check your Windows Update status Control Panel

Cheers. I'll try taking a look tonight/weekend.

Windows 10 - VxFan
>> >> Dave - check your Windows Update status Control Panel
>>
>> Cheers. I'll try taking a look tonight/weekend.

Nothing except a couple of Win 8.1 updates.

Windows 10 - No FM2R
If you;re fussed, I'd just give the automatic upgrade a miss and go straight for the link I posted in here somewhere.

I've upgraded two machines directly from that link, two machines from a USB stick I made from that link and one machine actually managed to get triggered by the real update.

All much of a muchness.

Windows 10 - VxFan
Thanks Mark. It's been a busy weekend so not had much chance to look at it. I'm not too fussed at the moment, but seeing as most people have reported no or little problems, I'll have another look into it during the week.

Windows 10 - Stuartli
I initially did an ISO installation disc from a desktop download and burned several for friends and family. Wouldn't recognise my laptop's legitimate Product Key, so tried downloading the OS to a flash drive. Still wouldn't recognise the Product Key.

Eventually I downloaded direct to the laptop via the Windows 10 Media Installer and this time it all went without a hitch....

Windows 10 - spamcan61
>>
>> So you decide you want to go back to using a local account. Well I
>> defy you to find the option that says "Change to signing in with a Local
>> Account".
>>
>> And really, conspiracy theories to one side, it is trying to link and control everything.
>> But there is *NO* option to disconnect your Microsoft Account.
>>
>> So here's how....
>>

8< 8< 8< 8< 8< 8< 8< 8< 8< 8<
>> And don't do it again.
>>

Cheers for that; Crikey I'm not going there again. I tried Cortana on Spamcan Jumior's Lumia 630 a while back and the novelty of asking it rude questions soon wore off.

Windows 10 - Zero
>> Cortana is a s*** thing on a s*** day having a really s*** moment. s***
>> s*** s***. Disabled. (which is a lot more obscure than enabling it).

Go on, try and convince me you were expecting it to be anything other than s***sville?

Windows 10 - Zero
mine has gone completely quiet on me. The little windows icon on the right (the one that said "we'll let you know when its ready") has disappeared. Nothing to download in updates. Its almost as tho I have been checked out by the comiteee and black balled.

Windows 10 - Dog
Lucky ole yew. I've been unsuckcessfool in trying rid my PC ovvit.

mine has gone completely quiet on me. The little windows icon on the right (the one that said "we'll let you know when its ready") has disappeared. Nothing to download in updates. Its almost as tho I have been checked out by the comiteee and black balled.

Same here but...

MS emailed me this morning with the information is could be a few hours or weeks even before I'm offered. I think it will come via Windows Update as that also has a message about W10 too, when there isn't a W8.1 update

PC is set to download updates, but only installs when I say so, as I was fed up the thing forcing a restart at the most inopportune times.
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Fri 31 Jul 15 at 09:32

Latest Forum Posts