Computer Related > Windows 10 - Volume 3   [Read only] Computing Issues
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 105

Windows 10 - Volume 3 - VxFan

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 4 *****

==========================================================

Continuing discussion of Microsoft's new operating system.

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 21 Sep 15 at 01:10

Windows 10 - Volume 2 BT Sport - sherlock47
If you were expecting to watch MU vs Spurs this pm start trying NOW!

It seems I am not alone in getting VC019 - 6013 error on trying to stream video. It appears that it is Silverlight related. I have tried all the rec fixes and nothing works.

Tried IE, Edge, Firefox, - updated Silver light, cleared caches etc

Any better ideas?

Hopefully I can watch on Hudl2 if all else fails.

Windows 10 - Volume 2 BT Sport - Falkirk Bairn
>>It seems I am not alone in getting VC019 - 6013 error on trying to stream video. It appears >>that it is Silverlight related. I have tried all the rec fixes and nothing works.

The Old Windows Maxim was do not upgrade until SP1 or in this case until 10.1.xx at least!!!

Windows 10 - Volume 2 BT Sport - Zero
>> >>It seems I am not alone in getting VC019 - 6013 error on trying to
>> stream video. It appears >>that it is Silverlight related. I have tried all the rec
>> fixes and nothing works.
>>
>> The Old Windows Maxim was do not upgrade until SP1 or in this case until
>> 10.1.xx at least!!!

There wont be a 10.1.xx!!!!!! it will be 10 plus whatever MS sticks on it, on line and in real time. you will never know what you are running. You need to let go of this "SPx" idea. It no longer exists.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 8 Aug 15 at 22:36

Windows 10 - Volume 2 BT Sport - No FM2R
No real help, but you must be looking for something particular to BT Sport since I have other streaming sources working.

>> If you were expecting to watch MU vs Spurs this pm start trying NOW!
>>
>> It seems I am not alone in getting VC019 - 6013 error on trying to
>> stream video. It appears that it is Silverlight related. I have tried all the rec
>> fixes and nothing works.

Silverlight is dead, its been sunsetted by MS.

Windows 10 - Volume 2 BT Sport - Slidingpillar
Silverlight is dead, its been sunsetted by MS.

Perhaps somebody ought to tell them that then - I found a recent web page on the MS site that required me to use it.

>> Silverlight is dead, its been sunsetted by MS.
>>
>> Perhaps somebody ought to tell them that then - I found a recent web page
>> on the MS site that required me to use it.

Here is the MS blog that outlines it

blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2015/07/02/moving-to-html5-premium-media/

Here is the key statement

Microsoft Edge and Silverlight

Support for ActiveX has been discontinued in Microsoft Edge, and that includes removing support for Silverlight.

Windows 10 - Volume 2 BT Sport - ....
Win7 was flawless this afternoon. No buffering, suspect all that Win10 traffic freed up bandwidth.
Thank you early adopters, look forwards to joining you in Q4/15 when you've sorted it all out.

Yours thankfully,
William Gates

Windows 10 - Volume 2 BT Sport - Pat
We had this problem and the same error message when trying to watch MotoGP direct from their website Sherlock and the only browser we could use was Chrome.

Have you tried that one Sherlock?

Pat

Chrome gives a message that it no longer supports Silverlight, and you will not be able to watch watch live video content.

Other video content (ie not live) plays ok.

I watched on HUDL2 in the end.

Z - thanks for link it looks as though BTsport have got some problems to sort out!
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Sun 9 Aug 15 at 06:58

Windows 10 - Volume 2 BT Sport - devonite
Whilst Exploring Win 10, I notice there is a file called "Windows.old" on the C. drive. I assume this is what Win 10 will use if I decide to "roll-back", and will probably be deleted when the "roll-back" option expires. Is there any point me copying it to a back-up drive for back-up/repair purposes or not? (it's 40GB so it must be a full Win 7 back-up).

P.S
I watched a "Live" stream from BT Sport Yesterday, (Chelsea v Swansea) with absolutely no problems (if that helps!).

>> Is there any point me
>> copying it to a back-up drive for back-up/repair purposes or not? (it's 40GB so it
>> must be a full Win 7 back-up).

No its not a "back-up" so can't be used to create a win 7 drive if you remove it out of context, i.e. move it to another location.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 9 Aug 15 at 14:40

Windows 10 - Volume 2 BT Sport - devonite
Right Thanks Z!

