Computer Related > Temporary office setup Computing Issues
Thread Author: nice but dim Replies: 7

Temporary office setup - nice but dim
I've been asked to setup a temporary office, most likely in a portakabin for a 6 month job we are doing.

The brief is for 6 users, 2 printers and telephones.

PC's/laptops, printers no problem and hopefully we can connect the phones via our Mitel WAN gateway at head office via VPN.

The only stumbling block is getting a phone/broadband line in there in time (I have 4 weeks!).

Just looking up 4G LAN router option with a suitable SIM card with say 16-32GB monthly allowance, whilst waiting for fixed line costs and times.

EE coverage checker says the area (MK17) is covered by superfast 4G, I may need to go and check with a 4G phone at somepoint.

Do you reckon this is do-able over 4G network. It has to be stable enough for me not to be endlessly going 100 miles to fix things!

Just throwing it out there for thoughts/experiences.
 Temporary office setup - Zero

>> Just throwing it out there for thoughts/experiences.

You'll need to do a quick traffic analysis and take a 4g phone to site and do a speed test. What is the main WAN use likely to be? email, web searches stuff like that it will be fine. I've worked on site over some pretty ropey connections int he past.
Well mainly email traffic, but due to the nature of work there may be the few odd 4-5MB document per day per user, voice traffic and as its 6 months maybe the Windows updates but I would set them to manually before hand and only install what is necessary.

I would be more comfortable with a fixed line but I suspect 4G would be faster and cheaper and crucially be able to be delivered faster.
Cheers Z
 Temporary office setup - Zero
As long as everyone is sensible, and doesn't stream live video, I think a 4g WAN link will cope.
The fastest I ever got a BT line installed was 12 days, and that was pulling a lot of favours from a senior BT account manager.
Pretty good skills there, I've got fixed line quotes on the way but I suspect another option will be forced once they are revealed.
 Temporary office setup - Falkirk Bairn
Are you the only Office / BB user on the site.

As a temporary solution could you not chat up other companies and
maybe piggyback their BB for a week or so?
FB - I wont be working there, just 6 of our engineers/project managers. I will be 100 miles away in Sheffield sat in a nice warm office :)

As it stands the site is under construction currently but there is a BT presence there as some site facilities require communications so we can tap in to that DP.

Just whittling away the quotes and chasing them this morning. The 4G options don't look too bad actually. £40 for 32GB but albeit on a 24 month contract, prices hike when on a month by month basis. Had word of another similar project to run simultaneously with some of the dates, just to muddy the waters!
Latest Forum Posts