Computer Related > PC Specification Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 25

PC Specification - No FM2R
Related to this school I'm working in...

What's a reasonable spec for a desktop PC running Windows 10, Office 365, no video editing, no games, most files on a file server or in the cloud? domain member.

Disc about 500Gb is more than enough
4GB RAM?
How many GHz CPU?
Network capabilities?
Audio capabilities?
Anything else?

I want to put a quick spec together to gain non-binding indicative quotes from a variety of PC suppliers for 200 or so PCs, purchase and lease.

PC Specification - rtj70
Disk - about 500GB will be ample
RAM - 8GB minimum IMO
CPU - AMD CPU's likely to be available in the cheaper PCs, but a Core i3 would be ample. But a Pentium or Celeron probably would too.
Network - Any desktop will come with GB Ethernet and probably WiFi. You don't say if WiFi needed
Audio - Standard inbuilt audio of typical chipset will be fine - plus some decent speaker

Anything else - anti-virus for starters
Something like this...?

Processor: >2.4GHz
Hard Disc: 500 GB
RAM: 8 GB DDR3L 1600 MHz (Maximum supported >8GB)
Video: Integrated Intel HD
Optical drive: DVD-RW 24X
Access panel (front)
2 USB 2.0
1 x audio, microphone
Access panel (rear)
1 x COM
1 x HDMI
1 x D-Sub (VGA)
1 x LAN (RJ45)
1 x USB 3.0
4 x USB 2.0
3 x Audio jack(s)
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 24 Sep 15 at 18:15
Excellent point;

Anti virus
Windows 10 64

and....?
 PC Specification - rtj70
Decent keyboard and mouse. Plus of course a decent sized monitor.

I know you're likely to get PC/monitor together as a package and so too the mouse and keyboard. But they are considerations.

What about printing? I assume they have file/print servers and some network printers?

Do they need scanners?
 PC Specification - ....
Two screens are nice to have especially if you're presenting on a conference call and want access to other material off screen to field questions.
Last edited by: gmac on Thu 24 Sep 15 at 18:53
 PC Specification - Zero
Remove the CD/ DVD drive, don't want pupils loading stuff or watching vids. You'll also want the USB ports disabled in BIOS
Good point on the optical drive, but I think disabling the USB ports will be too restrictive, at least in the beginning.

Does anybody know how much someone like PC World would charge to come to your house and configure it all for you?

If they do such a thing.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 24 Sep 15 at 19:37
 PC Specification - rtj70
>> Does anybody know how much someone like PC World would charge to come to your house and
>> configure it all for you?

What all 200 of the PCs? I'm sure there are better options than PC World. 200 PCs is a reasonable number for a supplier to want to offer a good service.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 24 Sep 15 at 19:53
No. I should explain.

Parents here have a very low level of technical expertise, they don't particularly spend lots of time with their children, but they all panic about having the best and internet safety.

My idea is that the school should let several suppliers quote on the schools requirements. The school has an IT department which is quite capable of installing its own PCs.

However, I would like to set a spec suitable for a student's computer which will have the appropriate level of power and facilities.

Within the school there is an amount of educational applications which the students use.

In addition, I am trying to help the school understand why implementing a cloud based, office 365 solution for the school and the students would be worthwhile and facilitate paperless working both in the school and at home with all material and data available in both locations.

To add to that I would like to offer the parents the same PC, with internet safety and anti virus software, the school educational software, Office 365 account and access, coupled with a installation/configuration service for the home.

There are 600 students. You have as much idea as I how many parents will take up the offer, but it will be a great deal more than none. And since the school takes children from about 3 through to 15, then it will be an ongoing and growing market for the supplier.

I would like the teachers to move across to a BYOD approach, and so will need to be pretty specific about what they will need and ensure that a good deal is available.

Equally the school will grow to around 450 PCs, iPads, Tablets & Laptops - of which about 100 will be BYOD. And I imagine the PCs will have a life of 3 years ish, and so a replacement program will also need to be put in place.

Could be a win all round.

So, I am putting together a rough spec of hardware, software and services to use as a business plan input.

There's loads more to it than that, but that's an overview and this is pretty advanced stuff for Chile!!

This is all a [small] part of my strategy for justifying what will be a substantial increase in the school fees that the parents pay, and for raising the school to a different position in the private education sector.

As well as sorting out their profitability, operational and cost efficiency issues.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 24 Sep 15 at 20:11
 PC Specification - Focusless
Don't know how important it is to keep the price down, but for the sort of tasks you mention, you probably could get away with 4GB:

www.pcauthority.com.au/Feature/375815,how-to-how-much-ram-do-you-really-need.aspx

Even during our Real World Multi-apps test – which opens several major applications at once – our test system’s total RAM usage never topped 4GB.

And CPU performance isn't always just about clock speed - I'd look at some sort of benchmarks as well eg.
www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php
The advantage of GHz is that its an easy spec to change / alter. I didn't really want to say a specific chip because the models change, new ones get brought out etc. etc.