I think Firefox should still work.

I think Firefox should still work.

Should but does not! (BTSport)

I found a Microsoft Knowledgebase article yesterday on how to do a clean uninstall of Silverlight. Complex and longwinded. Failed to find it again today!
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Sun 9 Aug 15 at 16:45

Perhaps...

support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2608523

(Go down to "Let me fix it myself")
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 9 Aug 15 at 16:52

Good find - thankyou. Not where I was, but had the similar info re uninstall etc. But was more user friendly, with cut and paste options.

However followed to the letter, with browsers closed down etc before re-install etc. Still the same problem. Same on IE11 as well :(

Will now try it again with clean uninstall, followed by restart, before new install.

For the benefit of anybody else! It is now working but note the following...

BT Sport not displaying video VC009 - error with a 4 digit added code?
Windows 10 (update from W7)
Firefox 39.0.3
Silverlight Plugin now 5.1.40416.0 replacing an old version ending '20'

The microsoft auto fixit does not work. ( message 'corrupt install')
The microsoft manual method does not uninstall the silverlight add on from Firefox.
Run the manual method
and also follow the Firefox instructions to remove an add on by renaming a dll file .

Reinstall the latest version of Silverlight.
Ensure it is Enabled in Firefox.

Clear all history and caches from Firefox.
and from the BTSport FAQs
" If the player takes a long time to load, then it may help to clear the PlayReady cache by deleting the mspr.hds file. Then restart your browser and reload BT Sport. Click here for details on how to find the mspr.hds file. "

Finally plays!

Last edited by: sherlock47 on Sun 9 Aug 15 at 19:44

All fairly unbelievable really.

However, and its not obvious, that Windows 10 DOES include Internet Explorer 11. I can't quite tell from your notes whether or not you knew that.

If you simply type "internet explorer" into the search bar, it'll pop up and it works. (I just tried it on mine to be sure)

Whether or not that solves your problem I wouldn't know, but perhaps it helps.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 11 Aug 15 at 01:15

You can also access IE11 directly from Edge - it is initially greyed out until you have downloaded a web page.

(and IE works as a search term).

Windows 10 - Volume 2 Adobe acrobat - Slidingpillar
Despite it being up to date, when I 'upgraded' to W10, I got blurry text on Acrobat reader files - ones which hitherto displayed just fine. Uninstalled it, and reinstalled; unchanged. (No other programs were blurry).

Eventually uninstalled again, then Adobe flash which allowed me to delete the residue files the uninstaller 'helpfully' left. Did a restart (turning off and on does not restart, even though you'd think it should) then re-installed Acrobat reader and Flash. Now works.

Now to double check the iPlayer still works or need mending as it uses Adobe Air.

First cumulative update for Windows 10 - KB3081424 - Observer
This update is apparently making life difficult for some, described as a "reboot loop", because you cannot refuse the update, even after it causes problems on your machine and you roll back. Windows 10 just tries to install it again.

See tinyurl.com/off8g6t (from zdnet.com)

Last edited by: Observer on Mon 10 Aug 15 at 12:08

Windows 10 - Volume 3 - Manatee
I could have a serious problem.

The boss took it upon herself to trigger this update the other day, Lord knows why becuase she normally summons me if it so much as asks for a Java update.

All seemed OK - I fired up my company accounts and Quickbooks fired up.

This morning she has been on it checking her email and all was well. I have just been to use it (time to pay my tax) and there is a very terminal looking light blue screen on it, with a message:

[QUOTE]

:( [yes there really is a sad face emoticon]

Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you. (100% complete.

If you'd like to know more, you can search online later for this erroe:

CRITICAL PROCESS DIED

[UNQUOTE]

If it did restart, it isn't doing now. No response to keyboard.

Any advice? I just hope my accounts backup works on a different machine if it comes to it.
Last edited by: Manatee on Mon 10 Aug 15 at 13:04

Windows 10 - Volume 3 - Focusless
>> Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart.
>>
>> If it did restart, it isn't doing now.

Mine never does (Windows 8 though).

So restart with power button and hope for the best? Not much else I can do other than wait in any case...

I have already discovered that this is a Windows 8 error message. Why am I not surprised.

Windows 10 - Volume 3 - Zero
My test machine is 32 bit. The current issue highlighted is for 64 bit.

One of the major problems with Win 10 (in its consumer guises anyway) is the total inability to control updating, other than to defer the reboot.

