Computer Related > Email service hijack Computing Issues
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 6

Email service hijack - Ambo
Two people in my email address book have received messages, allegedly from me, offering business services. This kind of spam is new on me. Has anyone else experienced it? Can anyone advise what to do about it? If it can be done, it can be done to anyone with an email service. That includes me, if I change my own address.
 Email service hijack - VxFan
>> Can anyone advise what to do about it?

Like most spam, ignore it.
 Email service hijack - Zero
>> Two people in my email address book have received messages, allegedly from me, offering business
>> services. This kind of spam is new on me. Has anyone else experienced it? Can
>> anyone advise what to do about it? If it can be done, it can be
>> done to anyone with an email service. That includes me, if I change my own
>> address.

I assume this is an MS outlook or Hotmail address? It might not be you thats been hijacked, anyone who uses hotmail and or outlook and has your address in their address book may have been hijacked.

No there is nothing you can do about it, while anyone else has your address in their address book.
MS Outlook but, from what you say, it makes no difference.
 Email service hijack - No FM2R
No, it makes no difference.

When you say MS Outlook, do you mean that is the client you are using on your computer, or your email address is name@outlook.com?

In any case, this sort of thing can happen in a number of ways;

Someone else in your circle of friends had exposed their address book. The spam then randomly uses one contact in that address book as the spoof From: address and sends email to everybody else in that address book.

You have exposed your address book and the above happens.

Somebody sent an email with a large number of people in the To: or CC: and that email header has been used.

A specific computer can be compromised and then the address book used.

There are more, and often they are used in combination. etc. etc.

However, the chances are that the emails are NOT from you, they just say that they are. Its very easy to do.
 Email service hijack - smokie
... and there is nothing you can do about it... (of which I'm aware....)
>>your email address is name@outlook.com?

It is name@btinternet.com
Latest Forum Posts