Computer Related > iPhone Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 17

iPhone - MD
I phones from carphone w****house come unlocked, but lock to the network of the first Sim inserted. This is apparently down to Apple software. Do phones supplied direct from apple do this? Logic tells me yes, but I hope the opposite is true.
 iPhone - Zero
>> I phones from carphone w****house come unlocked, but lock to the network of the first
>> Sim inserted. This is apparently down to Apple software. Do phones supplied direct from apple
>> do this? Logic tells me yes, but I hope the opposite is true.

Its down to the way the phone is activated via iTunes. you can always get your carrier to unlock it again, which is what I did, and then it stays unlocked.
 iPhone - legacylad
I bought my 5S direct from Apple. Have a SiM only deal in the UK and when travelling overseas pop in another SIM. Recently in the USA I bought a 30 day SiM from AT & T which allowed unlimited calls & texts between other AT & T users, and plenty of calls/texts between other networks, although I am not sure how much the allowance was . That cost me $30. For an additional $10 I got 1,000 minutes of calls to UK landlines, but no calls to mobiles. Was a perfect very cheap way of keeping in touch with elderly relatives in the UK.
 iPhone - Falkirk Bairn
As far as I know ALL Carphone Warehouse phones are unlocked...big enough to demand that !! - cuts down massively on cost of stock in Branches.
 iPhone - R.P.
My i5 was on 02 when I bought it. Now running three and there didn't seem a need to unlock it.
 iPhone - zippy
CPW get their phones from distributors and manufacturers so they can specify what they like. The manufacturers don't lock them either. The networks lock them when they buy them, often sending them to subcontractors to set them up and put their software on them.
 iPhone - Zero
>> CPW get their phones from distributors and manufacturers so they can specify what they like.

When it comes to Apple they specify to the networks what happens, so when it comes to a piddling outfit like carphone warehouse, they do as they are told.
 iPhone - FuzzyDuck
Unlocked iPhones bought directly from Apple (and I also believe GiffGaff) do not lock to the first network used. I bought a iPhone 6+ in store and have used in on O2, Virgin (EE) and Vodaphone without any problems.
 iPhone - MD
Thank you all.
 iPhone - Zero
not that i would ever buy an iPhone.............
 iPhone - Bobby
Interestingly my wife got an iphone 3s from O2. It broke down and she took it into Apple store and they gave her an iphone 4 in exchange as the 3s was obsolete at that point.

Both O2 and Apple have been unable to unlock the phone, it is locked to O2, presumably as the first SIM that was in it but neither of them can get it unlocked. And they both have tried!
 iPhone - MD
Please note: iPhone will lock itself to the network of the first SIM card that is used in the phone. Subsequently attempting to use it on any other network, for example by replacing the SIM card, may mean it becomes permanently unusable. SIM free iPhones can only be used with a UK-network SIM card, and will not accept foreign SIM cards.

The above paragraph was copied from the carphonewharehouse site just now.

How can they justify that?

My Son in Law has had two previous iPhones that didn't do this (he says).
 iPhone - Zero
>> How can they justify that?

They justify it because they are doing you the phone at a discount. If you want an unlocked phone you pay full price for it.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 10 Aug 15 at 08:19
 iPhone - legacylad
MD, that statement is plainly incorrect. In my case at least. See my post above. I use an EE SIM only in the UK, and either Verizon or AT & T when in the USA. Not a problem, although a few settings may change when overseas.
 iPhone - MD
I only copied it from their site Sir.
 iPhone - Zero
>> MD, that statement is plainly incorrect. In my case at least.

You bought your phone from Apple, not at a subsidised price from CW. If MD want an unlocked iPhone he pays full price for it at an apple shop.
 iPhone - MD
I would be more than happy to do that just as long as it is truly unlocked.
 iPhone - Zero
www.apple.com/uk/shop/browse/overlay/iphone/about_unlocked
Latest Forum Posts