Windows 10 - Volume 3 - Focusless
>> So restart with power button and hope for the best?

Sorry - yes, that's what I do. After rebooting into Windows it usually indicates that there was a previous problem (IIRC), then carries on as 'normal'.

Z was right it is a 64 bit installation on the desktop.

On restart, it "processed some updates" for a bit and is now working. I have made an extra couple of backups of my accounts!

Windows 10 - Volume 3 - Mapmaker
Can I get the free version of Win 10 to replace XP?

Thanks.

Windows 10 - Volume 3 - rtj70
>>Can I get the free version of Win 10 to replace XP?

You can download Windows 10 from the links. But you won't have a valid licence key that can be upgraded.

You either need a Windows 10 licence, or upgrade from a Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 licence. Clean installs are allowed for the latter - as long as you have a valid licence key to use for the install.

Windows 10 - Volume 3 - Observer
"...on Tuesday, January 21, Microsoft operating system chief Terry Myerson announced that current users of Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 will be able to upgrade to the new operating system for free as long as they do so within one year of Windows 10's July 29 launch."

Not XP.

>> Can I get the free version of Win 10 to replace XP?
>>
>> Thanks.

No

Windows 10 - Volume 3 - Observer
Mapmaker can still buy Windows 7 for under £70. Is that the cheapest way to go?

I can get windows 10 for 78 quid.

Windows 10 - Volume 3 - No FM2R
What can you get W7 or W8.1 for?

>> What can you get W7 or W8.1 for?

71 & 75

SO given my technical preference for a clean install, I wouldn't pollute it for aless than 10 quid saving
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 10 Aug 15 at 15:47

Windows 10 - Volume 3 - sherlock47
There have been press reports that W10 will install correctly and legitimise previous nonlegit copies of W7. Not sure what it then uses as a CoA?

Will a subsequent new reinstall then work with using the previous CoA??

you would have to side load it, as it wont download to a Win 7 without CoA

be interesting to know if you could install your legit win 7 media on a machine using your legit key, as well as having your win 10 upgrade live on another machine

>>given my technical preference for a clean install, I wouldn't pollute it for a less than 10 quid saving

Makes sense.

Surely that's much cheaper than they said it would be. Which edition is that?
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 10 Aug 15 at 16:37

>>Which edition is that?

Windows 10 64 bit home.

Windows 10 64 bit pro, 109 pounds

>> Mapmaker can still buy Windows 7 for under £70. Is that the cheapest way to
>> go?

No; he could buy a second hand laptop replacing his current one, with Win 7 loaded, for less. All seems too much like hard work!

>> No; he could buy a second hand laptop replacing his current one, with Win 7
>> loaded, for less. All seems too much like hard work!

yeah, any 70 quid laptop loaded with win 7 will be hard work for sure.

For a difference of £39, I doubt that I would ever buy the Home edition, either.

why? Most people here have been upgraded to the home edition. I doubt anyone here needs the features of 10 pro.

Hmmm, The license key for my Win 10 install is different from the key that was my windows 8.1 install, (which being a free upgrade from 7.1) and the key for that is different from the windows 7.1 key.

So question is, could I use any of my "old" keys to install my 'old" os's on other machines?

Let us know when you've tried it!

Will it work? Almost certainly, I would say.

Is it "allowed"? Well now, I didn't read the licence agreement I signed up to when installing/upgrading Windows 10 so I don't know for sure.

I should think it is much like reusing an OEM licence on a replacement computer; Probably not allowed, but unless you're mass producing you are unlikely to be spotted, and even if spotted they'd just mark that one number down as "abused".

Windows 10 - Volume 3 - movilogo
Installed it in Virtual Box.

Hate it. Feels like Windows phone! All my PCs are on Windows 7/Vista. So my first real interaction with Windows tile interface in own PC.

I'll stick with Windows 7 for long time.

PS: I skipped product key part. Will see how long Windows 10 runs without it.

Windows 10 - Volume 3 - Dog
>>I'll stick with Windows 7 for long time.

I'm with ^this Giza.

Windows 10 - Volume 3 - Stuartli
>>PS: I skipped product key part. Will see how long Windows 10 runs without it.>>

If you have OEM versions, then it will skip this point when installing.

As I installed using Virtual Box, it was a clean install. It does show Windows not activated. But hey, I can simply delete the virtual drive if I don't want it.

