Computer Related > Configuring new PC Computing Issues
Thread Author: Observer Replies: 11

Configuring new PC - Observer
The other week I got the new PC I'd been promising myself. It's got Windows 8.1, which I thought I'd keep for a while, especially as I have some "legacy" programs that are as yet untried on W10.

One of its features is an SSD as Drive C.

I don't rate myself as being much of an expert, but I read that limiting the amount of data written to an SSD is a good idea, so I have moved the page file and temp folders to Drive D.

(So far I don't seem to have messed anything up, but this is right on the limit of what I feel comfortable doing.)

Any comments, or further advice?
 Configuring new PC - No FM2R
I don't have any advice to offer, but I quite fancy one myself. An SSD that is.

But I have 750GB or thereabouts of installed programs, and reinstalling that lot is just off-putting.

I shall be watching your experiences with interest though.
 Configuring new PC - Zero

>> But I have 750GB or thereabouts of installed programs, and reinstalling that lot is just
>> off-putting.

why not clone it onto an SSD?
I didn't think you could get SSDs that big.
www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-mSATA-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B00HFD9CM2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439928733&sr=8-1&keywords=msata+ssd+1tb

Thank you. Outstanding, I didn't know that.

Configuring new PC - Observer
My SSD is: 960GB KINGSTON V310 SSD, SATA 6 Gb

Interesting point about the pagefile (below).
Last edited by: Observer on Tue 18 Aug 15 at 21:32
 Configuring new PC - smokie
Yeah SSDs have a finite number of read/write operations, which has improved since they first came out but is still there. So moving the paging file off is good.

If you can, move data off the C drive too - this reduces contention but mainly leaves you a reasonably small disk to backup up (image) - use Macrium Reflect for this. You can take an image of the C drive while the system is running. If things go wrong you can restore the whole image over the disk, or just restore parts of it - Reflect is a really good genuinely free product. I'd certainly take an image before too much gets on there, just to minimise time and space.

My C drive is 88 Gb with quite a considerable amount of programs. The data is all elsewhere, as far as I can manage it.
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 18 Aug 15 at 20:30
If you are going to restrict the SSD to the minimum amount of operations there is really no point in having one. FFS why put the page file, the one you need fastest access to, onto the slowest drive?

Modern SSDs are just like a regular hard drive when it comes to reliability. Use it like one.

Configuring new PC - rtj70
Samsung made big improvements with their 3D V-NAND which the others have caught up with (finally). TLC NAND had limited writes when it was being shrunk down through the process sizes (to make is cheap) but with stacked 3D NAND Samsung moved back up to larger process sizes.

So now you can have the capacity, performance and endurance and a good price. We all win. For better endurance MLC variants are available.

As for page files.... I'd hope most new PCs rarely make use of paged memory. With high GBs RAM the reason for having it at all for most is no longer there. When PCs had a few hundred MB RAM then yes it was needed. With say 8GB+.... not so sure.

I know Windows put files into the virtual memory space etc. But with enough RAM you shouldn't need much/any page file space.
 Configuring new PC - spamcan61
>> If you are going to restrict the SSD to the minimum amount of operations there
>> is really no point in having one. FFS why put the page file, the one
>> you need fastest access to, onto the slowest drive?
>>
>> Modern SSDs are just like a regular hard drive when it comes to reliability. Use
>> it like one.

Like he said
 Configuring new PC - ....
I put a SanDisk SSD in my desktop in Nov. 2013 to use as my C drive (OS and essential programs). It's only 64 gig, it was an experiment to see what the fuss was about.
I wouldn't be without one now. Latest diagnostic on the drive a few weeks back said it still had 96% of its life remaining. That'll will no doubt have the caveat of until it crashes.

I did move the pagefile to a mechanical drive as was previously recommended, as in back in the early days of SSD. No issues with speed, the PC came with 8 gig of RAM back in 2008. I think I've maxed it (RAM) out twice in 7 years that I'm aware of.
Last edited by: gmac on Wed 19 Aug 15 at 05:49
Latest Forum Posts