Computer Related > Desktop won't start at all. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 10

Desktop won't start at all. - Pat
Lenovo running Windows 7.

Had updates on Friday but declined installing Windows 10 until later.

Got up this morning and turned it on to find although the light comes on on the tower the screen is completely blank with no noises coming from anywhere.

I have turned off and on a few times but nothing happens.

Where do I go from here please?

Pat
 Desktop won't start at all. - sherlock47
The latest cumulative update for W10 is suggesting that it will take 15-20 minutes to complete on a power on retart.

Are you leaving it 20 minutes of blank screen before panicking?
 Desktop won't start at all. - smokie
"no noises coming from anywhere"

Do you normally hear mechanical noises from the tower, like the fan whirring?

Do you normally see BIOS screens shortly after starting up and before Windows loads?
 Desktop won't start at all. - Dog
>>Where do I go from here please?

PC World?
 Desktop won't start at all. - Zero
sounds like nothing to do with the updates. you unplug everything from the pc except the mains lead and the display lead. Then turn it on. If it still fails to start you need to take it to a repair man. Sounds like its a hardware failure.
It was the monitor kaput:)

I'd had it 10 years and it works hard.

Mr Sensible Head got up and plugged the PC into the TV and it worked, back into the monitor and it flickered on and off then went off again so it's off to Curry's for a new one.

Thanks all;)

Pat
 Desktop won't start at all. - VxFan
>> so it's off to Curry's for a new one.

Far cheaper on-line. I got one from ebuyer when mine died.
Not so the one I wanted.

Ebuyer didn't do it, and I did buy it online via Curry's click and collect.

I checked with Price Spy and I could have got it up to £7 cheaper online at various outlets and had to pay a delivery charge on top.

Convenience is worth that for me, but I will say you all look vey crisp and clean today....have you all decided to have a wash?

Pat
 Desktop won't start at all. - Bromptonaut
All this on line stuff is fine and dandy until you need a distress purchase. Then you find all but the fastest shifting stuff is on line only with 2-10 days lead time. Issue for us earlier this year when the hob went west.

Currys had the opposite of click collect - order in store for delivery from warehouse. That had it in our hands before the plumber could visit to fit but not much elsewhere. After all, you plan your kitchen upgrade in advance don't you.
 Desktop won't start at all. - spamcan61
>>
>> I checked with Price Spy and I could have got it up to £7 cheaper
>> online at various outlets and had to pay a delivery charge on top.
>>
I've often found that Currys isn't significantly dearer than online alternatives on many 'big ticket' items, presumably so they can lure you into the store and flog you a pointless extended warranty or mind blowingly expensive USB cables etc.
I needed to put together a 4 page Charity Newsletter this morning at 2am (my most creative time of day!) as we're off down to Cornwall again on Saturday.

Tryingto work with a TV as a screen wasn't an option for that so a distress purchase was well worth it.

The Flysheet is now churning out on my printer which will be finished at some point tomorrow!

Pat
Latest Forum Posts