Glad that I didn't upgrade my Windows 7 PCs. Just can't stand tablet/phone like interfaces in PCs.

>>Just can't stand tablet/phone like interfaces in PCs.

Its not really though, is it.

Its just the standard start menu with a customisable / removable set of icons next to it.

If Microsoft wanted, they could have easily given option to users that "make my Windows look like Windows 7".

But they didn't. Their aim is to deploy same code bases to PCs and tablets to keep their costs down.

That's where my issue is. I use my PC and tablet differently - so I expect to have different interfaces.

Windows 8/10 interface is a step backward compared to Windows 7 IMHO.

I like it.

But that to one side, other than the tiles/icons to the side of the start menu, is there any real difference in appearance between this and W7?

>> I like it.

But that to one side, other than the tiles/icons to the side of the start menu, is there any real difference in appearance between this and W7? >>

On a casual use basis, not really. Most features are just slight variations use wise of previous ones, such as the Search box being permanently visible.

>>If Microsoft wanted, they could have easily given option to users that "make my Windows look like Windows 7".

Or indeed like Windows 95. I don't get these endless redesigns and tweaks. It still does the same thing as before; it just looks different and works differently.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 13 Aug 15 at 13:19

Microsoft simply wants to reduce variations as much as possible. More variation means more things to go wrong and more money to get those fixed.

That's why Windows 10 has auto updates which you can't avoid. Many other software firms have now realized that there is not much money in selling products just once, as software continue to perform in exact same way for infinite time (unlike a car with mechanical degradation).

That's why they are all moving towards "subscription" model.

It will be interesting to see when corporate world upgrades to Windows 10. Many just changed their systems from XP to 7 very recently.

Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 13 Aug 15 at 13:20

>>I don't get these endless redesigns and tweaks. It still does the same thing as before; it just looks different and works differently.

The car industry relies on them, as does clothing, food packaging, restaurants, shop windows, hotels, airports, cinemas etc. etc.

Its how the world spins.

Windows 10 Fist fail! - sherlock47
Yesterday evening this PC suffered a Pink screen lock up - message reconfiguring windows do not switch off. 2 hours later it still remained in that state.

Bit the bullet and pulled the power. (no soft reset, power button not responding).

Very slow reboot, but finall got up the desk top up. However still very unresponsive and nothing at first appeared to run.
However Task Manager and Resource Monitor would run.
- Very little CPU activity
- some HD activity - appeared to be virus checker running on everything, MsMpEng.exe
- -Minimal mem use
- some Network use but not as much as would be expected on attempting to run programs like Skype or Google which are network intensive at start up.

Router and network all checked out ok using Laptop (W7)

Went to bed to see if it would clean itsef up over night.

At 01.30 woke up and had an inspiration - not sure why. Tried another hard reset - still would not boot beyond pink screen. But then pulled out Ethernet connection and it started to Boot to Login screen - indicating No Network. Replugged ethernet and came up as normal albeit lots of disc activity.

Fine ever since. Settings Screen - update history- revealed a Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.203.2033.0) installed on 13/8 but nowhere can I find the time at which it happened.
Worth noting that Uninstall updates does not allow access to information on Defender updates!

Anybody else seen the same? Historically this Dell machine has not always auto restarted from software requests.

Windows 10 Fist fail! - sherlock47
I have since discovered that if you go the MS Defender 'Control Panel'
(access from W10-update &security- use windows Defender)
you can see the time at which the last scan and update were done.

This did not seem to be the root cause of my problem however.

Windows 10 Fist fail! - devonite
Funny you should mention update probs! - I turned off wifey's laptop before getting into bed last night. There were 14 updates ready to install (Win 7), normally no problems, but when I woke this morning it was still churning away trying to install update zero of 14! - since when did MS label an update as Zero??? - some checking to do me thinks! funny how there seems to be probs suddenly since 10 was released.

Windows 10 Fist fail! - madf
My laptop uploaded those W7 updates with no problems (Sony Vaio so no upgrade to W10)

My W10 PC is superb.. Touch wood no problems.. except Number Lock at StartUp not working for days 1&2 - now OK (did nowt).

Windows 10 Fist fail! - No FM2R
No issues on my W10 machine. And there have been updates on 29/07, 30/07, 01/08, 06/08, and a ton of them on 12/08 with no issues.

As an aside I do notice KB3080333 Silverlight. I thought that'd gone away?