You might want to decide in advance whether to go for Intel or AMD - former is 'better' but generally more expensive for the same performance, running typical apps anyway. So again, if you wanted to save a bit of money (which I guess might be a lot of money if you're buying 200 of the things), AMD might be the way to go.
>>former is 'better'

That used to be the case with drivers and things, is that still the case? I didn't think it mattered so much these days
 PC Specification - RattleandSmoke
Ghz is not really that relevant, it is like comparing engine sizes, a modern 1.2 with a turbo is probably faster than a 2.0 litre naturally aspirated from 30 years ago.

Type the name of the CPU into google, followed by benchmark to get an idea. You really want something with a score of 3000 or above.

I am a big fan of the Pentium G series for basic office/school tasks. Something like the pentium G3450.

Also if you're getting smaller suppliers to source the machines make sure you know what PSU you're getting. Some companies such as Zoostorm are known to fit some very cheap and nasty PSUs into their systems which not be ideal for school use.

I would personally look at the Fujitsu, Lenovo Thinkcentre and Dell Optiplex ranges as they are business grade machines. For suppliers have a look at Spire, Target and Entaonline to see if they will offer big discounts for bulk. RM and Stone seem to be biggest suppliers in the education market.

Edit also 8GB of RAM is a must, the actual price difference is £15 per machine, I know that adds up when dealing with a huge number of machines but 8GB means there is a lot more leeway for future trends and will be better for video editing etc (I know schools now teach that).

Audio - I am sure in a school environment stereo is fine
Network - I think a lot of motherboards now feature 1Gbps ethernet, but it is worth checking this if it is required. If the school is wired in cat5 then it is not relevant anyway, all motherboards come with an ethernet port.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Thu 24 Sep 15 at 21:02
>>Ghz is not really that relevant, it is like comparing engine sizes, a modern 1.2 with a turbo is probably faster than a 2.0 litre naturally aspirated from 30 years ago.

Ok, but if I am comparing two engine sizes in modern cars, its a much better indicator than a modern car vs an old one.

So if I say I want 2.4GHz, for example, it is going to run anything I want. And by and large, a modern 2.5 is faster than a modern 2.0.

If I specify a particular chip, then I'm missing out on potential bargains, savings and changes in the marketplace.

If I don't specify a CPU, they will find some ancient old stock from somewhere and I'll be getting a 1960s 2litre.

I looked at a couple of benchmark websites, and with CPUs of a similar age, their benchmark score is reasonably in line with the GHz, at least in rank.

With the activity that the students are likely to do it would seem that most, probably all, modern chips would cope easily. So if I pick an arbitrary largish number, say 2.5GHz, then surely I'm going to protect myself from the crap even if I don't get the best available performance?

Or am I being overly simplistic?
>> >>former is 'better'
>>
>> That used to be the case with drivers and things, is that still the case?

Not really - they might be lower power and/or run cooler and/or have more capacity for overclocking. But I get the impression none of those are particularly important for your customers.

On the other hand, having Intel CPUs does give them more showroom appeal, which might mean you can sell more, albeit at a higher price.
Last edited by: Focusless on Thu 24 Sep 15 at 21:04
>> none of those are particularly important for your customers.

No, I don't think so. These really are generally use school PCs for 5 - 15yr old to do their school work.

I there is a need for video editing, which at this time there is not, then a small number of "better" machines woudl be acquired.
 PC Specification - RattleandSmoke
OK well avoid the AMD Sempron and the Intel Celeron N series, on paper they look but they really are basic. The socket 1150 Heswell Celerons are perfectly fine, and are very cheap.
 PC Specification - Stuartli
>>..someone like PC World would charge to come to your house and configure it all for you?>>

Amazed you'd even remotely consider such an idea......
 PC Specification - spamcan61
>> >>..someone like PC World would charge to come to your house and configure it all
>> for you?>>
>>
>> Amazed you'd even remotely consider such an idea......
>>
I assume it's just to get a 'top end' pricing benchmark. :-)
Which idea is that Stuart? Trying to get pricing clues or expecting PC World to travel 8,000 mles to install a PC?

Feel free to make your suggestions if you have any.
 PC Specification - Stuartli
I wasn't aware you are so far away, but the thinking was that those who know such big name high street outlets here (and I'm sure they well know who I mean), wouldn't touch them with the proverbial barge pole for such set up or similar requirements.

Give you a recent example, although there have been many more serious types over the years...:-)

tinyurl.com/phkqmut
>>I wasn't aware you are so far away

Well to be fair its a pretty closely guarded secret.
Don't know anything about this sort of thing, but if this is for 'educational' reasons, might you be able to get someone like Intel involved financially in exchange for a bit of publicity? Might limit the choice of CPUs of course :)
www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/education/intel-education.html
Latest Forum Posts