Computer Related > Lollipop Question Computing Issues
Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 14

Lollipop Question - CGNorwich
Recently upgraded from Kitkat to Lollipop. As fellow users will know there is a square symbol that give access to open apps. Now I tend to acquire a lot of these. To close them you can either swipe each one or hit the X in the corner.

Now my question is "is there anyway you can close them all in one hit' As far as I can see there is not

As an ancillary question is it fact better to leave them all open anyway rather than closing them and then reopening them. I assume the latter would use more power.
 Lollipop Question - No FM2R
I am not surely i properly grasp your question.

However, if you press the button to the left of the home button it will bring up all your recent programs. You can "X" them one by one or you can press the right button which looks like three horizontal lines with an "x" which will clear them all.

Or you can press the left hand button which will bring up all your running programs and give you the option. To "End All"

Does that help?
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 2 Aug 15 at 00:22
 Lollipop Question - ....
You could do that before with the menu button. What has changed in Lollipop ?

To answer Mark's question from yonks ago regarding rooting a phone and why bother. One of the main benefits is you can extend the life way beyond what the manufacturer wants. I've got a Wildfire S running 4.1.2, HTC gave up at 2.6.5
On the other hand if anyone asks you to root something which is restricted to ICS (4.0.n) by the manufacturer tell them you're washing your hair. That is a pig of an OS.
>> You could do that before with the menu button. What has changed in Lollipop ?

Which button does what has changed.
As for rooting, I keep considering having another, hopefully more productive, go with a spare S3 I have at the moment.
 Lollipop Question - ....
On an HTC you have three buttons at the bottom. a < which is the back button, one which looks like a house which takes you back to the home screen and a cascading group of squares which is the menu button.

When you root your phone, the menu button can list all the previously opened apps, tells you how much RAM they have consumed and gives you the option to close them either one by one or as a group.

All our HTC phones are now rooted. As I mentioned previously 2.6.5 to 4.1.2 easy, rooting my One X+ leaving it at 4.2.2 easy, One V rooting leaving at 4.0.3 was a right b*****d. I've got it working, have installed TWRP to create a restore point, I am now seriously considering binning it and going for a custom ROM to 4.1.n.
It was completely unusable before with Viber and WhatsApp, the problem with 4.0.n (ICS) is you can't strip out Flickr, Facebook, Twitter, Talk and all the other bloatware. 4.1.n (JB) gets rid of all that.

There is now a WhatsApp fix available called Bugs Bunny. It's a WhatsApp Doc. I'll get my coat.
Last edited by: gmac on Sun 2 Aug 15 at 01:16
 Lollipop Question - ....
Back to OPs question, yes you can swipe down to remove all open apps from the list however this does not close them similar to clicking on the X does not close them.

To close, you need to long press on each and click on show info or whatever the manufacturer has chosen for their wording. From the you can Force Stop the app and clear the cache.DO NOT DELETE THE DATA, THAT WILL WIPE ALL YOUR CONFIG FOR THAT APP.
Last edited by: gmac on Sun 2 Aug 15 at 01:45
To clarify. It's recent apps that I am talking about.

If you press the square button in the bottom right of the screen you will get an electronic roladex of all recently used apps. This can get pretty unwieldy since there is no way to search rather than scrolling through it. To clear the items the only way seems to be swipe each item from left to right or hit the x in the top right of each item.

In previous version of Android (kitKat) you could kill all these items by touching one button.

It would seem that now you can't.

I assume that having numerous items in recent apps will impair performance. Is this so or is it not something I need to worry about.?

This item explains what I am talking about.

www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/how-recent-apps-work-on-android-5-0-lollipop/

Lollipop Question - Zero

>> In previous version of Android (kitKat) you could kill all these items by touching one
>> button.
>>
>> It would seem that now you can't.
>>
>> I assume that having numerous items in recent apps will impair performance. Is this so
>> or is it not something I need to worry about.?

I have to say I am surprised you have enough apps concurrently open to make it a pain to close them individually. I use lots of apps a lot of the time, but rarely have them all open, at most two or three. Reason being is that open apps take up battery (location services, network services) Bandwidth (network services) and available memory and CPU. Close them down when you are not actively using them.

'I have to say I am surprised you have enough apps concurrently open to make it a pain to close them individually."

Well for example I have a short cut to his forum. If I open that it will store that in recent pages. If I do the same thing later in the day it will store that. If I do a search in Chrome it will store that. If do another search it will store that. If I open an email it will store that. Every time I use an App it stores the last page. Before long I have dozens and dozens of recent pages all needing deleting individually.

I can't see how you can avoid a similar situation.

Lollipop Question - Zero
>>I can't see how you can avoid a similar situation.

Well, for example, rather than open ANOTHER page to this web site, why not open your recently used app page and use that again? Are you seriously telling me you open a new browser instance every time you use this forum?

No wonder you have a gazzilion open items.

It is no hardship closing down apps or instances when you have finished with them, certainly less hardship than trying to find a way to indiscriminately close them all down at once
"Are you seriously telling me you open a new browser instance every time you use this forum?"

Well not everytime but if i want to keep a particular page available for reference I do. similarly with Chrome searches or indeed any other APP.

Deleting them all individually is not the end of the world but when the previous version had a button for a mass delete it seems strange that Android has now removed it.

Apart from this minor issue I like Lollipop. I believe you have the same phone. have you updated yet and how do you find it?

Lollipop Question - Zero
yes i have the same phone, and have updated it. I have mixed feelings about lollipop. The calendar is better, but the browser is worse - I preferred it when it had tabs for open pages, rather than each page being an instance - you end up with lots of applications open that you need to be able to close all at once...............
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 2 Aug 15 at 12:30
" I preferred it when it had tabs for open pages, rather than each page being an instance - you end up with lots of applications open that you need to be able to close all at once..............."

After a lot of googling I bring you the solution:

How you bring Chrome tabs back into the app and out of your recent apps screen:

Open Chrome
Open its menu by tapping on the three little dots in the upper corner
Hit Settings
Open "Merge tabs and apps" and switch it to "Off"

You can then close all tabs in one hit via the Chrome menu.

Lollipop Question - Focusless
>> Now my question is "is there anyway you can close them all in one hit'
>> As far as I can see there is not

Searching for 'close all apps' in Google Play brings up some results that might help, or is that just going to complicate things further?
play.google.com/store/search?q=close%20all%20apps&hl=en_GB
Latest Forum Posts