Windows 10 Fist fail! - rtj70
Microsoft has stopped developing it. Trouble is companies still use it to protect their streaming media content, e.g. Sky.

Windows 10 Fist fail! - Stuartli
New Silverlight version came out yesterday:

www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/microsoft_silverlight.html

Also, in the course of 24 hours, Firefox has gone from 40.0 to 40.0.1 (I use Waterfox, the 64 bit version), but both use the same profile.

Windows 10 Fist fail! - Slidingpillar
Sony Vaio so no upgrade to W10

The lappy here is also a Sony. I ignored their 'advice' and have had only two very small problems. The biggest was with a bit of commercial software, Adobe Acrobat reader DC. The displayed fonts were all blurry. I got an update only 3 days before W10 so I assumed it was for W10, but it didn't work.

Uninstall and reinstall didn't work; so I uninstalled again and then manually removed all files in Adobe directories too, Flash and Air too. Installed again and it worked, then reinstalled Flash and Air an they work too - and my display of Acrobats is still fine. (I knew it wasn't the display driver as everything else was fine).

Possible I have another issue, but it is so small, I'll ignore it for now.

Windows 10 Fist fail! - Observer
I started up my new PC earlier today. It has Windows 8.1. When I run Windows Update I am offered a mass of items for 8.1 ("important updates") and some optional ones, among them Windows 10. Despite unticking this, if I attempt to download any or all of the others, the first thing it does is to start downloading Windows 10, which I don't want yet, mainly because I have some "legacy programs" that are as yet untested with 10.

Any ideas how I get the important stuff for 8.1 and not 10?

Windows 10 Fist fail! - Zero
Its downloading 10, but you don't have to install it.

Windows 10 MS staff first against the wall... - Slidingpillar
Happily bumbling along and turn on the laptop for the first time today. Utterly misbehaves, and doesn't launch several bits including the start screen (and Cortana apparently, but I've never even seen it). Error message suggests logging off and back on. Which doesn't work.

So three fingered salute given (cntrl-alt-delete) and machine restarted.

Lo and behold, another forced update, but despite the option of a warning message being set (I double checked later) none were received.

Update now installed and the SP laptop is again a happy bunny.

SLR loaded and a big magazine fitted, and come the glorious day, open season on MS.

Windows 10 MS staff first against the wall... - Zero

>> SLR loaded and a big magazine fitted, and come the glorious day, open season on
>> MS.

Its revenge for the fact you dicked about with your previous version of windows so much,

Windows 10 MS staff first against the wall... - Slidingpillar
Oops, I've nearly altered 10 as much. Oddly, I see a computer as a tool to help me do things, not as a showcase for Microsoft.

Windows 10 MS staff first against the wall... - No FM2R
Why not use a different operating system?

Of course you can change the OS as much as you want. Just don't think its Microsoft's fault if then things go a bit curly.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 14 Aug 15 at 10:58

Windows 10 MS staff first against the wall... - Crankcase
All our work PCs are Windows 7 and that's not going anywhere at this moment. Maybe in a year or two.

At home, I still have an ancient XP machine I turn on perhaps twice a year to do something feeble before getting bored again, and that's not going to get updated either - no point in all the hassle explored above by you all in order to be able to press a differently shaped and coloured button to launch a bit of software that will do the same as it does now, in my view.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Mon 17 Aug 15 at 07:56

Windows 10 - Volume 3 Pirates Beware. - sherlock47
What really surprises me is that it has taken so long for somebody to spot the change in T&Cs.

tinyurl.com/pvzsszt

What will become interesting is when falsely (or even correctly) identified softyware stops running at major businesses. I suspect that there wil be a a warning phase on commercial software. Gaming users may not be so lucky.

Perhaps the whole world knew this except me....

I've been using a thing called MagicDisk for as long as i can remember, it allows one to mount an ISO file as a virtual disk.

MagicDisk doesn't work for W10, the only program I have had this issue with.

Turns out though, that if you right click an ISO file, you can mount it. These days the functionality is included in Windows.

Who knew! Not me, that's for sure.

Windows 10 - Volume 3 - Robin O'Reliant
I don't even know what an ISO is.

Not sure I want to.

An ISO file is an exact copy of a CD or DVD. Kind of like a full image backup.

If you burn that ISO to a DVD, it will then be a bootable DVD.

However, that's kind of a pain. So you can keep it in the ISO file, and mount that as a virtual drive. Your system will then treat it exactly as if it was a DVD.

Perhaps explained better here...

pcsupport.about.com/od/termsi/g/isofile.htm

>> I don't even know what an ISO is.

An ISO is a disk image, a kind of virtual disk

>> Who knew! Not me, that's for sure.

Ability to mount an ISO or a VHD was built into windows 8. Found that by accident.

>> Ability to mount an ISO or a VHD was built into windows 8. Found that by accident.

Its very useful. I wonder why it wasn't better communicated.

>> Its very useful. I wonder why it wasn't better communicated.

Probably because techies avoided Windows 8/8.1 and stuck with Windows 7. And those that thought Windows 8 was good were non-technical.

If you watch videos on other devices in your house streamed from your Windows 10 PC now that Media Center and a few other bits and bobs have been discontinued, then you have seemingly three options;

1) Stop watching videos.
2) Spend hours trying to configure Windows 10 to share and then stop watching videos.
3) Install something else. In my case KODI, which is dead simple and works.

Installing KODI all I had to do was click on the directories storing my videos and off it went.

XBox, two DVD Player / Media Streaming things and 3 dedicated media streamers all working again.

Also Plex and MediaPortal are available, along with the included Windows DVD Player.

I tried MediaPortal,.

No doubt its very good, and it certainly seemed to have extensive functionality, but I found it too complex and hard work, so I junked it.

I really prefer simple tools which do what they say on the tin, and don't try to be all things to all men.

I didn't try Plex. I'll have a look.

Kodi is an offshoot or derivation of XMBC. I think it is.

>>Kodi is an offshoot or derivation of XMBC

I think its XMBC renamed.

Its working very well. Clearly its meant more for a dedicated machine, but it is doing all the stuff we want.

There was one irritation in that it didn't run "windowed". However, once its started pressing "\" sorts that out.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 24 Aug 15 at 13:00

>>I think it's XMBC renamed" >>

Quite correct.

kodi.tv/about/

Plex:

plex.tv/
Last edited by: Stuartli on Mon 24 Aug 15 at 13:53

Windows 10 - removing upgrade pop up? - Ambo
How can I get rid of the pop-up that appears on the VDU every time I start my computer which says "Your FREE uograde is waiting"?
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 21 Sep 15 at 01:11

Windows 10 - removing upgrade pop up? - Stuartli
>> How can I get rid of the pop-up that appears on the VDU every time I start my computer which says "Your FREE uograde is waiting"?>>

Microsoft Support advice:

microsoft-news.com/how-to-remove-windows-10-upgrade-notification-on-windows-7-and-windows-8/

Windows 10 - removing upgrade pop up? - commerdriver
>> How can I get rid of the pop-up that appears on the VDU every time
>> I start my computer which says "Your FREE uograde is waiting"?
>>
VDU - now there's a term I haven't heard in years
No reason why not, just saying

Windows 10 - removing upgrade pop up? - Stuartli
>> VDU - now there's a term I haven't heard in years. No reason why not, just saying>>

You probably haven't been monitoring the change in use of such acronyms and words...:-)

75m+ Win 10 devices already... - smokie
"A little under a month after the OS formally launched, 75M+ devices are running Windows 10 (MSFT +1.8%), VP Yusuf Mehdi discloses through a tweetsorm. On July 31, Mehdi stated Win. 10 downloads had topped 14M over the first 24 hours"

75m+ Win 10 devices already... - No FM2R
>>tweetsorm

A what?? What on earth is one of those?

75m+ Win 10 devices already... - Observer
">>tweetsorm

A what?? What on earth is one of those?"

Even I can guess it's a "tweetstorm".

Lots and lots of tweets in rapid succession, as in Twitter.

A bit like the dawn chorus, or something.

Ok, well I didn't twig. I read it as "twee tsorm" And thought it was little something.

That's said, I don't use and never have used Twitter, but understand it to be like SMS but going to lots of people who have chosen to receive your messages.

So now, even though I understand what the words mean (Thank you), I still don't really get what it is.

75m+ Win 10 devices already... - smokie
I was quoting directly (cut and paste) from somewhere so I've no idea. I do read Twitter, following my favourite comedians who can be very funny on there. Found this on here www.techopedia.com/definition/29624/twitterstorm

"A Twitterstorm is a sudden spike in activity surrounding a certain topic on the Twitter social media site.

"A Twitterstorm is often started by a single person who sends his or her followers a message often related to breaking news or a controversial debate. Using a certain and often original hashtag, the tweet quickly spreads as people are notified of the message and then reuse the hashtag with subsequent retweets and tweets."

It goes on to say

"According to research by Precise, a UK-based business information monitoring group, there are three types of Twitterstorms:
The perfect Twitterstorm: Starts on Twitter, is picked up by traditional press and through various feedback loops and reaches a wide audience, even those who are not on Twitter.
The storm in a cup: A story that generates a relatively small interest on Twitter but is picked up by traditional media, so it still garners quite a wide audience. This usually occurs the mainstream media attempts to anticipate online trends before they actually occur.
The Twitter-only storm: A story that gains a significant volume of attention on Twitter but only might be of interest to a specific group and is not picked up by mainstream media.
A Twitterstorm is an effective way to quickly spread an idea or opinion. It has become a regular part of the repertoire of tools used by advertisers and organizations."

75m+ Win 10 devices already... - BrianByPass

>> That's said, I don't use and never have used Twitter, but understand it to be
>> like SMS but going to lots of people who have chosen to receive your messages.
>>

I have found Twitter useful for keeping up to date with an event that I wish to follow in real time - although it is probably only once or twice a month - by searching for tweets under the relevant hashtag. You don't have to have an account with Twitter for that.

Two months ago, I found it useful to join Twitter when told that it would be the quickest way to resolve a missing parcel issue with Parcel Force. Since then I have discovered that it works with other companies too - you get a written response quite quickly, where sending an email or contacting them by phone fails to get a satisfactory reply.

Can you send a tweet just to a specific person then? I didn't realise that.

75m+ Win 10 devices already... - VxFan
>> Can you send a tweet just to a specific person

Yes, or to give it the proper name, Direct Message.

about.twitter.com/directmessages
support.twitter.com/articles/14606#

Like BrianByPass, I've found it useful to follow events and such like. e.g. Bournemouth Air Festival - get free notification of what time and plane is performing. Saves having to buy a brochure.
 75m+ Win 10 devices already... - Zero

>> Like BrianByPass, I've found it useful to follow events and such like. e.g. Bournemouth Air
>> Festival - get free notification of what time and plane is performing. Saves having to
>> buy a brochure.

Indeed, use it to check progress of live events. If you target it, and don't follow every eejit on the planet, its like a mini news channel.
 75m+ Win 10 devices already... - Pezzer
+1

Many tweets will have URLs to their website if you want more details than just the headline. So for example if you follow BBC News or The Telegraph or even a specific journalist it will take you to the article.

75m+ Win 10 devices already... - spamcan61
>>
>> Like BrianByPass, I've found it useful to follow events and such like. e.g. Bournemouth Air
>> Festival - get free notification of what time and plane is performing. Saves having to
>> buy a brochure.
>>
Same here, also use it for local radio / highways agency / police traffic reports.

75m+ Win 10 devices already... - BrianByPass
>> Can you send a tweet just to a specific person then?
>>

Yes, and you can choose to keep your Tweets private.

As for using it, you have to figure out which search term gives you best results. For example if l was looking for cause of delays on SW trains, I find that using both @ and # separately are necessary to hit more results:
twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=%40sw_trains&src=typd
twitter.com/search?q=%23sw_trains&src=typd

( while searching recently for updates on when a broken down train was going to be moved from the track, someone tweeted a link to this source for real time train positions
www.opentraintimes.com/maps
Link may be of use to some trainspotters! )

I am still not sure how to follow all conversations. For example earlier today I followed up a report in the Telegraph to read the twitter spat between Brian Krebs and user named Thadeus Zu about the alleged identity of the Ashley Madison hacker:
twitter.com/deuszu
I found it tedious to have to click on "view conversation" numerous times to follow what was being discussed, and soon gave up. I don't know if there a simple click button on Twitter (as here on car4play) that can display all tweets either as threaded or expanded.

75m+ Win 10 devices already... - Zero

>> ( while searching recently for updates on when a broken down train was going to
>> be moved from the track, someone tweeted a link to this source for real time
>> train positions
>> www.opentraintimes.com/maps
>> Link may be of use to some trainspotters! )

open train times is ok as far as it goes, but lacks all train movements and only has stations as search points. Those with a need to know everything going on everywhere use www.realtimetrains.co.uk/advanced.

Latest Forum Posts